Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Boston

Unread 08-13-2003, 10:21 PM   #1
Dagger
Oooh, soft.

Easter?

It has come to my attention that Anime Boston is going to be from the 9th to 11th of April. That starts on Good Friday and ends on Easter Sunday! Is anyone else upset about this? I don't know how many people celebrate Easter, but I do, and this is a major inconvenience!
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2003, 10:39 PM   #2
chocoborancher
Gameshow Coordinator-Host

This has been expressed in the past, and has been written into Anime Boston's FAQ. http://www.animeboston.com/about/faq.html#43

This has been remedied for 2005. (It's not on that weekend)
chocoborancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 09:44 AM   #3
Sweet~Pea
Cosplayer/Photographer

It was like that last year as well. I really don't mind it. I get friday off from school because of the holiday so I don't have to skip school for the con. I'm not religious so I don't have a problem with it. My friend left on Sunday morning, last year, to go home and go to church.
(Well that's my two cents)
-Christa

Photoshoots available at Katsucon 2012!
Sweet~Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2003, 07:13 AM   #4
Jun_Kazama

Doesn't bother me cuz I don't celebrate easter.
Jun_Kazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2003, 09:24 AM   #5
RX 03
Doubleyuu tee eff?

It's also on passover again. >.<

Next Convention: Anime Expo
RX 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
Brit Bear Boy
I'm a little teapot.

Last year it was really trying because just the people on the streets were against it being on these days. My friend went as Wolfwood, and had to carry an exceptionally large wooden cross, all wrapped in sheets and belts on the subway. On Good Friday. People kept stopping him to scold him, and this one weird old lady wouldn't stop yelling at him. James finally explained that it was a prop for a costume, and this seemed to calm her down until another in our group (with fabulous tact!) exclaimed "Yeah. It's actually a weapon!" Oy...
Brit Bear Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 04:19 PM   #7
Alisa
Spoony Bard Violinist

I am Buddhist, so it really works out for me. I get to fly to Boston during Spring Break, stay, go to the convention, and then go back home not having to miss any school.

My sister and her husband's family are jewish, so I will most likely only have to miss for passover dinner, oh and help cook...ahhhh at least I get to eat a really nice dinner though. At Acen I end up just starving myself.

Yayness for the fact she lives near the hotel! ^-^

"Good lighting fixes everything."
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2003, 04:18 PM   #8
X Kamui
o-)x__X) ---+o-(^__^(-o

If you run into problems confilicting w. easter u could

A. goto church in mourning, then goto AB
B. Not goto church, casue hey... Ab comes once a year (it might work w/ ur parents, just give em the guilt trip)
C. just go on saturday or sunday.

oh yeh, and food-wize i found a really nice place to eat for cheap near AB, its got subs and sandwiches n stuff. just ask aorund, there are some good, close places to eat near the hotel.
Unread 09-11-2003, 01:57 PM   #9
Michela
Grapes are fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Bear Boy
My friend went as Wolfwood, and had to carry an exceptionally large wooden cross, all wrapped in sheets and belts on the subway. On Good Friday.
Don't worry, I did the exact same thing (Mika-chan and I both carried crosses, though ours were a bit less conspicuous than Wolfwood's... plus, we only had to walk about a block and a half to get to the Park Plaza.) Since we spent most of our time at the convention itself, the only people who approached Mike and I about the crosses remarked on how appropriate it was, being Good Friday (honestly, one must take such an expression with a grain of salt... I mean, in churches, images of the Christian savior being impaled on a cross are rampant.) I personally converted out of Christianity years ago, but I still celebrate with my family more for reunion purposes.
The weekend isn't too much of an inconvenience for me... I have Friday as a day off from school, so I have the opportunity to go to Anime Boston for Friday and Saturday... I can't go on Sunday as I meet with my family on thta day, but I always finish everything I want to do by then.
Michela: "I'm planning to place scorpions in my next costume, so that I can approach craftsmanship judges and say, 'not only did I hand make the entire dress, but I also added scorpions into the lining. I walk carefully when I wear it because I never know when they will strike. They are crawling around somewhere in the hems as we speak...'
And the judges will reply, 'SCORPIONS, YOU SAY? HAVE A TROPHY.'
Victory will be mine."
Ali: Scorpions are the new beading!
Michela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 01:30 AM   #10
cyankirby
I'm coming for you...

I really don't mind that it's on that weekend. Most of my college friends have gone back home so I have no one to hang out with anyway... I plan on getting home on mid Sunday so I can enjoy the holiday with my family a little. But being at a con is so exciting I'm sure I won't even think about it!
Fubar (Suikoden III) - Finished
Warcraft costume TBA - In Progress
Serina (Magna Carta) - In Progress
Oki (Wolf form) (Okami) - In Progress
Dryad/centaur (World of Warcraft) - Finished
cyankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2003, 10:07 PM   #11
FujiHonda

My parents are shipping off to Vegas for Easter weekend this year, so it's fine by me. ^_^ My friends mom gave us all little mini-easter bags at the con last year- 'twas sweet of her. =3
Unread 10-21-2003, 10:03 PM   #12
Kitten
U+K Kitten

I would probably be using the Easter weekend to visit colleges around the Boston area (how convenient, ne?), so I don't see how it'd be all that horrible to work a convention into the same weekend... Of course, my mom's a religious fanatic, so it'll take some work on my part to convince her to let me go...
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:12 PM   #13
Kasai
what what

Well, it's kind of weird for me. My family.. we're kinda weird religion-wise. My mom was Christian, my dad was a reform Jew, but neither of their families were very religious. Growing up as an only child, I celebrated Christmas (i.e. opening presents), Hannukkah (i.e. saying a couple prayers, opening presents), Easter (i.e. getting a basket with candy and presents) and Passover (we go to a sader. ^^)

My family's also pretty flexible about our saders, so I don't think I'll have much of a problem at all rescheduling if need be. I guess I'll just get my Easter candy on Monday when I get home. ^^;

In fact, this placement is pretty helpful. I really lucked out as far as con scheduling this year. Katsucon falls at the beginning of my February break, and AB begins the last day of my spring break (which means I can go places beforehand.) It also means that we can leave Thursday night so we'll have looooots of time on Friday. Sai be lucky. =)

I hope everything works out all right for everyone.
Kasai is offline   Reply With Quote