Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-28-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
MmonmanN
Buttscratcher?

Is there any way to dull patent leather?

I bought knee high boots from Cosworx when they had the clearance sale for my Patty Thompson (from Soul Eater) cosplay. They're black patent leather. It rather irks my perfectionism that they're so shiny since Patty's don't look shiny at all, and one of my friends said they look like hooker heels. -_-; Also, my friend is going as Liz and can't find any affordable short patent leather boots to match me. So is there a way to dull them without damaging the material?
MmonmanN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
Majiran
Material Merchant

Slight sandpaper and some (dark) grey-green or grey-blue acrylic rubbed in?

It's how they dulled the Repo Man's outfit.

Oooor rub it with a scrubber sponge that isn't as harsh as sandpaper and do the acrylic? Good thing about acrylic is you can wash it off.
Majiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm not absolutely certain (since I haven't worn patent leather shoes since I was three), but I've heard from a few people that rubbing it with milk will dull it.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
AngieRikku
Disasteriffic!

I believe Patent Leather is PVC, which is a plastic. I had a PVS pipe that was shiney and I wanted it matte so I could paint it. I used laquer thinner and It took the gloss sheen away from the pipe. You could rub a small amount of laquer thinner (so you won't pemanently mess anything up!) on the a piece that does not show and see how that works. ^^;
AngieRikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
LiveB8

if its actual leather as patent leather should be, could always try a spot of kiwi parade gloss boot polish.

those of us who are familiar with parade gloss would know its the basis for a good spit shine (oh how i sent many an hour shining my boots in cadets)

the first step of a spit shine is a small amount of parade glass applied and rubbed into the leather, before glazing over it with a lighter, but before glazing with the lighter the polish is dull and matte beyond belief.

if the boots are leather then this shouldn't effect the boots in any way, and after your con you can always finish the spit shine (gonna take a number of hours to finish btw) to get your boots back to the shine they had before if not better (spit shine done right can have a mirror finish)

and suggested before, always test this on the boots in an area where you wont notice it much, in case it does go wrong. all else fails see if you can find a place where you live that either deals with making leather products or shoes to ask for advice.
LiveB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
jounink
Holla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveB8 View Post
if its actual leather as patent leather should be, could always try a spot of kiwi parade gloss boot polish.

those of us who are familiar with parade gloss would know its the basis for a good spit shine (oh how i sent many an hour shining my boots in cadets)

you forgot to mention how easily kiwi scuffs. Plus if too much is applied, chunks will fall off or fine lines will appear during extended wear. I also don't think its made for P. Leather
jounink is offline   Reply With Quote