Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #46
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

Once the propellants have evaporated, the spray is completely inert and harmless. While it's wet, it's about as dangerous as anything else that comes out of an aerosol can :P If you were to, say, soak your hands in straight lubricant for several hours a day, yes, the butane in the propellant would start to irritate your skin. But the butane evaporates after you spray it onto the wig.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #47
Battousai-nii
Wanderer

Well I did this for ALA and it worked like a charm. Look at my profile pic the see the after results. The side used to be one big matted mass.

As for fearing the chemicals, just let it sit long enough for the butane to evaporate and there is no harm. Also, only work with this stuff in a well-ventilated area. I even ran this idea past my mechanic friends before trying it out and they assured me I wouldn't poison myself as long as the wig gets aired for a day or so.
Battousai-nii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #48
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslapedo View Post
I'll be getting an Ivy wig and I'll need to style the bangs- probably with hairspray/gel- should I style first then treat it with this to prevent tangling, or spray it and then style?
I Know this was posted a while ago...

I used this on my Ivy wig to pre-treat it, I didn't use the spray on the bangs but the rest of the hair first before styling it. The silicone dose not effect how it Got2B glued hair product work, I just chose not to lube up the bangs to give it more tooth.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #49
RazorRain
Sora fan

I have a Rinoa wig (so about a mid-length wig) that is so terribly dull and tangly. So my question is should I use this silicone spray or the motions oil spray? What would you all recommend? And is it ok if I wash and condition the wig before applying either one?
RazorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #50
Battousai-nii
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRain View Post
I have a Rinoa wig (so about a mid-length wig) that is so terribly dull and tangly. So my question is should I use this silicone spray or the motions oil spray? What would you all recommend? And is it ok if I wash and condition the wig before applying either one?
I have only tried this kind, but I do know that Motions also works because it contains a silicone lubricant. However, it also contains oils which might leave more residue. This stuff is also easily available at the local hardware store.

My wig was washed and conditioned a bit as I was trying to fix it before discovering this stuff.
Unread 01-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #51
RazorRain
Sora fan

Thank you, I think I will go with the lubricant from the hardware store. Putting oils in my wig just doesn't sound pleasant lol
RazorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #52
ZephyrEclipse

This sounds like a great solution for my friend, whose Grell wig is currently a haggard, tangled, frizzy mess. I, myself, am going to get a long Watari (Yami no Matsuei) wig in the near future and this could come in handy for me too.

Okay, so I just wanna be sure of what I'm buying before I go to the hardware store and buy it. I went and looked a little while ago but didn't purchase anything; I couldn't find the lubricant mentioned in the first post (3-in-1 Silicone Spray Lubricant), but I found several different type of lubricants in the car care aisle. Amongst them, I found one that's pure silicone and one that's a Silicone lubricant that supposedly contains petroleum distillates. So, would the latter of the lubricants be the right one to get? Mostly, the others were just silicone mixes I guess (I'm not very familiar with these things). Could I get one of these? Thanks~
ZephyrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #53
KittenToofs
Taste the rainbow.

I wish I'd known about this before I threw out my old wig. ~_~ It was so terribly ratty and tangled, that I could barely handle it. (Being as I am an easily stressed person, it was quite.. stressful.:P) It wasn't as high quality as some of the fibers out there, but it was terrible either.

This would have saved me allot of trouble. I'm definitely going to save this thread for the future. ~('3')~

I will take Watermelon, actually.
Unread 01-28-2010, 02:53 AM   #54
Battousai-nii
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrEclipse View Post
This sounds like a great solution for my friend, whose Grell wig is currently a haggard, tangled, frizzy mess. I, myself, am going to get a long Watari (Yami no Matsuei) wig in the near future and this could come in handy for me too.

Okay, so I just wanna be sure of what I'm buying before I go to the hardware store and buy it. I went and looked a little while ago but didn't purchase anything; I couldn't find the lubricant mentioned in the first post (3-in-1 Silicone Spray Lubricant), but I found several different type of lubricants in the car care aisle. Amongst them, I found one that's pure silicone and one that's a Silicone lubricant that supposedly contains petroleum distillates. So, would the latter of the lubricants be the right one to get? Mostly, the others were just silicone mixes I guess (I'm not very familiar with these things). Could I get one of these? Thanks~
It would be the silicone lubricant with petroleum distillate. Mine is a different company than the picture also. The pure silicone spray dries hard, and is used to surface things like models.
Unread 01-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #55
Riiko Izawa

I'm planning on checking for this within the next week or so,
and I ordered the Clover L for my Lucy cosplay.

Should it be sprayed with the silicone lubricant as soon as it's out of the bag and combed through on the wig head? Or would just combing suffice? How often should you be spraying it with the silicone - or is it just for whenever it looks like it's getting tangled?

ASHLEY
Riiko Izawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #56
CosmosFox
Like a Boss

I couldn't find the sparay that's mentioned but I found another spray but I'm not sure it would work. It is called Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray. It contains petroleum distillates, napthenic oil, silicone and carbon dioxide.
Anime Mid-Atlantic 2012

I'm OPEN for commissions!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CosmosFox
Commissions are OPEN! http://cosmosfox.deviantart.com/journal/42538587/
CosmosFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #57
Battousai-nii
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riiko Izawa View Post
I'm planning on checking for this within the next week or so,
and I ordered the Clover L for my Lucy cosplay.

Should it be sprayed with the silicone lubricant as soon as it's out of the bag and combed through on the wig head? Or would just combing suffice? How often should you be spraying it with the silicone - or is it just for whenever it looks like it's getting tangled?
Using the wig head for this is a good idea if you want to avoid spraying certain parts. It makes the hair more slippery, so you might want to avoid spraying the bangs.
I do plan to pretreat any future wigs, but generally I've just been using it as a treatment for tangling.
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #58
jianna
DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS

@CosmosFox: Just used that brand on my Miku and it seems ok, although I don't think I got the treatment in very thoroughly - I sprayed the the comp and ran it through, rather than comb and wig. I was being timid. It seems to have worked ok, though, for not having been terribly thorough. It still tangles (I'm wearing it now to test) but it doesn't LOOK quite so frizzy at least.

Now on DeviantArt!

Last edited by jianna : 01-29-2010 at 11:12 PM.
jianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #59
nyappyfebreze

So can someone clarify (for those of us who have no idea what we're dealing with) exactly which components of this are necessary? So that if we can't find the brand posted, we can find something similar. I assume the silicone is necessary, is the petroleum also necessary?

For instance,would this not work because it has no petroleum?
nyappyfebreze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #60
Roxicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurynTheHylian View Post
I have a long, curly wig. Is it okay to use this on it? Or will it take out the curls at all?
I tried using this, although a version from my country since the 3-in-1 isn't available here, on my very tangled and frizzy Nia-wig which originally had a lot of cork-screw curls. Those had lessened since I tried to save the wig by careful combing, but it just ended up stretching the fiber and damaging it. So basically the damage is already done and it can't get back into it's original condition, but I can say that the silicone spray did make the wig softer and completely brushable with ease. Although now the wig is more wavy than curly, so I'll have to try to curl it once it's properly dry. So as an answer: yes it will take out the curls and make it more wavy, but it could depend on the wig you have and it did sort out the tangles. Once I'm done with the detangling I'll try to curl the wig and I'll tell you how that turns out
Roxicle is offline   Reply With Quote