Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Pinnapple.Pocky

SPANX, Girdle, or Corset?

I'm not really sure which one to use. What exactly are the pro's and cons of these. I know SPANX is pretty good but I don't know about the others.

Unread 06-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
AmandaShotgun
Amanda Shotgun

Unless a corset is directly part of your costume, they're not too comfortable to wear under clothing. Especially a cosplay costume that could potentially be a slow-cooker in a hot, crowded hotel.

My friend had real problems wearing a corset under her costume once. It was extremely hot in the hotel and her costume had a lot of layers. I would go with SPANX

Armageddicon 2012
Day 1: Harley Quinn (Arkham City)
Day 2: Kitana (Mortal Kombat 9)
Day 3: Too tired to get dressed
Unread 06-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
gracie1226

or maybe a kyomaro. thier good to
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
jai

SPANX are great for light to moderate smoothing and shaping and pretty comfortable to wear. Girdles provide a bit more support and more "firming" They however are not as comfortable to wear because well, it's tight and they cinch you in. Corsets are great when they're part of a costume for shaping... that said, if it's not part of your costume, skip it, it's not worth it IMO because they can be quite uncomfortable to wear.
Unread 06-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
Sexy Kat-Kashi
Random Red Headed Chick

Ive never tried SPANX and i cant find any but me personally i do only use a corset when need to but i actually find them comfortable but thats just me

Costumes - SnJ Kakashi, Orihime, Chizuru, Raver Konan, Gothic Lolita Konan, Cheshire Cat, White Rabbit, Donna Noble, Femme!Tenth, Alice, Gotham High Ivy, Janet Weiss, Vidia, Femme!PeterPan.
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

It depends where you need the shaping. Girdles nowadays are mainly lowerbody to the waist whereas a corset usually goes from the chest to the stomach. If you're battling the dreaded "lovehandles", most modern corsets won't help much.

If you're still looking at a corset... Depends if we're talking a lingerie Victoria's Secret corset or a steel-boned force of destruction and ridiculousness.

I own both XD I find that this first is what you can buy ready-made in a deparment/lingerie store. It's essentially a cincher. Elastic fabric with plastic bones and a hook and eye closure (maybe with laces for show). For a little waist shaping and strapless support they're decent. They're also pretty thin and sleek so you don't get an outline through your outer garment.
The second is what gives you that classic hourglass silhouette. You'll want to get one from someone you actively makes functional corsets. Spring steel boning (not just a metal busk) is popular with multi-layered non-stretch fabric with any amount of lacing.
I can comfortably walk around a con all day with my 28 inch waist reduced to 26 inches and I've only worn that corset 3 or 4 times. I can get down to a little under 25 inches but that starts getting uncomfortable.
I wear it when I have a layered costume (ie: Ciel) and I don't want to look bulky.

~Ari
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Depends on your body type and the silhouette you're going for. There's a lot of costumes out there that simply look better when you've taken the extra effort to shape and support what you have^^

You don't necessarily have to wear a fully boned corset underneath; more often than not, a few strips of boning (plastic or steel) along the seams of the dress, or a lightly boned corsage lining, will go a long way. A little bit of boning, combined with a good fit of course, will make your silhouette look more slender and graceful, and reduce unpleasant creases and bumps in the garment.