Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #136
Mokoni
~*Misery Cloud Forever*~

What do you use to clamp the wig onto if you don't have a wig head? Especially outside?

Idea/plan [when it is warmer outside because I am not going to do this in 30 degree weather]: Somehow figure out how to clamp it onto my wooden deck out back of the house. Any suggestions??

Last edited by Mokoni : 02-26-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Mokoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #137
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

@skyfirefox: ISteam does work on the heat-resistant wigs, it just takes two or three passes. I frizzed the hell out of my extra-long one too :P

@SakuraxTsubasa: What do you mean by a regular garment steamer? I use a travel-sized garment steamer at home, but I've used the big vacuum-cleaner looking ones at my school's costume shop too. It works in place of a hair dryer for other stuff; here's a tutorial from Ion as an example.

@Mokoni: Well, if you're not in a rush to do it, I'd just look for a styrofoam wig head (beauty supply store, ~$5) or a big styrofoam ball (craft store, no idea). Foam wig heads have a 1" hole in the bottom you can stick a dowel into, so you could put it on a broomstick or something and clamp it to your deck railing.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook

Last edited by ChilmarkGryphon : 03-02-2011 at 05:27 PM.
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #138
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilmarkGryphon View Post
@SakuraxTsubasa: What do you mean by a regular garment steamer? I use a travel-sized garment steamer at home, but I've used the big vacuum-cleaner looking ones at my school's costume shop too. It works in place of a hair dryer for other stuff; here's a tutorial from Ion as an example.
Thaaaaank you!
One last question:
I think you mentioned it before, but you said your long wig tangled just as much as before. When you brushed it out afterwards, was it easy/easier?
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #139
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

Nothing prevents tangling other than tying the hair up, but yeah, it's easier to brush out a pre-treated wig. The silicone helps keep the hairs from sticking to each other when they get tangled, so you end up with less end-frizz where the fibers have gotten stretched out, which is what makes it hard to run your fingers through a long wig.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #140
Laurencat

Will WD-40 work? I noticed in a thread that someone used and it worked, but another mentioned it wears off? My dad has some which he uses for his car, and I can use it if it'll work.

Also, would it work on wigs from Cosplay fu? (It's a stocking wig from panty and stocking) I'd link it but it got removed last time for some reason.

Also, when I comb the wig, it just keeps pulling strands out. Is that normal? Is it meant to be thinning the first time you get it?
Laurencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:23 AM   #141
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

WD-40 is a different creature altogether: it has no silicone and was designed as a waterproofing spray (which is why it's Water Displacement 40), with only slight lubricating properties. 3-in-1, which is made by the same company, is intended mainly for lubrication.

It should work on all synthetic wigs, regardless of manufacturer.

Most wigs shed a little, poorly made wigs shed a lot. If you're loosing a lot of hair, you might want to turn the wig inside out and add some clear silicone caulk along the weft stitching. Squeeze some caulk out onto something disposable, pick up small amounts on a coffee stirrer or similarly sized impliment, and dab it sparingly onto the sewn part of each weft. Don't get it on the loose hair or it'll make a mess.

Unread 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #142
Taliesiin
the Adventurer

The links to these posts:
"- Dupont Silicone (Teflon/Silicone?) (post #101)
- Walmart's Heavy Duty Silicone Lubricant (post #118)"

Go to the same post about the Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray.
Taliesiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #143
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

Edited, thanks. Could not find the posts that used to be #101; I'm wondering if something got deleted and moved the post counts, or if I messed up the links in my 2am stupor. The postcount number in the URL was different for both links *is bemused*

Unread 04-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #144
Lady Marionette
Call me Pixi! :]

The 3-in-1 spray worked on my 80cm Delphine wig! Now to detangle all my other long wigs. Mwuahaha!

Thanks for the awesome tip! <3
Lady Marionette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #145
Crystalsetsuna
Crazy Beardie Lady

I LOVE YOUU!! sooo glad for this article! i recently got the exact same platinum wig from cosplay.com..and after trying it on a few times,it's got some rather bad tangles in it...^-^0.thankfully,i got a nice wig loopbrush and my dad has liquid wrench silicone spray...whoohoo!so there's a nice lil project for tomorrow...i gotta ask though,does the sprays effects like...linger?like does it keep the wig all smoothy looking and stuff?just curious.thank you again for de article!!!!*bows*

EDIT: okay,i finally got into the process!! my dad made me a nice lil wig hanger, instead of buying one online<he's awesome and he's mah daddy!MAH i say!!>so we hung it up on a door on the back patio<which we lined with black garbage bags> and i sprayed and brushed away.

used a big hair pick and a rather fine toothed comb and my loopbristle wig brush.it is now currently totally brushed through for most of the length,i only did to below the wig cap. it looks all wet and hangs together in strands from where my brushs ran through.waiting for it to dry and hoping it will look dry! also,my hands DID get really slippery,but some water and handsoap,ordinary hand soap,took that right off.so yeah.^-^ will edit again like...tomorrow or whenever it's dry looking again.or if it's a long time and it doesn't look dry^-^

EDIT: okay,it's been two days AND!....my wig still looks wet and kinda lanky/greasy.uh,eheh....and it was dripping i think silicone most of today...had to put newspaper under the wig where i'd hung it outside.even a full day in bright sunlight didn't seem to help!...anyone got any tips?

EDIT 2: alright,it's been a...while! talked to the lady who started this all..uh..apparently the liquid wrench stuff has mineral oil as a carrier,instead of the stuff that evaporates...so i had a greasy wig!^-^0 but a wash with Dawn and then Herbal Essences put the wig to rights and made it smell nice.so....yeah^-^gotta get that 3-in-1 i guess!

Last edited by Crystalsetsuna : 04-19-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: adding information
Crystalsetsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #146
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

One last quick question!
So, you're really only spraying the stuff on the ends and wherever you need it? (i.e. knots)
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #147
totorolover
Sleep is 4 loserS!

thinking about doing this on my Chobits chi wig but i have one concern, the costume is satin, will the spray rub off and affect the fabric? i have visions of oil spots

costume list

chii- clamp no kieske cover
Dream - sandman comics
caption harlock (for husband)
totoro dress (daughter)
totorolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #148
Crystalsetsuna
Crazy Beardie Lady

i'm doing Chii too!^-^ my costume satiny as well. i've fingered my wig a lot after using the wrong silicone spray and i've touched my costume after that. and my costume doesn't have any spots. so i think as long as your wig feels okay to the touch, your costume should feel just fine
Crystalsetsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #149
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

Afghdljds sorry for neglecting the thread, I've been moving D:

@SakuraxTsubasa: That's the basic idea. Although when I'm working on wigs, "the ends" seems to end up being "everything below the hairtie when I pull it back into a ponytail".

@totorolover: The blonde wig pictured in the first post of this thread was worn with a white satin costume, which has remained free of oil spots (except around the hem where the darn fabric marking pencil didn't iron out arrrrrgh). The idea is that the solvents evaporate within an hour or two of application, so the only stuff left is the silicone molecules.

Unread 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #150
FireFoxcut9
Peasent ---> Princess

I'm glad I found this!! I hope it works on mine, I got thishttp://amphigory.com/wigs_really_long.html for my Chi cosplay and it. looks. like. crap. lol I'm definitely going to try this once it gets here from my g-ma's house. Thanks for the good advice!
FireFoxcut9 is offline   Reply With Quote