Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Anime Festival

Unread 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
einlee

NYAF Hotel Help and What to Expect.

Okay, I'm really new to conventions and the New York Anime Festival is going to be my first one ever! I've heard from a lot of people what events are common for a convention, and what people generally do while they're there. But I would like you guys to tell me what I can expect to see and do at NYAF. Personal experiences, observations, and so on are welcome

Also, I'm wondering if you guys know which hotels close to the convention center are the best. We don't want to stay at a Four Seasons, but not a hostel or motel either. I don't enjoy waking up to cockroaches on the bathroom floor. -.-U I nice hotel that won't break the bank is kinda what we're going for.

Unread 06-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
wisecraxx
Tania C.

Well I haven't really checked out the hotels and their locations since NYAF is a home convention but I'll be sure to do that when I can. x3;
But yes, NYAF has grown much bigger than about two-three years ago.
I can't really tell you about the experience you may have in general since it always depends on the person and who they go with, what they do, etc. The obvious factor (like any other con) is that you have more fun in cosplay; well, in my opinion anyway.
Like in all cons, there are those people to avoid but there are also many photographers going around taking pictures.
The dealer's room can get pretty crowded and THAT is the place where most con-goers not in cosplay snap shots of you. So be prepared for that and as I've learned, try not to have your con badge around your neck when a picture is going to be taken of you. XD;

I personally have had a wonderful time for the two years that I've gone; it is generally well-organized and a place where other conventions are held as well (like New York Comic Con).
The atmosphere of the cosplayers are generally friendly and easy-going; it's pretty easy to make friends as long as you talk to the right people. Attending photoshoots/gatherings helps since you have something in common: the series from which you are cosplaying from.
As for me, I try to remain a distance away from the crazy con-goers; as in the ones who glomp you without permission, yell nonsense every place they go to, etc.

Basically, it's a nice con to go to for a first and it's still growing and learning from ones it has already held in the past. :]

(I hope what I wrote makes sense; I just wrote everything as the thought(s) came to my head. xP

Next Convention: Otakon
----------------
Different Sites

Complete Cosplay List.

wisecraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

NYAF's in it's 3rd year and a industry con, While the fan-events are expanding this year, most of the events and panels are industry related, and it's a lot more laid back than you're average fan base con. However, one of the advantages of being a NYC con is the location (great for photos) and a solid community.

Hotel wise, I would suggest going into the city or hitting up google for some recommendations. Or go here!

http://www.newyorkanimefestival.com/en/Hotels--Travel/

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
einlee

Thank you guys so much! This really helps, and I'll try to keep away from crazy, glomping con-goers >.>U
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

Please mind you, when it comes to hotels in the city, they are quite expensive, especially if you don't want to settle for a motel or a regular hotel. That's why I decided to take the train in every day [Mind you, I'm from Long Island so I can do that.]

NYAF is fun. Jacob Javits is my favorite convention center, because of it's size, and as starwind says, it's beauty, and that it is in a nice area for photo's as well. =] However it is HUGE, like WOAHHHH However the crowd of NYAF is relatively laid-back. A larger crowd, but good people. Of course you do have the regular glompers/fangirls/fanboys/yaoi-fanatics, but all in all, it's a great con. and, a really good first con [it wasn't my first one, but its still, in my eyes, a good first con]

I wish you luck on your hotel accommodations, and have fun at the con. I hope to see you there ^.^
In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
einlee

It would be great to see you too! Do you know what you'd be cosplaying as?
Unread 07-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Travel-Valenti
keepin' positive since 2K

What's the best MTA route to take to the convention center? The hotel I'm thinking about staying at is on the A line (NYU area).

Help would be very much appreciated.

The Latest: Anime Expo 2009: Moonwalker

ConTour 2009: Anime Vegas, Nan Desu Kan, Mikomi Con, NYAF, PMX, and any other gathering in between.
Travel-Valenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

The A line will work, its the closest to the Javits (not by much). Its one of the worst in terms of schedule/frequency on the weekends. But you can't do anything about that.

If your hotel is closer to the 1/2/3 Lines then they will be much faster/frequent. You'll have to walk the distance regardless.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
lost_teflon
SHOXX is my VOGUE

@Valenti- C or E should be in your proximity too, if you're close to the A line. Anything that gets you to Penn Station is pretty much as close as you'll get. Basically I just seconded what mrgetalife said ^__^

@einlee- Wish I was more a help w/ hotels...the closest major hotel I can think of is The New Yorker on 8th ave. I'm not sure what they're like price-wise, but they're worth a look.

Otakon 2011 Lineup
Jasmine You (Revenant Choir)- Friday and Saturday
Switzerland- Sunday

2011 shall be known as the year of epic j-rock cosplay!
Jasmine You~ Revenant Choir (DONE)
Hizaki~ Philia and Masquerade (Maybe....)
Reita~ Filth in the Beauty (if I have energy!)

Last edited by lost_teflon : 07-06-2009 at 09:26 PM.
lost_teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by einlee View Post
It would be great to see you too! Do you know what you'd be cosplaying as?
I will be cosplaying Kisame from Naruto on Friday and Krad from DNAngel on Saturday. Idk if I'm going Sunday yet, I may be, but I'm not sure. lol
In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
ZFandKILover

This is my first con and i happen to have gotten VIP tickets becuse they seemed like a good idea. If you can please tell me anything i might need to know perhaps like where to go first and where raves and such are.
ZFandKILover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #12
ZFandKILover

*bump*

NYAF (Fri & Sat, possibly part of Sunday)

Axel {Kingdom Hearts II} 75%
Roxas {Kingdom Hearts II} 15%
Hidan {Naruto:Shippuden} 70%
ZFandKILover is offline   Reply With Quote