Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Unread 06-22-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
Aeon_DeMornay

Question Broadway Ursula Costume Help!

Heya Everyone!
I'm making Ursula's costume from Broadway's "The Little Mermaid" and I need help. Wig, base dress/bodysuit, make-up, I have down. I need help with her tentacles as I want them to look and act exactly like they do in the Broadway version.
I need to know what process was used to actually make the tentacles, it looks like some kind or ribbon/fabric in a layered manner, does anyone know what this technique is called or what they may have used?
And how to make the tentacles move and rise but still have a slightly fluid motion to them. I'm not sure what to attach the tentacles to for them to be strong enough to lift off the ground. Basically they are going to rise from a closed position to an open position, very much like a peacock opens and closes his tailfeathers.
here are a few links to youtube videos of her costume in action on stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGh1V...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-9Qm...eature=related

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, I also understand that this costume will take some time, though I have about a two month deadline and money isn't really an issue.
Aeon_DeMornay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
JessJupiter
Part-time Superhero.

This one is a toughy. There's a lot of things that Broadway seamstresses have access too that us normal cosplayers don't!

I can't really get a handle on the costume itself. Half of the tentacles look attached to the skirt, the other half don't. Half look like their a certain pattern, the other half look like more of a suctioncuppy pattern. If anything, I'd figure out your preferences and jerry rig wire into them to make them open and close.

What do you know about the technique that they used on Broadway?
Unread 06-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
alterationsbyem

I would think that it would be like a victorian gown, how they had the "butt" cage and then drape the fabric over that and then interconnect it with tulle. Lots of draping by the looks of it. make the legs pants in the front, with a classic corset top. A whiteish body suit for the top, perhaps what the cheerleaders wear, with the sleeve detail....

Looks like a fun costume