Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Fumouffu
( ̄▽ ̄)

Headaches from Wearing Wigs?

Good evening, Cosplay.com!! I was just wondering, does anyone else get a headache from wearing wigs? And just just wigs-- but sometimes it happens with anything wrapper around my forehead. Such as when I wear a pair of goggles on my forehead and it's wrapped around to the back of my head it causes headaches. So, I was curious if this happened with other people as well? If so do you know how to help prevent headaches and wearing wigs? Thank you very much! It's just saddening because I get headaches all the time I go to conventions because of my wigs!! Thank you again!! Any tips are greatly appreciated!
♥A&G Ohio
☆James- Pokemon
♥Anime Punch
☆Moko- Skip Beat!
♥Colossalcon
☆ Vaporeon- Pokemon☆ Moko ☆Kurama- Yuu Yuu Hakusho
♥Matsuricon
☆Alice- Tales of Symphonia 2
♥Youmacon
☆Cirno- Touhou ☆ Alice- Tales of Symphonia 2
Fumouffu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Cheebes
High Wizard

*raises hand*

My wig cap digs into the left side of my head, right above my head. D; It's painful, frustrating, and I eventually develop a headache out of it.

FloROCos - Bringing Ragnarok back, one con at a time.

Attending:
Megacon
Metrocon
Chibi Pa (possible)

DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cheebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Fumouffu
( ̄▽ ̄)

D: Eep! I'm sorries! -Huggles huggles.- Yeah!! That happens! >~<! I just hope that there is some way to avoid that! D:
♥A&G Ohio
☆James- Pokemon
♥Anime Punch
☆Moko- Skip Beat!
♥Colossalcon
♥Matsuricon
♥Youmacon
Unread 07-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
mini_kitten_o5

I find I don't get a headache from the actual wig, more from the wig cap that I use. I find that if the wig cap is a bit too small, and I put it on, I get a massive headache that makes me feel really sick. So I think I'll try getting a wig net instead and see how that works. It looks like It'll let my head breathe more.
Unread 07-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Moon_Fish

I also get pretty bad headaches from my wig caps so I always take a few asprin before I put it on and head off to where ever I'm going to.
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Taquito
Doki Donut

I get the same thing from wearing hats and such. I'm glad I'm not the only one! haha. I'll definitely keep in mind the comment about wig caps. ;P

Otakon 2014:
Thursday: Biker Girl Venus (Sailor Moon)
Friday AM: Cheerleader Kotori (Love Live!)
Friday PM: No Brand Girls Kotori (Love Live!)
Saturday AM: Ultra Rare #204 Kotori (School Idol Festival/ Love Live!)
Saturday PM: Bunny Girl Chitoge (Nisekoi)
Sunday: Start: Dash Kotori (Love Live!)
Taquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Jamosaurrx
PANIC MODE.

A-yep. Wig caps are the real problem, I think, from my own experience and from the listed testimonials.
-keeps the aspirin in mind-

Cosplays
Complete: Beyond Birthday; Light Yagami; Xion; Rena Ryuguu; Sasori
In progress: Larxene; Shion Sonozaki; Kadaj; Hitachiin Kaoru; Sebastian Michaelis; Russia
Planned: Shihouin Yoruichi
Jamosaurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
Inked~Wrong
CLEAN MY SHOE!

I use to get headaches from Wigs, But then I was also buying from china sellers, and there wigs are ALWAYS smaller. Now I can only wear Cosworx wigs, and no more headache. XD
Inked~Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 04:25 AM   #9
Lucrezea

I completely understand your pain. I get headaches from anything on my head or around my neck, be it wigs, bandannas, headbands or necklaces. With things around my neck, I generally pull them up and rest them across my shoulders when it starts to get uncomfortable (before a headache), rub my neck a bit, and then put the necklace back down. That necklace in my avatar is actually one of the worst pain-causers I own.

With things on my head, I stretch the hell out of them first. I can't stand any form of pressure by my temples or around my head at all. It's an instant headache, and in the worst cases, a migraine. If I wear a wig or headpiece too long it will inevitably lead to a migraine. It's quite unfortunate that I love wigs as much as I do.

What I do is stretch the hell out of anything that is going to go on my head. I stretch it to the point of risking it will fall off, to be quite honest. With wig and wigs caps, I just make sure to put extra pins in so they don't fall off. When I'm wearing something that's a little too tight and there's nothing I can do about it, I always keep a little bottle of Peppermint Halo on me, and apply it around my forehead before it becomes unbearable. I also make sure my partner is around to give me neck rubs with tiger balm whenever I may need it!

Last edited by Lucrezea : 07-04-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Unread 07-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Mitsukichan

I am in the same boat as everyone here. I get headaches when I wear wig caps all day at a convention. >.<; In fact, I even get headaches from tying something around my neck like a bathing suit or blouse. T-T But I figure that the pain is worth it when I see how many people I make happy with my cosplay and when I know wearing a wig for a character would be much better than taking it off (which is the case 99.9% of the time since I've NEVER cosplayed a character with my real hair).

Anyways, I find that if I know I am going to be wearing a wig cap, I bring a few Tylenol along for the journey. I mean, it never hurts to be prepared for the worst and have medicine to help soothe your headaches.

I also find that wearing larger wigs and especially wig caps can help prevent these headaches. I mean, I ordered some of Amphigory's wigs and wig caps and they were kind of tight on my head. They just caused a massive headache that I completely hated... Meanwhile, Cosworx's wigs and wig caps were much more comfortable and still fit well. I haven't gotten a major headache from a Cosworx wig yet which I am very happy about. =3

Currently Working On:
Pichu Gijinka (30%)
Mitsukichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
Faraday
oh modern man.

I sewed a piece of elastic into either side of my wig because it did give me headaches, now everything is fine and dandy since it isn't too tight anymore.
Faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
Satine

I have found how I wear my hair underneath the wig or hat or cowl makes a really big difference.

With my very heavy wig (4X 40" wigs rewefted together) and my hair (hip length) I need to plait my hair very firmly into 6 plaits (three each side) and to make sure the top sections are right at the very top of my head, not to far forward (wig looks odd) or too far back (pressure of wig weight pulls head back). I then pin the plaits in rings around my head carefully and firmly. The top two cross in front and around the outside of the base or all the plaits.

The wig then goes on and I make sure to pull the underside of the wig taut against the back of my head so the front section is a little looser and then pin that in front of the top of the ring of plaits.

The placement of the plaits is very important. Vital actually as it causes the transfer of weight of the wig from pulling straight back.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Remiem
Silent Hug Whore

Yes!! Wigs, headbands, goggles, everything gives me a headache. I had to deal with this problem at my last convention with my Mai wig. I didn't realize it would give me such a big headache! What I ended up doing is going back to my room every time it got bad to take my wig off and air out a bit. I noticed that I didn't get this problem when I bought a wig meant for a male head. Apparently they have bigger heads.

Kaito (Magnet Ver.) ~ Vocaloid

Agatsuma Soubi ~ Loveless

Mai 2.0 ~ Avatar: TLAB

And possibly . . .

Medusa Sensei ~ Soul Eater

Remiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

*headscratch* So...people just pop a couple of aspirin and move on?

If anything is hurting you, that is a SIGN. Something is WRONG and should be FIXED.

If it's the wig cap, buy a larger wig cap. I do have one that's too small and I plan to fix it with a little extra elastic. Wig caps should not leave welts anywhere on your skin, if they are, that means that is not the wig cap for you and you should try something different, up to and including making your own out of a nylon stocking.

If it's the wig, add elastic to the sides of the wig between wefts (like fritzy said) to make the wig base larger. Wigs come in all kinds of sizes and even different wigs from the same company will sit on your head differently. Adjust it as needed and keep in mind that styling product will occasionally tighten fibers if you're using it very close to the elastic and net edges.

Generally speaking, you have pressure points in a couple of vital places around your head. The back of your neck on either side and near your temples are some of the pressure points where a wig cap or wig netting may rest against. Try adjusting where the cap or wig is pressing against so it's not on one of those tendons or points. And be careful - sometimes the pain in your head is actually coming from your back. Make sure you sit comfortably, watch your posture, and don't stand on awful shoes on a hotel-lobby floor all day. And drink water to stay hydrated. That way the problem can be traced to your wig and not your binding, your corset, your neck, or your shoes.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
Fumouffu
( ̄▽ ̄)

-^___^-; Sorry for the late response but THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm so sorry! >~<V! I'll make sure to try and do all the things I have been told! TT__TTV It has been far too terrible! Thank you again!! And I hope you all can fix your headache problems too!
I'm not much of a pill person so if the stretching and such doesn't work then I may just have to bring some.. @~@;;; Thank you again!
♥A&G Ohio
☆James- Pokemon
♥Anime Punch
☆Moko- Skip Beat!
♥Colossalcon
♥Matsuricon
♥Youmacon