Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop

Unread 10-02-2002, 11:44 PM   #1
Kendo_Bunny
A whiter shade of pale

Um... have a question ^^;

Well, my sister is new to anime fandom, but she absolutely loves rave music. When I told her about J-rock raves, she positively couldn't wait to go to one. But the thing I need help with is she wants a really good J-rocker costume... and I'm not good with remembering J-rock costumes ^^;; I'd like to have some suggestions to pass along to her... for a description, she's tall and thin with blond and pink hair. I don't think she particularly cares who she goes as, as long as her costume looks good.
Can anyone help me with this, or should i just stop now?

Please do not disturb: I'm playing with my mental blocks

The Pessimists Pep Talk: Don't lose heart: they might want to cut it out and they want to avoid a lengthy search.
Kendo_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2002, 05:07 PM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

If she doesn't know anything about J-rock or care what she wears, then you might as well just pick something you want to make anyway. You might start by just searching the net for general j-rock sites (Japanese Channel has a lot of pictures) and find something you like. You could also try searching different groups/musicians to find pictures; some of the most popular bands/cosplays are Malice Mizer and Dir en Grey. But really... if "some kind of j-rocker" is ALL you have to go on, why not just design something unique? Or why have her go as a j-rocker at all, if she'd be just fine with wearing anything? Just doll her up and turn her loose.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2002, 09:57 PM   #3
Kendo_Bunny
A whiter shade of pale

All right... Sorry, I'm still kind of new at this. Thanks for the help ^_^

The Pessimists Pep Talk: Don't lose heart: they might want to cut it out and they want to avoid a lengthy search.
Unread 10-09-2002, 06:28 PM   #4
lemoned
Perveyor of Happy Jellies

er.... she might not want to cosplay if she doesn't know anything about it. People who cosplay without know anything about who they cosplay are f*cked up.
Unread 10-09-2002, 06:40 PM   #5
Kendo_Bunny
A whiter shade of pale

Well, we've decided to go with the doll her up option. I'm still a pretty new fan to J-rock, and she's brand new, so I was hoping working on a costume could help us learn some more about it ^^;

Unread 10-11-2002, 03:52 PM   #6
lemoned

yes... well, my point was that cosplayers who don't know anything about the band they're cosplaying are REALLY looked down upon.

untill you get situated in the jrock scene, you might just want to wear some random lolita dresses or something of your own creation that looks like jrock.

Last edited by lemoned : 10-11-2002 at 03:55 PM.
lemoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 06:13 PM   #7
plastiknife

I'm confused... I've never heard of a j-rock rave. I go raving all the time (ah yes, it's out. i'm a silly little raver) but never have I head of a j-rock rave. I'd assume since it's JROCK that it wouldn't be techno they are playing? could you clear this up?

(EASTSIDE WUT WUT!!?!?!)
plastiknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 10:15 PM   #8
Kendo_Bunny
A whiter shade of pale

Well, the one I went to they had rave re-mixes of J-rock songs... and I was asking now because the next local one is in about ten months, so we'd have plenty of time to learn about the band. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, since she's got some pretty cool stuff anyway.

Unread 10-12-2002, 04:20 PM   #9
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

Quote:
Originally posted by lemoned
yes... well, my point was that cosplayers who don't know anything about the band they're cosplaying are REALLY looked down upon.
This may be true, but I try to be more welcoming. I really got the cold shoulder by a lot of cosplayers when I was first wandering into it a few years back and I know it really made me feel bad about myself. I too, think it's a little silly to grasp at the surface of cosplay by just picking out a picture of some random J-Rocker or anime character and doing a costume of them knowing nothing about them, but still...

Perhaps you should download your sister some j-rock music and let her see if she likes it, then show her some Mana costumes and such. J-Rock is becomming quite the popular thang these days so finding some cosplay pics will not be hard.
Unread 10-16-2002, 07:56 PM   #10
Nabeshin
Ex-Cosplayer

Well if you have plenty of time to find out what she could be into..then do some research!
my webpage has a little JRock for newbies section..check out the link on the banner below...it has short mp3 clips of some Jrock tunes for sampling..and some basic general info. (yes that's an absolutely shameless plug...but i put it up there so more people could get into JRock ^^ )

....speaking of which I need to update that page some... *fires up photoshop*

Last edited by Nabeshin : 10-16-2002 at 07:59 PM.
Nabeshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 09:13 PM   #11
die-sama
xxxxx

Hmmm well,, see i was guilty of doing a Jrock costume i had NO idea about..well i acutalyl KNEW the band..just never listened to music..ppl needed me for the cosplay *Cough Yura cough* anyways
I DL music...got into the band..hey ^^ i acutally like them
but my other Jrock cosplays are all from bands i LIKE ^^
heh
but the thing is
jrock cosplayers as well as other cosplayers are welcomed
but...the thing is....jrock is the SAME as anime ^^:;;
i'm not tryin to be "mean" but....a lot of ppl...put on a tie..some whit makeup "hey i'm a jrock cosplayer" er...no ur not ^^;
So dollign ur sister up would be cute ^_^ but...i dunno if its called Cosplay? unless u literally translate it into.."Csotume play" but i duno..makes me thinkits just..dress up
but heck dressing up aint bad
Does ur sister like Lolita style? ^^
If she does..maybe something from the Lolita bible would be cute. etc

who knows..maybe u'll get hooked on aj rock band and u'll know EVERYTHING about them *giggles* then hey! go ahead and show ur fandom! *cosplay them ^_^

ja~
Unread 11-02-2002, 12:08 PM   #12
Kendo_Bunny
A whiter shade of pale

Thanks for the responses. As far as I've seen, she doesn't quite get what Goth Lolita is, but for her dark elf character, she inadvertently has some bits and pieces. (She plays a cute, innocent little girl dark elf ^^; ) But once I get paid I'm planning on buying a Lolita bible and illustrating it to her.

*goes to investigate Nabeshin's website*

Unread 11-04-2002, 01:04 PM   #13
soshi
onna kaizoku

um, no, Jrock is not the same as anime.

anime is animated stories with imaginary character. jrock is real people putting on real clothes and making music. anime cosplay and jrock cosplay is very different, because with anime (and game, manga, ect), you are free to interperet the costume - ie, the fabric, exact shades, materials, ect. with jrock, you don't have that freedom, because you are mimicing a REAL outfit, so you can see the EXACT fabric, materials, colors, ect.

if you want to cosplay "jrock", but don't know much about it, and are unsure, just throw together an outfit *inspired* by visual kei.

most people who are not familiar with jrock do not know the different between visual kei and jrock. I will now tell you. =D

jrock is a term for any and all jrock music made by Japanese people in Japan.

visual kei is a term for the bands that dress up in elaborate, sometimes 'gothic' costumes. visual kei is almost always what you see being cosplayed (some people do mimic normal shirts-and-pants outfits of non-visual kei jrockers). visual kei is NOT another name for jrock. it is just a SECT of jrock, like shoujo is a sect of anime. visual kei is also a fashion style in Japan that is inspired by the rock bands, but not everyone who dresses like that is into visual kei bands, or rock music at all.

the reason why a lot of jrock cosplayers are edgy about people cosplaying jrock when they don't know anything about it is because to cosplay a musician without knowing who they are, hearing their music, and LIKING their music, is very, VERY insulting to the musicians.

say you cosplay Mana, because his outfits are cute and he's pretty darn spiffy, but you've never heard any music by Malice Mizer or MdM, and other jrock cosplayers try to talk to you about it at a con, because it's always nice to meet someone else that likes jrock. saying "Oh, I just cosplayed him because he's pretty, I've never actually heard the music" to a Mana fan is like saying "Oh, I just cosplayed Utena because she's popular. I've never actually seen the series" to an Utena fan. I mean, it just sucks! it's insultive to the band, the series, and the fans.

I've actually had people in Dir en grey costumes say to me "I really don't like their music at all, it's really scary, but Kaoru is so cute!!!" WHAT THE HECK? that is SO rude! >_< and I hate seeing that with anything. you should cosplay someone you like, not someone you think is cool.

so please, if you want to cosplay jrock, research the band, and LIKE the band. if you don't like the music, move on to a new band. it's the same with anime, video games, and anything else. if you don't like it, don't cosplay it! it's really rude to the real fans.

or, if you just HAVE to have a jrock-ish costume, just say it's visual kei inspired. *shrug*

anyway... rant over. ^_^;;

And yes, this means you.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2002, 01:06 PM   #14
soshi
onna kaizoku

on another note, I don't dislike people who get interesting in jrock simply by seeing other cosplayers and think it's neat - I really want to see more jrock fans at anime cons (that's why I go do panels and stuff - if I didn't want to spread knowledge and fandom I'd hide in my room and never go outside, and never talk with people who don't like/know of jrock). it's just that I want people to understand how rude it is to the bands themselves to cosplay them without ever hearing (and liking) their music.

And yes, this means you.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2002, 04:37 PM   #15
lemoned

preach on, sista. :x