Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Noose

For F-M Crossplayers: Stubble effects

Achieving The Five O'clock Shadow Look
for girls

Now, this is strictly theoretical from my experience, but I recall seeing the process on a Dr. Phil episode many many moons ago. There was a woman who was testing how differently she'd be treated if she was portraying a man, yada yada yada... to get the stubble, she went the extra mile beyond stippled paint.
This could be a very useful tool for crossplayers, but I am recalling the steps purely from memory.

• Buy a soft makeup brush with black bristles. Depending on your character, you can find blond and brown brushes. Red would have to be dyed. (we can mostly assume that rainbow-hair coloured men are Bishies and therefore don't have facial hair)
  • Find a skin-safe clear, malleable glue. Try kryolan or some sort of costume glue.
  • With a metal baking pan over your sink, in the bathroom, take sharp scissors and slowly cut the tips of the fibres of the brush into the pan. Keep the hairs short.
  • Dip some sort of bristle brush into the glue and run it through the pan, gathering stubble, and then brush it onto your face. Spread the hairs so they're not clumped.
  • Repeat the process until your jaw and sideburns are covered. For some characters, even the neck would have stubble.
  • Voila! You've just made yourself look much more manly with your five o'clock shadow. Grats.

Now, this doesn't work with MOST Anime characters, since they're very babyfaced. But for game characters like Snake, Auron, Cid Highwind, ect, its a fantastic way to finish the look. Find your application! =D
Also, male cosplayers who want to look a little more grungy for their cosplays could find a use for this tutorial as well.

Disclaimer: this is not my personal process; I saw it on Dr. Phil preformed by a very ingenious woman. Credit her if you must credit anyone (though I can't remember her name.)
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
flyingdog
Lupin III roleplayer

Yay, it's in its own thread now! ^^
Otakon 2009: Daisuke Jigen- Lupin the 3rd
Anime South 2009: Daisuke Jigen- Lupin the 3rd
flyingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

I don't see why someone would waste a brush when they could just buy crepe wool, which is available in many colours.

I guess it could work if you were in a pinch and didn't need a certain hair colour.

However, crepe wool has more possibilities - you could create a goatee AND stubble, or even a full on beard, or side-burns from just one package (at least the package size I've worked with).

Spirit gum works for the "glue" - and might be what they used, anyway.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Inoli
I Nom Swords

for me Crepe wool doesn't work. just saying that for ME personally I have found a different solution between hair exstention clippings and using a similar idea to the stubble brush. frankly my method of the stubble make up doesn't work so I'll certainly try this the next time I stroll out as Shunsui XD trying to dab it all on by your finger gets rather sticky
thanks for the advice!

[/color] [/size]
Inoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #5
Lucrezea

There are far better ways to achieve this look, and I think believe quite a few of them are posted in this neck of the forums already. Quite frankly, adhering small cut up pieces of a bristled brush to your face sounds rather uncomfortable when crepe wool or real hair is readily available in a multitude of colours.
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Nym Aulth

I'm doing something akin to this process for my France cosplay

I find crepe wool works pretty adequately as long as you don't cut it up too terribly small and as long as you have a *lot* of cut up pieces (not all of them want to stick, in my experience).
If you're getting frustrated with crepe wool, you could try clipping the ends of a wig (if you have one you don't care too much about)-I've had some success with this, but you need to have enough extra length on the wig not to mind.
Also, I recommend going through the 'applying stubble' process before putting your costume on (yes, this is the voice of experience speaking), since the little stubble bits tend to fall on the costume and show up appallingly well on darker fabrics.
Nym Aulth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
Rob T Firefly
Cosmic Hobo

It strikes me that if you're willing to sacrifice a small lock of your own hair, or just save the clippings when you get a normal trim, it might be more comfortable than brush bristles with the added bonus of an instant color match.
Rob T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 02:58 AM   #8
Noose

@OurLadyC: I agree that there are definitely better suited products out there for creating goatees and stubble, Rob T Firefly deftly noted that using your own hair would likely create the most natural stubble effect, for the sake of matching your skin tone.

@Inoli: Hey, no problem. I have no clue how well this does or doesn't work, but it seemed convincing enough on the lady.

@Lucrezea: Oh, it's likely. I've seen people use eyeshadow for stubble, even, and it worked pretty well (from a distance). And since there are so many different kinds of makeup brushes (or bristle-like substances available at craft stores), some might be more malleable and conforming to the skin than others. Really, this is just a suggested procedure.

@Nym Aulth: Oh, right XD Should have included when to apply. Thanks for that!

@Rob T Firefly: Awesome suggestion!
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote