Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Unread 10-03-2002, 04:58 PM   #1
Spaztik

Gendo Ikari?

i was watchin Evangelion (again) (for the 87th time) and something cought my eye that i hadnt noticed. In a quick little flashback in ep 21 (the birth of NERV) Prof Fuyutsuki mentions Gendo. This was pre-2nd impact. He said that Gendo's last name was Rokubungi. I had noticed a long time ago that Yui's last name was Ikari even before they got married, but i never thot about it. Now i realize that Gendo took her name when they got married. Anyone know why?
Spaztik is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2002, 10:06 PM   #2
Cait

Oh, boy. I have so many theories about Evangelion. Layers, baby. The thing has layers.

I don't know for sure, but I think there could be two reasons.

1) Gendo was devoted entirely to Yui. She was his world and anything that wasn't Yui wasn't worth anything (thus his behavior in the series trying to reunite with her). So, when he married, he took her name rather than the other way around because of this devotion. I've not seen EoE yet but my friend tells me Gendo's like an older hardened Shinji and that seems like a thing he might do.... especially if Dr. Ikari wanted to keep her name or pass it on to the next generation. He would do that for her. He's destroying the world for her!

2) Really, though, Gendo is an ass. I believe it more likely that he saw how the other professor (I can't remember his name!) kinda liked Yui and perhaps did it in part to rub it in his face. Remember the scene on the boat in among the iceburgs? Every time he saw Gendo and said his name he would be reminded of what wasn't his. The pleasure that Gendo seemed to take from adding that Yui wasn't there because she was with his child seems to back up this. It makes me wonder if Shinji wasn't more of a tool than he initially thought.

....Of course it could be some strange asian wedding tradition. I don't really know. ^_^
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2002, 11:16 PM   #3
Sami
» star*stealing girl

Quote:
Originally posted by Cait
He's destroying the world for her!
Boy, I wish my boyfriend would do that for me!

I actually noticed that too, when I was rewatching Eva a while ago.. I found it odd, but it slipped my mind. I never thought about why he did it, but to me theory one sounds best (maybe because I'm still looking for the bright side of Gendo), but it probably is number two. ._. Meanie.

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2002, 11:29 PM   #4
VioletFairy

Okay, I'm throwing this out even though I've yet to make it past episode 8 of Evangelion. I seem to remember from somewhere that it's not uncommon in Asian countries for the man to take his wife's name if she comes from an affluent or important family.

Or I could just be hallucinating. Anyone else got an answer?

Vi
VioletFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2002, 01:32 AM   #5
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

it could also be because there were no other males in the Ikari family so he adopted the name when he married her to preserve her family name.

i no dis cuz i is intellijent ^_^

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2002, 05:58 PM   #6
Spaztik

Of course, it could also be that it's hard to say "Rokubungi" without breaking into fits of giggling
Unread 10-04-2002, 11:36 PM   #7
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

lol
also very true
^_^

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2002, 11:59 PM   #8
Karasu
my tortured senses. . .

I think it's the first reason, Cait.

Gendo is just like Shinji. I mean JUST like Shinji. He has (had) the same thoughts that Shinji has about his self worth. When he married Yui he either A) wanted to leave his 'old self' behind with his name or B) loved her so much that he wanted to be unified with her in as many ways possible. Either / or.
Unread 10-05-2002, 08:45 PM   #9
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Actually, while it's unusual for a Japanese man to take his wife's name, it isn't unheard of, especially in cases where the wife's family is of higher social standing.

That said, those who enjoy delving into the psychology of this show have probably hit on several good ideas.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2002, 05:47 PM   #10
Cait

Quote:
Actually, while it's unusual for a Japanese man to take his wife's name, it isn't unheard of, especially in cases where the wife's family is of higher social standing.
Most cultures, yo.

Quote:
That said, those who enjoy delving into the psychology of this show have probably hit on several good ideas.
Eh?
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2002, 07:03 PM   #11
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Cait

Eh?
I'm not particularly interested in Eva psychology, so I didn't have anything else to add on that point. "Talk amongst yourselves."
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote