Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
redchainsawz
enjoy the silent

Raiden MGS4 Mask Tutorial

I'm looking for several things in this post, and I hope I can clearly state these things as I go along, though since I'm relatively new with props, I'll probably sound like a confused idiot.

First of all I'm obviously trying my hand at making Raiden's mask from MGS4
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...20416_640w.jpg

Now here's the fun part, besides a chainsaw I made awhile ago out of cardboard and other random crap, I've never made a prop before. And I know most of you are going to spout out that the mask is too complicated for a beginner, bla bla bla, but I don't mind. I have 4 months till the con and I'm ecstatic to learn how to do all this. I'm also a perfectionist by nature, and I have alot of spare cash for just this occasion.

The first thing I'm looking for is a tutorial on HOW to make props in general out of things like moldings, foam, plastic, etc. that way I can familiarize myself with what/how I will make the mask. I'd like several tutorials if any of you have some.

Second, I'd like to know what exactly I should use to make the mask, and what kind of paint I should use as well, and the fake bottom jaw is also an issue I'm not sure how to resolve if anyone has a tutorial on how to do that as well. I'm putting my ALL into this mask and I will have a professionally done mask by November, that's how motivated I am.

Any help would be VERY VERY VERY appreciated, Thanks again.

EDIT:
If anyone can translate, here's a blog with exactly how to make this mask
http://blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_428/

~ red

Last edited by redchainsawz : 07-22-2009 at 02:46 AM.
redchainsawz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
kanancom

Hey I know jiro's blog, I'm working on making the mask too (except without the eyecamo, its the figumate sweet snake female raiden)

Pic1

I can read japanese almost fluently except for some difficult kanji, and I have read most of the blog and figured out where to begin. Start by making a base that fits exactly to YOUR jaw and will go up around your head (the band across the top of the head will be hidden by a wig). You can start by using something like chipboard (stuff used to make cereal boxes, much better than corragated cardboard), which works like posterboard. Cut it out and fit it around your head like in a shape from this picture (pic1) What he used to make that was FRP and its something not that feasible to get a hold of and use and also Purakyasto (Puracast), as I've discerned that jiro is a professional.

Pic2 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...c/4c401c18.jpg

So with that made, he begins to sculpt the jaw shape out of a japanese hobby substance used to make those anime figurines, Epoxy Putty (the brand he uses is Wave Epoxy Putty (light/gray version) you can buy it here) He did this very very carefully using a compass and even states that this part at getting everything symmetrical was hell. (pic2)

Pic3 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...e/1e8d0351.jpg
Pic4 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...5/e555df19.jpg

Of course for the ear parts you can see he used two identical computer mouses that were shaped as close to raiden's as possible. He then cut it apart and created a hole in each and then filled and covered it with more epoxy putty (pic3)- he used a pushpin case to let the epoxy cure in the right shape (pic4). "molded parts are at right angles using a pushpin case. " That part was made for the electrical units for the eyecamo.

Pic5 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...d/1d45a114.jpg
Pic6 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...2/722f271d.jpg

"In the polished state after curing." (pic5)

Jiro then uses a product called サーフェイサー (Safeisa) which is a surface primer. (pic6) He then goes on to say something I didn't quite understand...he says that the borders of the different materials are strange in the shrinkage? Maybe this means that the epoxy shrank and you can see underneath? I don't quite understand the last part of that entry. I think he re-coated in more epoxy maa I dunno

Pic7 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...2/22ac9ff5.jpg

He created some holes for the eletrical switch to go in, mkaing them as symmetrical as possible

Gotta go at the moment, I'll come back and post more I hope what I got so far helps :]

Dragon*con
Assassin Apprentice - AC:Brotherhood; Zelda - LoZ: Skyward Sword; Sweet Raiden - Sweet Snake Figumate; Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
kanancom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
redchainsawz
enjoy the silent

OMG OMG OMG!!!

You do not know how much that helped me! Thanks so much and I can't wait until the rest is translated. <3333

Also, does FRP=Fiber Reinforced Plastic?

Last edited by redchainsawz : 07-18-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Unread 07-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
kanancom

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchainsawz View Post
OMG OMG OMG!!!

You do not know how much that helped me! Thanks so much and I can't wait until the rest is translated. <3333

Also, does FRP=Fiber Reinforced Plastic?
Yes its fiber(glass) reinforced plastic

I don't know squat about the process of using FRP so that whole secton jiro wrote on it went way over my head

Pic8 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...a/eaf278b1.jpg
Pic9 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...e/ce337914.jpg

Jiro uses a motorcycle visor to attain the curvature of the solideye, so he drew a basic picture of what the solid eye was going to look like so he could mold the epoxy putty on top of that as a guide to keep the curve as made by the visor's shape and to carefully monitor the symmetry blah blah blah.

(2008年08月18日 Post) This is where he apologizes that he didn't take a photo before of what material he was using, which is the picture of the box of epoxy putty. (pic9)

Pic10 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...8/28bafc79.jpg

Here you can see he worked directly on the visor (pic10), the wave putty has a cure time of 3 hours and a working time of about 120minutes before it gets too hard so he probably worked on the visor for simplicity's sake. (oh and note, if you look closely, you'll see he put wax paper or something of that sort down on the visor surface)

Most of this just takes good sculpting tools so I'd recommend going to like a clay store or art store and looking for tools to use for this project as your hands won't cut it for those clean, geometric edges. Also patience and skill. Since time is against you, working on small sections at a time is better and make sure to perfect your technique on cheaper materials before using the good stuff (note: I just bought 2 packages of Procreate epoxy putty from here, its faster and cheaper shipping for US residents and here is the full info on the stuff, cure times, properties, etc)

Ahaha what a wall of text this has become. Moving on!

Pic11 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...3/f3ec8820.jpg

Okay so then jiro goes on to say something about he had to fix the angle in the middle section (pic11). (probably talking about the middle where it goes from gray to light yellow...I'm confused on this part, I know the yellow is Wave Epoxy putty lightweight type and the gray is wave epoxy putty light/gray type though what the difference is hell if I know)

Then he says something about it is too much of a V-shape, or something I dunno. All I know is he says it took him way too long to make it symmetrical (guess he went OCD on it haha)

Pic12 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...c/5c49cc35.jpg
Pic13 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...7/072f6e6d.jpg
Pic14 http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/jiro_4...1/d1c7f7e4.jpg

This is where his explaining really tests my japanese... he's trying to create the raised area on the Solid Eye, about 1mm thick. (pic12) Something about it being difficult...from what I get he creates like a little wall for where its going to be raised (pic13). I think he rolled the epoxy putty into those tiny little lines for the 'wall'. Also note he make an indent in the back of each solid eye- he doesnt say it but you can see it (pic14).

Tired...this post is really confusing me so I'll update more tomorrow

Dragon*con
Assassin Apprentice - AC:Brotherhood; Zelda - LoZ: Skyward Sword; Sweet Raiden - Sweet Snake Figumate; Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
Unread 07-19-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Doryuu_Kun123

you should post this in a diffrent thread! so others can know how to do it. tho im thinking you eather give credit to jiro or whatever, or ask him :] and sorry for not posting anything helpful, i was lurking, and thought of the idea.

also, seems to me google translator can translate most of the words, though some japanese comes out as japanese words in english text.

Last edited by Doryuu_Kun123 : 07-19-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Doryuu_Kun123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
kanancom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruka View Post
you should post this in a diffrent thread! so others can know how to do it. tho im thinking you eather give credit to jiro or whatever, or ask him :] and sorry for not posting anything helpful, i was lurking, and thought of the idea.

also, seems to me google translator can translate most of the words, though some japanese comes out as japanese words in english text.
I mean I guess this thread can just become a general Raiden thread *shrug* And yes, I'm giving credit to jiro as I am using his blog lol and I've tried to contact him but to no avail, Omi Gibson too (his wife I'm pretty sure)

Google translator is TERRIBLE for japanese, especially blogs where the style of writing is more casual. Plus with all the technical terms it comes out as way too confusing in english. The " japanese comes out as japanese words in english text" is katakana words that the translator doesn't understand.

Dragon*con
Unread 07-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
Doryuu_Kun123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanancom View Post
I mean I guess this thread can just become a general Raiden thread *shrug* And yes, I'm giving credit to jiro as I am using his blog lol and I've tried to contact him but to no avail, Omi Gibson too (his wife I'm pretty sure)

Google translator is TERRIBLE for japanese, especially blogs where the style of writing is more casual. Plus with all the technical terms it comes out as way too confusing in english. The " japanese comes out as japanese words in english text" is katakana words that the translator doesn't understand.
yeah, your right. atleast i tried XD well, good luck on the mask, or face thingy.
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
mirasaki
Cryptic Badass

This is one of the greatest contributions to mankind since Swiffer.
mirasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
redchainsawz
enjoy the silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirasaki View Post
This is one of the greatest contributions to mankind since Swiffer.
LOL!

So I've decided to do two things with this. Since I'm definitely not a master clay sculptor, I'm commissioning a mask, and as a backup in case it isn't done in time, I'm going to be making one from cheaper materials to practice.
Unread 07-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Maverick626

wow , nice to see someone revelaing the secrets of the pros xD
im also working in a mgs4 raiden suit ( but it was halted due to an eye injury about a year ago) i also saw the pictures in jiros blog , but im taking a different ( and a bit cheaper) approach , the jaw section is all made with multiple pvc pieces (about4-5 to the mouthpiece , 4 more to the mouth-chin) and al that attached onto a "skeleton" piece that has 2 springcoils in a way that allows the jaw to move when i talk ( the springcoils keep the pieces up)

im getting some headaches to get a translucent material for the teeth-lip , and how to glue the hinges for the solid-eyes and the protector to the earpices ,because they have to resist the journey to the con
Maverick626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
mirasaki
Cryptic Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick626 View Post
wow , nice to see someone revelaing the secrets of the pros xD
im also working in a mgs4 raiden suit ( but it was halted due to an eye injury about a year ago) i also saw the pictures in jiros blog , but im taking a different ( and a bit cheaper) approach , the jaw section is all made with multiple pvc pieces (about4-5 to the mouthpiece , 4 more to the mouth-chin) and al that attached onto a "skeleton" piece that has 2 springcoils in a way that allows the jaw to move when i talk ( the springcoils keep the pieces up)

im getting some headaches to get a translucent material for the teeth-lip , and how to glue the hinges for the solid-eyes and the protector to the earpices ,because they have to resist the journey to the con
Carpet glue never fails.
W here do you buy PVC pieces from?
Unread 07-21-2009, 01:51 AM   #12
redchainsawz
enjoy the silent

Quick question, I've been looking at Omi Gibson's Raiden mask and it finally hit me.

The trench coat she's wearing, is that part of a costume from MGS? I've played the first few games but I'm not familiar with this look.
Unread 07-21-2009, 02:13 AM   #13
Maverick626

the trenchcoat is because she is snake using raiden octocamo mask (yeah sounds weird but the mask is still awesome) , you can get pvc sheets at any hardware store ( at least where i live ) for about 12-15$ one sheet of 3mm thickness and 1.5x1 meters.
Maverick626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #14
redchainsawz
enjoy the silent

Quote:
the trenchcoat is because she is snake using raiden octocamo mask (yeah sounds weird but the mask is still awesome) , you can get pvc sheets at any hardware store ( at least where i live ) for about 12-15$ one sheet of 3mm thickness and 1.5x1 meters.
ah, is that particular outfit an unlockable then?
Unread 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
mirasaki
Cryptic Badass

Quote:
the trenchcoat is because she is snake using raiden octocamo mask (yeah sounds weird but the mask is still awesome) ,
I could've sworn she was attempting to do the Raiden without arms outfit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isR-B...e=channel_page