Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Mass Effect

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 112 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 07-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #1891
soren7550
Overly proud New Yorker

Not entirely relevant, but guess who I met recently?:

Gavin Dunne, aka Miracle of Sound!

I did actually talk to him a bit about cosplays. I told him what I was planing for NYCC (he liked the first two but was a bit confused by the Pokemon one), and he talked about the BioWare cosplays he saw at SDCC. He also said he met Holly Conrad, and was surprised to learn that she made the armor herself.

Gah, I really need to get started on my crap!
"A philosopher will ask that if a tree were to fall in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, would it still make a sound. A smart person would ask why the presence of a person determines whether or not a tree makes a sound as it falls." - Soren Alenko

Cosplays for NYCC 2012!:
Commander Shepard (N7 Hoodie) - 95% Completed
Dovahkinn (Novice Robes) - 95% Completed
Ethan/Gold (HeartGold/SoulSilver) - 85% Completed
soren7550 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #1892
tiikay
there is no spork.

All of you have amazing cosplays put together! Makes me more nervous about continuing to work on mine because I hope mine turns out just as awesome! I'm hoping I can finally put my art aside and get my ME2 (oh, so old) N7 Armor finished for Fan Expo at the end of August.

Random question: Any tips for how I should be heating and forming the chest plate? I've heard about the oven technique, the heat gun technique... not sure which to use without setting stuff on fire. The main reason I've put this costume off is because I'm a little intimidated by the chestplate tbh XD

tiikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #1893
Lucilia

I've been using a hair-dryer. Slow, but works better than you'd think. Not done yet though so your mileage may vary.
Lucilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #1894
Paigey
Fighting da powa

We used an industrial heat gun to form my armor and it worked just fine, you just have to be careful not to scorch the foam. However, if you're going for a damaged/worn look, then the scorching isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #1895
tiikay
there is no spork.

Awesome, thanks guys! So excited to jump back on this project. I think my first run will be as shiny/new as possible, but I can only imagine the costume is going to pick up some nicks and scratches here and there... then I'll go all out with the worn look.

tiikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #1896
Lucilia

I am running into a problem with my N7 armour build using EVA foam tiles, specifically when securing pieces together. Due to my lack of skill, my armour pieces do not always fit together perfectly, which leaves ugly holes between pieces and even makes it hard to glue them together. I've tried sanding them down to fit, but there always remain some uneven parts which don't fit and it looks really bad as a result.

Does anyone have an idea how I can best fill in these gaps and help secure pieces together? They are always "nearly perfect" but never "actually perfect" and its becoming a real problem for me. If anyone has any idea's, I would be most grateful...
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #1897
phenrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammnra View Post
I was wondering if I could pick the collective Cosplay.com ME community brain for any suggestions y'all might have. I'm getting ready my first DragonCon this year and I'm going for a "Tallus" Tali + Garrus Mash Up. I've finished the face part of the helmet but I'm still trying to design the rest.

Tali Bits:
General Race
Knife
Fabric Pattern
Belt buckles

Garrus Bits:
Armor chunks
Color scheme
Eye Scanner
Maybe some metal “fringe” out the back of the scarf?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Any help is much appreciated.
I'm working on a male Quarian also (well minus the Garrus part) and I'm pretty stumped on what to do for the buckles on the thighs as well. I have most of the armor/helmet parts figured out in my head (so not really) and have a few ideas for the cummerbund-ish utility belt though.

One idea that may be worth considering for your costume, maybe try incorporating the eye scanner via something similar to Boba Fett's rangefinder? Something that can flip down in front of the visor or other. May be a little tricky since the male quarian helmet is rather horse-faced.
phenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #1898
CliffnCain
Chillin'

-_- Seriously need to get started on my project but bills and work have slowed me down badly, I already figured out how I'm making the damaged armour pieces and concluded it'll drive me nuts when I finally get the ball rolling.

The serious cosplayer.

Skype me at Datcrazyeric (pretty please?)
CliffnCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #1899
mikcy
subject zero

Hey guys! I was wondering if you could help me out with something on Jack. What can I use to make the circle on her legs/boots? I am noob when it comes to that. Thanks!

Ref. picture: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...rence#/d4tjtn1

cosplays 2013
♫c.viper (street fighter iv) → jack (mass effect 3) → elsa (frozen) → morrigan (dragon age: inquisition) ♫

tumblrfb
mikcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #1900
Lucilia

I'd have a look at the furniture components in your local DIY store. They often have things shaped like this to decorate furniture - it'd be wood, but with a good paint job that should be ok. Alternative idea's: ceiling lamps or yoyo's (cut in half)
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #1901
Paigey
Fighting da powa

Personally I'd look into resin casting or perhaps even model magic/ paper clay to sculpt them. Though looking into finding furniture components is a good suggestion too!
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #1902
Coles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikcy View Post
Hey guys! I was wondering if you could help me out with something on Jack. What can I use to make the circle on her legs/boots? I am noob when it comes to that. Thanks!

I second the resin thing. Don't know if you've been to SSC (http://sculpturesupply.com/) near Kipling station, but they sell some easy to use, in-door safe resins. I've used Smooth-cast 32* series, and its very simple to use. Make a mold, and away you go, so that all the circles are identicle. In the end, you are probably gonna save time doing it that way, instead of trying to hassal and craft foam, or mold it, but that's just me.
Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #1903
soren7550
Overly proud New Yorker

Got half of the piping sewed onto the pants. I know it's a bit crooked and off, but piping is a bitch to sew on straight. Second time 'round it should be a little easier since I can use the piping I sewed on first as a guide.

Also finally took the velcro off the patch that I got with the N7 ed. of ME3, and I set up the lines for where I may paint the stripe on the hoodie (haven't started yet since I think I set the stripe up to be too big, it might be off center/crooked, and because I need to clear off the desk so that I have a place to paint it & let it dry).
"A philosopher will ask that if a tree were to fall in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, would it still make a sound. A smart person would ask why the presence of a person determines whether or not a tree makes a sound as it falls." - Soren Alenko

Cosplays for NYCC 2012!:
Commander Shepard (N7 Hoodie) - 95% Completed
Dovahkinn (Novice Robes) - 95% Completed
Ethan/Gold (HeartGold/SoulSilver) - 85% Completed
soren7550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #1904
Sylon_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikcy View Post

You could always carve them out of thick EVA foam. That's what I did for all of my ME2 Jack's buckles and such.
Sylon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #1905
cherimoon
Oh dear...

Hello ME cosplayers!

I'm working on a set of n7 armour myself and seem to be progressing well so far.

Some tips I found when working:

-when using hot glue to secure pieces of eva foam together, score (scratch to make rough ridge) the edges that you're going to bond. It helps the glue grip.

-if/when painting, I suggest going will semi gloss spray paint. I ran out of the stuff partway through the breastplate and I found an old can of rust paint. It worked nicely as well.

-when making elbow joints/pieces, a good material to use are make-up sponges. They usually come in white and don't have holes in them like kitchen sponges do. They might not hold glue as well, so score them. They're bendable yet keep their shape well so your elbow pieces allow for movement

-for me female breastplate, I used the oven method. It might be hard getting the shape you need at first, but I find re-heating it, then constantly squeezing it against the mould (shape of the breast) a few times works for me.

-the collar part needed to be secure and I found that just a heat-shaping wasn't enough. I glued a thick craft wire on the inside of it to help hug my neck and it won't be seen as well after I paint it.

-a lot of things are well hidden after you paint it. When there are gaps between two pieces because I didn't do a well enough job cutting, I fill it with hot glue and I use the still hot tip of the glue gun to shape it a bit more. Its near indistinguishable after I paint it.

-to help pieces of the armour stay in place, I glued thick strips of elastic the shame colour as my undersuit to keep the spacing in between each armour piece. It prevented slipping.

(Sorry if there are mistakes, typing this on my phone!)

All I need to do are the legs, weird belt thing, feet and the gun. I plan on making the scorpion out of mostly foam and wood.

[Fire Emblem 7: Rekka No Ken / Blazing Sword] Florina - 30% Unplugged Expo
[Fire Emblem Awakening} Lucina - 80% Unplugged Expo

cherimoon is offline   Reply With Quote