Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #1
Heartless Grits

(Prototype) Alex Mercer claws

Ok, so I've been playing the game Prototype (btw, if you haven't played it yet, go pick it up and play it!!!) and I want to cosplay as Alex Mercer. What I want to do is cosplay as him with a claw hand/arm. Any suggestions as to what materials I should use to make the claws realistic?; and I'm aiming for something affordable here. Here are some pics of what it looks like in the game:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...x_mercer02.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...08116_640w.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...totype-001.jpg
Heartless Grits is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
gambit86
Yeah, I can fly.

Im working on the costume myself and Ill give you a hint. Hot glue. They use the same stuff for making guyver suits and its been working pretty well for this as well.

Basicaly, your gonna get some cardboard, make teh claws, cover them in hotglue, then scult it as your using it, then do the same thing with the arm, not with cardboard mind you, but something that will flex,

after your done, paint it and your good.
gambit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Heartless Grits

Hmmm, I'll try that. I could use Foamies material for the "arm" part of it. Thanks gambit.
Unread 06-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
gambit86
Yeah, I can fly.

actually foamies would be a great base for it, have it wraped around a tube, then put the hot glue on it.

I dont think it should really cost anything over 30 bucks in hot glue, and in the end youd have some amazing peices.
Unread 07-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
Gate28

I plan on doing this costume, too.

I was wondering, though, how does one cover something in hot glue? Using a glue gun would take forever, so I assume there is another way to do it.

Also, should I attach them to a black glove of some sort? I think just slipping them onto my fingers would call them to fall off quite easily.

Also, how easy is is/are foamies to layer? This is my first time cosplaying, and I only have a month to put together this costume.
Gate28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
NinjaSquirrel
The Ninja Squirrel

oooooh good luck with that I'll also be doing Alex Mercer :3 Lol I'm actually going to try to get the claws and blade. I'll be hoping to get a similar track jacket or something similar to his leather one and cutting off the sleeves and make them removable. I think foam would work Hot glue and foam are the only things I'm working with really. This is going to be fun ^^ XD Oh do you guys know where I could get a similar jacket to Alex's? I don't want to buy leather then end up cutting it :/ Leather's expensive.

Future Cons:
-Tekkoshocon '10
-SacAnime Summer '10
NinjaSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
Heartless Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSquirrel View Post
oooooh good luck with that I'll also be doing Alex Mercer :3 Lol I'm actually going to try to get the claws and blade. I'll be hoping to get a similar track jacket or something similar to his leather one and cutting off the sleeves and make them removable. I think foam would work Hot glue and foam are the only things I'm working with really. This is going to be fun ^^ XD Oh do you guys know where I could get a similar jacket to Alex's? I don't want to buy leather then end up cutting it :/ Leather's expensive.
Try going to a Thrift shop or Salvation Army for a leather jacket. Best to get a used old one if you're gonna go cutting it up.
Unread 12-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
cgmangotiger
28:06:42:12

I too am going to be attempting to make a Mercer costume with the claws. I knew about the cardboard, but not the superglu, so thanks for that tip. I basically was going to use wire framing for the skeleton of my arm, then cardboard for the base, then I was going to paper mache it to give it more strength. Still trying to figure out how to make the tentacle like things (was thinking foam paint) but then some of the strands are extending off his arms. Then there's also the trouble of making the piece go over my elbow and being able to bend. (Is that where the superglu comes in handy?)
cgmangotiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
gambit86
Yeah, I can fly.

To respont to Gate: It does take forever. When I helped a friend make one we tripled up on manpower, had three hot glue guns running at once and it still took us about 3 hours total to get everything just about right. So you can think of that as a nift day project to work on if you do it by yourself.
Unread 12-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Personperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmangotiger View Post
I too am going to be attempting to make a Mercer costume with the claws. I knew about the cardboard, but not the superglu, so thanks for that tip. I basically was going to use wire framing for the skeleton of my arm, then cardboard for the base, then I was going to paper mache it to give it more strength. Still trying to figure out how to make the tentacle like things (was thinking foam paint) but then some of the strands are extending off his arms. Then there's also the trouble of making the piece go over my elbow and being able to bend. (Is that where the superglu comes in handy?)
For the spike/tentacle things, I saw some one use spray painted, rolled up news paper with a wire inside to keep it from bending.

Oh, and for bending your elbow, I've seen people make two separate pieces and hook them together.

Last edited by Personperson : 12-28-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Personperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
thatdude

i did a cheap arm blade with cardboard hot glue tape and black trashbags
thatdude is offline   Reply With Quote