Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #61
LaurynTheHylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxicle View Post
I tried using this, although a version from my country since the 3-in-1 isn't available here, on my very tangled and frizzy Nia-wig which originally had a lot of cork-screw curls. Those had lessened since I tried to save the wig by careful combing, but it just ended up stretching the fiber and damaging it. So basically the damage is already done and it can't get back into it's original condition, but I can say that the silicone spray did make the wig softer and completely brushable with ease. Although now the wig is more wavy than curly, so I'll have to try to curl it once it's properly dry. So as an answer: yes it will take out the curls and make it more wavy, but it could depend on the wig you have and it did sort out the tangles. Once I'm done with the detangling I'll try to curl the wig and I'll tell you how that turns out :)
I'm actually asking because of a Nia wig myself.
After moving it around due to dying it it's gotten a little knotty and frizzy. I would like to get rid of the frizz but I'm afraid if I get rid of the curls that I won't be able to get them back in the wig. I'm scared I'll burn/melt the fibers.
M.A.I. Con : Zelda (ALttP)

Tumblr | Wig Commissions
LaurynTheHylian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #62
Roxicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurynTheHylian View Post
I'm actually asking because of a Nia wig myself.
After moving it around due to dying it it's gotten a little knotty and frizzy. I would like to get rid of the frizz but I'm afraid if I get rid of the curls that I won't be able to get them back in the wig. I'm scared I'll burn/melt the fibers.
Oh, what a coincidence Although my wig is not dyed as far as I know, since I bought it from eBay as it was, so I have no idea how the silicone spray would affect a dyed wig. I'm also a bit worried about getting the curls back, but it should be fine. Still, I won't be burning my wig with hot curlers or boiling water. I'll just go with cold water and rollers for the first try to see how it works. I'm submitting some photos of the process of detangling right now, so you'll be able to see how it looks at the moment. I'll let you know once I'm finished submitting them all
Roxicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #63
Roxicle

Photos of detangling a curly wig

Alright, I've submitted some before & in-progress photos of my poor, tangled Nia-wig which I detangled with a silicone spray. Still need to wait for it to dry so I can show some after-photos as well as if the wig can be curled back to its old self, but these should do for the time being. This is an example for those who have curly wigs and wonder what happens to them once treated with silicone spray. Here are the photograps:

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/175008/

Hopefully you can find this somewhat useful ^^
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #64
LaurynTheHylian

I've never heard of using cold water to curl. How exactly does that work?

Thanks for posting progress pics.
M.A.I. Con : Zelda (ALttP)

Tumblr | Wig Commissions
LaurynTheHylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #65
Roxicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurynTheHylian View Post
I've never heard of using cold water to curl. How exactly does that work?
I actually have no idea if it works that well on wigs, but I used to curl my own hair with cold water back in the day when it was very long. I either made my hair completely wet and covered my head with rollers and let the hair dry, or I put the rollers first and then sprayed water on them until the hair was moist. It probably won't work on a wig, but I shall try since I really don't want to damage the wig more than I already have by combing it before the silicone spray.
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #66
Seena-Cha
Cosplay Guru of Love

So this could work if i use it on a synthetic wig that is about 5 years old o3o ? and is prob worth 7 bucks?

TBA
Seena-Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #67
MDA
Destiny Productions

I should so use that for my Rider wig. Though she currently lives in the top drawer of my dresser.
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #68
Cat-Chans
Glaceon, I choose you!

Has anyone tried this on a curly or wavy wig?
I have a long wavy wig that I'm about ready to get rid of, the bottom is a frizzy, kinky mess.
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #69
Roxicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Chans View Post
Has anyone tried this on a curly or wavy wig?
I have a long wavy wig that I'm about ready to get rid of, the bottom is a frizzy, kinky mess.
Yes, I have used silicone spray to detangle a curly wig.
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #70
sweet_oneesama
Incurable otaku XD

Wow! This thread is so useful! My Riku wig, no matter how much I comb it, keeps getting tangled every time I wear it, and even worse when I put the blindfold on. I will definitely try this spray.

<3333333333
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #71
MDA
Destiny Productions

I'm so going to use this on my Rider wig. I haven't worn it to a con yet, and already it's a total mess.
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #72
Nikeah

OMG. This totally works!!! I just tried it on a small portion on the bottom of my wig to test it (just in case it messes it up) and it works like magic. Since there haven't been many before and after pictures, I'll post some up later. My wig is the definition of trashed and it didn't help that it was a cheap wig. It was like 35 bucks from china and it's 51" long.

I had to take a break because of the fumes but I'll get back to it.
Nikeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #73
KuraKaze

Has anyone tried to style a wig that has been detangled with this method? I can see that it would be great for anime characters whose hair style is just hanging straight down, but I wonder if the fibers can still be easily curled/hairsprayed etc.

AN2011:
Rachel Alucard (BlazBlue)
Sister Paula (Trinity Blood)
TBA

Commissions:
Ragna (BlazBlue)
Hazama (BlazBlue)
KuraKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #74
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilmarkGryphon View Post
@MangoChutney: The slipperyness pretty much stays put. I put it on this morning and wore it around for a while to see how it behaved. It started looking mussed up after the usual 15 minute period (at cons I tie the hair into tiny bundles to keep it neat), but fingercombing it neat again didn't result in the usual fistfuls of ratty kanekalon.
Does it return to that lovely tidiness?

2014 Cons/Events:

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 04-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #75
GORGEOUScissors
MEKIseki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuraKaze View Post
Has anyone tried to style a wig that has been detangled with this method? I can see that it would be great for anime characters whose hair style is just hanging straight down, but I wonder if the fibers can still be easily curled/hairsprayed etc.
I'm also curious about this.
I have a tangled heat resistant wig but I was wondering is spraying would affect its ability to be curled/straightened with heat styling tools =/
GORGEOUScissors is offline   Reply With Quote