Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Unread 10-05-2002, 03:12 PM   #1
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

Drawing manga

DAMN DAMN SON OF A BITCH!!!

grrr sorry but i just got th worst haircut in the entire world so im very pissy right now...

but any ways

Im really really good at drawing realism but... i can't seem to get the art of manga down. I have this mental block on it. Im used to manipulating shadeing but you don't do that in manga.

ITS TO SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

It's driving me nuts ( if i had enough hair left i would rip it out)

Dose anyone have any pointers or websites i can go to to get help?
DJ(SiC)ness is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2002, 03:33 PM   #2
Spooky Brew
CosplayWillFuckUpYourLife

Go to here:
http://polykarbon.com/
Awesome tutotorials, especially good for Photoshop effects! Sorry about the hair! Everyone gets a bad cut once in there life!
Spooky Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2002, 03:37 PM   #3
kelldar
kelldar the barbarian

It's not really all that simple - you *do* have to know some realism and fine arts stuff in order to do it well. But yeah, check out polykarbon, they got some sweet tutorials ^_^
Unread 10-05-2002, 08:46 PM   #4
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

And I think that Julie Dillion's tutorials are now housed at howtodrawmanga.com . . . but I would say this, if you do realism well, start there and work towards the manga style. You may find something in between that's much more interesting and original. The tutorials make you feel like there's just one way to approach the manga drawing style, but if you look at enough manga, you'll see that there's plenty of variety there . . .
Unread 10-05-2002, 08:50 PM   #5
hel-chan
Eh..watashi wa baka desu

*looks offended*...eh...what are you TALKING about...?? Too SIMPLE?! Obviously, there are different types of anime. And obviously- there's different (art) styles in manga. You've heard of "Angel Sanctuary" by Yuki Kaori, right(is it getting too popular? ah...~_~; ) ? Can you honestly look at her *art* and call it simple?

Simply, try to weave in your already established skills in realist drawing with a hint of anime. Remember, there's also "realistic" anime( the one that I can think of right now seem's to be "I's"...hmmm.....*thinks* )

And ah, there is a lot of shading in manga. As I said, it all depends on the artist's personal style. (Although, yes in manga you use screen tones because it's easier, FASTER(most mangakas do have to meet deadlines), and it doesn't completely kill off your hand).

"To simple"...-_-

~Hel-chan
all the insides left cold and gray

there is a place that still remains
it eats the fear it eats the pain
the sweetest price he'll have to pay
the day the whole world went away

-NIN, "The Day the World Went Away"
hel-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2002, 12:21 PM   #6
plastiknife

You're lucky! I'm just the opposite.. I can draw anything anime or manga related but when it comes to realism I can't shy away from those beautiful long legs and huge eyes. My gallery is here if you're interested in seeing what I mean.

In a month when my portfolio is due so I can apply to Savannah College of Art and Design they will laugh at my little characters and scold me on my lack of ability to draw the human as it really is. or something like that

as for your hair.. eh, well it will grow and until then you can wear a dainty hat! muah!

(EASTSIDE WUT WUT!!?!?!)
plastiknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2002, 12:59 PM   #7
hel-chan
Eh..watashi wa baka desu

plastiknife, your art is adorable!^-^ I especially love the mspurple image from the Traditional section! *_* Look at my art too, ne ^-^;

http://www.side7.com/art/helkwaen/gallery.html

It's awgully slow though...-.-; *kicks side7*>.<

I have a friend who'll be applying at Savannah College of Art and Design ^_^...Hey, maybe if you make them look more abstract-ish they won't say anything about your art...*shrugs*what are you going to major in...?

Unread 10-06-2002, 01:27 PM   #8
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

yeah i know my hair will grow back, i have quick growing Italian hair, which is acually a curse most of the time. But i gave here a picture of me last time i got my haircut, and what i wanted, and she did something completly diffrent. SHe cut tons of my hair off. Now i have this short ass army looking hair cut , and im sooo pissed,

But i want to draw clamp style

Last edited by DJ(SiC)ness : 10-06-2002 at 01:29 PM.
Unread 10-06-2002, 01:32 PM   #9
Celine
Remember me?

The best way to improve or learn the style is to find an artist you like (like CLAMP) and just practice copying their art. It's tough to just try and imitate the style without trying to recreate the art you like. That way, you can look at the mistakes you make while copying and learn the details of how they shape the face and body, what sort of strokes/thickness they use for the lines, and such... ^^ Being able to draw realistically will probably help you a lot since many people who want to be artists have a terrible sense of proportion.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2002, 01:55 PM   #10
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

i acually have a good sense of proportion but aince i have been drawing a certain way my whole life manga is just foregin .

Also what type of art media do you use for manga?
Unread 10-07-2002, 12:19 AM   #11
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Different people use different materials for doing manga . . . I think the general standard, in the US (from people I've talked to), is Micron pens, paper of your choice (printer paper for those of us on the cheap, Bristol board if you go all out; I have some Japanese manga paper, which is my preference), and most people do digitones because real tones are too expensive. If you get the first book, I think it is, of the How to Draw Manga series (or flip through it somewhere heheh), they go through the "traditional" manga tools in Japan. Personally pen-wise I recommend the Microns; using a pen with an ink well is very foreign to most Westerners.

Eh, even though I'm not much of an artist, I know a number of people who are so I can go into further detail if you want . . . and drag out that link to the screentones/manga supplies place . . .
Unread 10-07-2002, 03:09 AM   #12
Spooky Brew
CosplayWillFuckUpYourLife

Actually, my art teacher does do comic book art for a living, and he preferbly uses microns and Blue Line bristol board for his pages. Me on the other hand, I use strathmore, I try to draw on paper that their pound is more than 80, makes a big difference! But scanning into the computer and choosing the right kind of paper and pen mix is a whole other monster... ;p
Try to focus on what makes you feel comfortable, microns make me nervous, so I use uniballs to sharpies to ink my pictures. As well on Antarctic-press.com, they sell tones on disk format so it's easier to put on your pictures on the computer, gonna get one REAL soon...
Spooky Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 06:46 PM   #13
plastiknife

hel-chan, I looked at your artwork.. (although you are right, it was slooooow loading ^_~) and I love your wings and they way your character's fabric hangs on them.. ahh that sounded weird, but I know what I mean.. hehe

I want to either go into Illustration or Sequential Art (that's comics) at SCAD...

as for styles, what really got me interesting in comics was Jhonen Vasquez. Yep, I am a closet fan of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. But that is only tied with my devotion to anime-style artwork.

oh well, my portfolio advisor will have to get over with it..

and BTW.. on certain occasions army haircuts can look pretty freakin' hot. trust me.

(EASTSIDE WUT WUT!!?!?!)
plastiknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 07:32 PM   #14
hel-chan
Eh..watashi wa baka desu

x_x;indeed, side7 sucks. But it's free and they have no problem w/ big sized pics so yeah...I'm glad ye liked my art ne!^_^

Oh God...There's this kid at my school...Scary little freshman he is...I swear to God though, if Johnny the Homicidal Maniac was real, he'd look EXACTLY like that kid. Although the way he talks is more like uh...say a char from "Invader Zim" per se...*sigh*...the boy's scary but amusing...he randomly jumps on people(literally) and makes all these noises...wonder what Mr. Vasquez would say if he could see him.o.o;

eh...cool majors. Good luck w/ yer portfolio ne!^_^

Unread 10-08-2002, 08:23 PM   #15
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

you do know vasquez made zim/

I love vasquezs stuff, he signed on of my squee comics and my squeek toy!!! I got my pic taken with him but the guys at the photoshop screwed up my negatives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 uggg oh well