Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 08-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

Fran Cosplay

OKAY! I posted a forum a few days back about a WIP, but I finished it. Er... well, no not really. I ran out of time and money, but wore it anyway.

Now, things that I already know:

1. I am missing the rest of the chest armor, the little skirty thing.
2. My wig is curly
3. You can see the uncolored parts of my armor (again, ran out of time. And paint. =.=ll )
4. Missing nails (blame this on my best friend. XD She had my nails and walked off with them. T_T
5. Lack of make-up (again, lack of money)
6. No claws on the shoes. Actually, they broke off. When someone tripped over my feet. I have very long legs and apparantly people dont watch where they were going...
7. My helmet is a tad lopsided. Yea, gotta fix that.

ANYHOW,

It was unfinished, but I wore is anyway, and I'm glad that I did. Everyone at San Japan really, really, really liked it. They even goaded me into being in the Cosplay contest (I had never done one) and I won a judge's pick award! I was reeealllly excited. The judges were REALLY impressed with my work.

\^0^/

Back to the thread. I made this to get feedback. Everyone at the con liked me (peopled kept calling out to me, even toursists were taking my picture), but I wanna know what you guys think!

Feedback that I'm looking for (and other things along this line):

How's my armor (besides the coloring. Lol).
Is the wig okay?
Can I pull her off? xD

Anything else?

So... yea!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...nCosplayer.jpg

This was my normal pose.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...Cosplayers.jpg

This is me on the stage while the wards were presented (after recieving mine).

I will find a picture from behind SOMEWHERE! I know that people where sneaking pictures... Lol.
Thearah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
The Boss
Mentor

Besides the points you already added I've just a few more tipps:

-the ears. they seem a little too "thick" (fluffy) shorter fur and a little more shape to them would work wonders!
-make up . You seem tan enough, so i would just try to find a good way to make your eye-brows white and add a little make up overall.
-contact lenses, since frans eyes seem light-brown/red (?)
- the "bangs" on your wig are a little too long (and curly, but you already know that)
- the white uhhh "curtain" seems a little too thick/white (I know I'm asking the imposssible >.<°) but maybe you could find a more transparent one? and the details it has on the bottom
- the helmet is a little off-shape in the front and sides
- the head-shape is too flat/normal, since fran has this "special head-shape" ( I know thats very hard to make, but not impossible. I don't want to nitpick or offend you. I just count everything to help you out )
-and last but not least: a little more posing and a little smiling sometimes would be lovely.
- the leg armor seems a little too long (?) I can't see it right on the picture, so just take a look on my reference picture and I'm sure you know what I mean)

Overall you did a really awesome Fran and I really like your work on the armor, it's really awesome and stunning!
the things I count are just small things and not neccessary. But I just wanted to be honest and say what is different from the ref-pic.
I really hope I didn't offend you with my post.
Your Fran IS really great! So if you fix the wig and armor I'm sure you'll be even more awesome!
Well done!

(I don't know fran THAT well since I just watched my gf playing it, so I compared it with this reference:
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery.../ff12-fran.jpg

Hope that helped

Link- Legend of Zelda, TP
Madam Hooch
Der Tod (Elisabeth, Takarazuka)
The Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

No, no! Your advice is really helpful actually. I know about the make up (that lovely tan is courtesy of work, lol) but it's so expensive, and I'm not someone who usually wears it to begin with so it's not like I have some jsut lying around. Ha ha ha. The wig IS curly, but it was the only one I found that was decent enough and fit my budget (not to mention my head. Again, ha ha ha) but I was planning on replacing it anyway.

Again, I know about the armor being a little off, but I was so time-crunched that I made do with what I did because I didn't have time (or materials) to do it over again. But it is on my list to re-do and re-make!

Sadly, I can't wear contacts because my allergies are really bad right now, but I have some ready for next time! I'd be wiping at them and crying all day if I wore them. I'm EVERYTHING.

And the little white curtainy thingy? My best friend and I drove to practically every fabric shop in the city and that was the thinnest that we could find without it being like... netting instead of... meshy-like material. But I thought it looked better than the fishing net. Lol. It pained me to buy it. T_T

I tried to get the wig to shape out a bit, but failed miserably at it (ha ha ha) since this is the first wig I have ever used.

But I'm glad that you still liked it. This is my second cosplay ever so I'm just glad it turned out likable (my ego was especially boosted when the judges liked it. ^_^ ) It's still a work in progress and now that I have time (I just need a new job. I recently lost mine. @_@ ) I should be able to fix it all up. ^_^
Unread 08-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
jounink
Holla!

You probably noticed most of this stuff....

*I do think the wig is a little off in the front, but that could be hidden by making the front of your helm come down lower.
*the ankle bracer look a bit large, but then again the actual fran has thick legs and tiny ankles and the "claws are missing from the shoes, but you know this already.
*The hip plates are also a bit big and i would advise you to paint the inside of your arm guards black (just the visable part)
*attatch a clasp in the front of your jacket, otherwise it just looks torn/stretched.
*I do agree that the ears are a bit thick, but they aren't bad because they look to be proportionate to your frame.
*Lastly, bring in the sides of the "corset" armor in a bit more and hide the edges of the cloth behind it. In mine, i attached it with velcro so i could remove it easily.

I wouldnt bother trying to get darker, just go as you are. Also i feel that buying contacts for her is a waste of cash because you can only tell the color of them in bright/sun light and as for eyebrows leave them alone! I have yet to see perfect white eyebrows on a person that naturally has dark ones. I tried it myself and even though it looked good enough, the were by no means good enough to keep for my cosplay, but maybe i was being too critical on myself...o well.
Over-all you did very well especially on a budget! XD

Do you have any shots os the back of the armor?
*remember feel free to PM me if you need help or have a question!

Last edited by jounink : 08-17-2009 at 11:52 AM.
jounink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

Thank you Jounink!

Most of the stuff that I used we found in our studio, such as the fur for the ears and whatnot. I was going to make a clasp for the front, but I left it for the last moment (stupid move, I know) and no time. T_T

Yes, painting the inside is definately something I need to do. =.= I will buy extra paint this time.
Unread 08-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Mahio

hey there! It's Gabranth from the con. Like I told you when we were talking, Painting the back of the armor would be a plus because the bright colors on the back take away from the good looks.

I would also get something to keep the freying on the white piece to a minimum.

Juri Han: Super Street Fighter 4

Zora Armor Link: Twilight Princess
Mahio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

GABRANTH! MY LOVE. Lol. Yea, I didn't have time to hem it. T_T
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Kagetora

Ooh. One thing i noticed that I don't think anyone said is that you should hem the sides/bottom of the sheer fabric. It looks like it might be starting to fray a bit. If you don't want to hem it, JoAnns sells this stuff called Fray block which is a clear liquid that will keep the fabric from fraying.

Kagetora Commissions: http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...t/15389/cat/16
Kagetora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

Yes, I just ran out of time and money sadly. It's on my to do list. It was okay the first day though.

Still trying to find a picture from the back, but no luck yet.
Unread 08-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

Make up isn't expensive :| You can get eyeliner for like, $6? Anyway if you don't want to buy it because you'll never wear it again, ask to borrow some for conventions from a friend. You'd do well to even out your skin tone, define your eyes, and add a little highlight to your cheeks. You'll just look a million times better in photos, as is you look like a blank canvas. Might I also recommend tweezing your eyebrows.

The armor looks good! Esp the thigh part.
cutekawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

I was totally gonna pluck the eyebrows, but I forgot. Lol. Go me! It takes a good thirty minutes cause I have really thick brows, but when I'm in a hurry and whatnot.... Yea, totally forgot. I won't in the future.

And as for eyeliner, for me, $6 IS expensive at the moment because I have no job and no money (but I had an interview at Starbucks and I think that it went well~). But yea, my friends are basically like me: None of us wear make-up. XD It's on my pick-up list once I get a new job. ^_^
Unread 08-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
jounink
Holla!

This is what I did for my Fran cosplay, You can try this out, when you have the means to...
I got my eyebrows waxed about 2 days before the con and used an exfoliating facial scrub to make my skin look as good as possible. The only make-up i wore was lip stain, a little black and white eyeliner plus black mascara. Im not a make-up fan either. I normally only use the stuff for cosplay.
jounink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

@ jounink; Yea, I'm the same. How much did the eyebrow wax cost? I know that it varies and whatnot, but just an idea. XD It sounds like a good idea. My skin is bleh. I have olive skin which is unbearably oily and irritating, which makes face make-up such a paaaaain. Lol.