Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Closed Thread
Unread 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Cheshare
The Spoon Queen

Famous cosplayers

There are a few cosplayers on the net that are fairly well known, Behindinfinity is one that comes to mind, and I really start to wonder how these people become "famous cosplayers" is it that they have good photographers? Good modeling? Craftsmanship of costumes? what do you guys think makes some of the well known cosplayers so well known?

for me I think it's exposure, just getting your pictures out all over the place. or ins ome cases i saw a cosplay group make a lot of vidios of their cosplay and preform skits, and their now a well known group.

Unread 07-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
Tabby-chan
Aka: Natsuno Yuuki

well first cosplay group that comes to mind for me is fighting dreamers pro. i found out about them through their skits on youtube. so id have to say through skits and like u said, just getting photos out all over the place.
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
Tatsu-chan

and koi cosplay and kelly janes group
but I think a lot of its exposure, and they gotta be good, ad i the case of cosplayers with vids I'd say sense of humor helps a lot
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

Well, I can only speak to myself, but for me it's more or less all about the costume. If a costume is well-made, if creative solutions are used for the typical gravity-defying outfits and props (not to mention hair), if little details have been taken into account... then colour me smitten. Not so sure if that makes said cosplayer famous, but this is at least what it takes to score points with me, cosplay-wise.

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
mlarad
~ Mlarad ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshare View Post
There are a few cosplayers on the net that are fairly well known, Behindinfinity is one that comes to mind, and I really start to wonder how these people become "famous cosplayers" is it that they have good photographers? Good modeling? Craftsmanship of costumes? what do you guys think makes some of the well known cosplayers so well known?

for me I think it's exposure, just getting your pictures out all over the place. or ins ome cases i saw a cosplay group make a lot of vidios of their cosplay and preform skits, and their now a well known group.

Not necessarily, it also depends what kind of "famous" do you mean. Because there are many ways in how you can be a famous cosplayer. Many cosplayers only do costumes, others do excellent skits and others a combination.

Famous cosplayers become well known when they excel in one way, photography, costumes, craftsmanship or modeling. They have awesome talents and when they published it, people likes it and they become well known.

Not only by making costumes and doing skits will get you well known. They have to be done in a way they will attract attention for it.

Unread 07-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

The secret to becoming a famous cosplayer is to send me $250.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #7
Arroyo
for your health

I think some of the most well known are PikminLink, Lillyxandra, Yaya, among others. The topic of famous cosplayers always gets really controversial though. I'm just throwing some names out there.
Unread 07-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #8
ToastWeasel
Haters Gonna Hate

I read this and I immediately though Astachan. SHe started that cosplay video thing circulating on YT, and she's a really good cosplayer to boot!
Cosplays: Commander Bumi [Legend of Korra], Malinda/Fire Ferret Fan Cosplaying Korra [Legend of Korra], Spock [Star Trek], 2P!Fem!Cop!Prussia [Hetalia: Axis Powers], Cosplay Medic Corpsman [Original]
Current WIP: Spock, Commander Bumi, Malinda
New Cosplays Planned for '13: Spock, Malinda
Unread 07-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #9
O'Faolain
G.I Amphibian

I also think that well-known cosplayers are extremely regional (whether by state, city, or con), despite the influences of the internet. For example, I'm from the west coast so I am familiar with 'names' like pikminlink, Chris (former member of Bakazoku), Yatta Dante, Yatta Cloud, and Chibiroth.

However, I have friends on the east coast who tell me about well-known individuals who I have no idea of. (Example: A band called The Spoony Bards, looked them up on Youtube after a friend emailed me about a con called Anime Punch and they're freakin' awesome. o.O)

I also agree with mlarad's words regarding how they become well-known. (Famous is such an odd word, makes me think of tabloids...)
Unread 07-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
Cheshare
The Spoon Queen

Marek: Fancy seeing you here. man feels like everyone from K con forums is on this place now ._.

and yeanh it is regional, I know Chibiroth, Dante, and Chris. I think out of those Chris is the only one known beyond our area
Unread 07-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #11
Tatsu-chan

yeah I gotta agree on the regional thing,(spoony bards ARE awesome btw) like those people you mentioned I haven't even heard of before just now, but I live in michigan so thats probably why, also if you ca just do a plain epic costume and do it well, it can become really well known
take for example uchiha-yurai from deviantart, she is one of the best angewomon cosplayers out there
I would say she is fairly well known
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:07 AM   #12
SvK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
The secret to becoming a famous cosplayer is to send me $250.
It was $150 last year. :-( Do I still get to be famous, or do I have to pay the difference?
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #13
Cheshare
The Spoon Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvK View Post
It was $150 last year. :-( Do I still get to be famous, or do I have to pay the difference?
D: But I payed $300!
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #14
Arielle
part of your world...

What I want to find out is how you get to be paid for being a cosplayer haha...I guess once you become known enough you get asked to model and do panels and you get paid as a con guest....not like I really know much about this subject but I think like with anything else, to become known for your costuming, just attend to as many cons as possible, show your best work and be active online. (-:

I got to meet Yaya this year at her merch booth at AX which was way cool, and got to meet Lilyxandra and some of her friends this year too-they are absolutely wonderful!

...aka the mermaid girl...

www.myspace.com/tracijhines
www.youtube.com/TraciJHines
www.youtube.com/TraciHines

~Romans 8:28~
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #15
Tobias Night
Tobias Nightbringer

You're all famous in my book!

Haha, but seriously...I think being 'famous' and 'professional' are two slightly different things.

Being famous like Pikminlink, Arielle, Lily, me (not lmao. One day? Maybe...? *sigh* XD)etc, etc. may not mean they are professionals, unless they have been paid to do a panel for a company or just do some kind of cosplay modeling for someone and get paid for it. If they have, then I obviously couldn't use them for examples :P Basically someone that is 'famous' may not necessarily be a 'professional'

Now for being 'professional'. THAT is the hard part. Sort of. To me, being a 'professional' cosplayer means you are getting PAID by someone. Obviously, if you can be a model, you can probably be a cosplayer who gets paid by companies to advertise their stuff. A model in 'Normie' clothes or Cosplay are still just a model. However, doesn't necessarily mean they make their own outfits. They just look damn good in 'em. Which, is not bad at all because if they enjoy doing it, then more power to 'em. Especially if they take their time and go to gatherings and meet people and walk amongst the crowd instead of just staying where they were paid to stay and get the Hell outta dodge when their shift ends. Obviously if you are a 'professional' cosplayer, then you are already famous.

At AX, I met this guy named 'Kaname' who did Ichigo and Cloud. Totally a bad-ass and looked great in his costumes. Now apparently he is a 'professional' that actually came from Japan. Now, was he meaning he was just 'famous' or what? Was he working at a panel one of the days? I mean if this guy comes all the way from JAPAN, lot of questions pop up.

Does any of what I wrote make any kind of sense? Ah well....

~Lyric to a song sung by Nat King Cole called "Nature Boy" (Thank you LadyHawke78 for getting the name of the song!)
Closed Thread