Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 02-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
codenamealice

Going to the bathroom in crossplay stories

So, as we all know, it's best to still use the bathroom that matches your biological gender, even when in crossplay. But going into the ladies' room in a beard or the men's room in a dress can earn you some interesting stares or comments...what are some of your guys's best stories about going to the bathroom in crossplay?

I don't have a doozy or anything, but last weekend at Katsucon I was crossplaying as Edward Elric. It was late Friday night and I was looking for the bathroom, and it was one of those weird hallways where the men's and women's rooms are on opposite ends. I walked up and down and finally found the women's room tucked away in a corner with an almost-hidden sign. When I came out a few minutes later, there was a man walking around obviously looking for the bathroom the same way I had been. He saw me leaving the restroom and registered that it must be the men's room with a "thank goodness!" gesture. Needless to say, when he saw the women's room sign and me walking away his eyes went wide and he did a double take. xD

Cosplays for Ota:
Loki (The Avengers)
Something FMA?
codenamealice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

I've never gotten grief for going to the "wrong" bathroom; but there have been a couple of cons where I wasn't staying on site, and couldn't exactly drive over in a hoop skirt. Changing into said skirt in a bathroom stall is... interesting.

Oh, come to think of it I did once enter a bathroom at Katsu in t-shirt and jeans and came out in full maid's uniform. That startled a poor guy at the vanity.

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
belligerent
Viking Metal

I've been screamed at before, followed in by con security, and forcibly stopped by hotel staff.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Never happened to me while in crossplay. But it's happened a few times during everyday life in normal clothes. I went to the bathroom at school and these girls got mad at me and apparently reported me to a teacher. Maybe it's my hair...
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #5
meb9000

Fortunately I haven't had a situation where I had to go to the restroom in crossplay. I have had just 2 days experience so far, so it's a small sample size though. I guess my body just knows how inconvenient it would be to have to go to the men's room so I've been lucky so far.

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney series)

Weiss Schnee (RWBY)

Chitoge Kirisaki (Nisekoi)

Yukino Yukinoshita (Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU)
meb9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

This is why I go back to my room to use the bathroom in crossplay..MUCH less weird..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
AuraLucario7
DB Vocaloid Poke Freak!

I usually don't get a room for cons, I just drive there and back in one day, for local cons. For my first crossplay, I would probably need to change in the bathroom, as I have no room to change in. My other option might be wear said costume under some normal clothes and change in thr car. Which would be better? Not really a story, but possibly a future one XD

Con Alt Delete 2014
Kollision Con 2015
Anime Central 2015
Anime Midwest 2015

Possible 2015 Cosplays

Angel Stocking (Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt)
Xicor (Dragon Ball AF)
Atomic X (Ben 10: Omniverse)
Zs'skayr (Ben 10: Omniverse)
Sweet Devil Hatsune Miku (Project Diva F)

Last edited by AuraLucario7 : 02-20-2014 at 09:45 PM.
AuraLucario7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraLucario7 View Post
I usually don't get a room for cons, I just drive there and back in one day, for local cons. For my first crossplay, I would probably need to change in the bathroom, as I have no room to change in. My other option might be wear said costume under some normal clothes and change in thr car. Which would be better? Not really a story, but possibly a future one XD
Honestly, the bathroom works. Use the handicap stall if needed. I know it's reserved for wheelchair users and the like, but if you have a bag you need to carry your clothes in and all that, it's a little hard changing into a full cosplay in a normal stall..But wearing it UNDER is probably a bad idea because you could get too hot and sweat in it, or you could wrinkle it very easily. And not in the car..People that happen to walk by don't wanna see that.

Honestly, I don't know why girls have such a problem with a crossplayer coming in their bathroom..The only reason EVER that I have heard other than "it's gross" is "Females could feel threatened by a man in their bathroom"....Really? So a female walking in to the bathroom is not capable of pulling a gun on another girl in the bathroom and killing her? Only a MAN is capable of harming a woman in the bathroom? The logic behind it literally makes no sense..A woman is just as much at risk in a public bathroom with another woman as she is with a man..And I won't EVEN get into the Transgender subject of this..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 02-21-2014, 03:12 AM   #9
punkynotemo
Punky

A few years ago I was Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler, and I honestly do not know why I was mistaken for a boy, because really....even in my suit it was a little obvious. But I go into the restroom at the con center and these girls start yelling at me that I'm in the wrong restroom and I need to essentially 'gtfo' as one of them eloquently exclaimed. I just looked at them evenly and said 'I am Earl Ciel Phantomhive, the Queen's Guard Dog...AND I DO WHAT I WANT.' Que dramatic bang flip and slamming of bathroom stall door.

FLAME PRINCESS (ADVENTURE TIME)- 10%
YOYO (JET SET RADIO FUTURE)- 40%
THE WITCH (LEFT 4 DEAD)- 60%
CIEL PHANTOMHIVE (KUROSHITSUJI)- 100%
RINOA HEARTILLY (FINAL FANTASY VIII)- 100%
GRELL SUTCLIFF (KUROSHITSUJI)- 100%

CONFIRMED FOR 2014
Shuto Con
JAFAX
more to come hopefully
punkynotemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
YuPuffin
Claims to be a puffin

At one of the conventions I go to, the karaoke/open mic room is adjacent to the restrooms in a certain hallway. I like to spend a lot of time in the karaoke room at this particular con because it's smaller and more relaxed. On this particular day I was crossplaying as Magnet Gakupo with my buddy Luka, and if the karaoke room had several people in it, so everyone had a small audience. After we sang something, a couple other cosplayers in the room approached us, and they didn't realize I was a girl until I had to use the restroom... they asked Luka, "your Gakupo is a girl?" "Yes." "...Oh."

Upcoming Cosplays
Devit (D.Gray-man) - Halloween 2014 [maybe]
Rosalie (Tactics) - Early 2015

Cosplays I want to do later
Lucidia (Original character), Sakumo (UTAU), Senkro (Spectrobes), Aihi (Kekkaishi), Keiichi Shimizu (La Corda d'Oro)
YuPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #11
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
A woman is just as much at risk in a public bathroom with another woman as she is with a man.
Not really. A man in the women's bathroom probably isn't there because he has to piss. Feel free to speculate about other things he could be doing or intending to do with his dick, though.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
shusinsan
...desu. There.

Going along with belligerent, if he was just going to use the facilities, he could have easily gone into the men's bathroom to do the same thing.

Those women have the right to feel that way, and the "killing others in the bathroom" thing is taking the situation out of context. This is at conventions, not in any general public bathroom.

And since we're avoiding transgender issues here, crossplaying shouldn't give him a pass to go into the women's bathroom. What legitimate reason does he have to be in there?

I'd give a slide for emergencies, but under normal circumstances, no-go.
shusinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #13
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
Not really. A man in the women's bathroom probably isn't there because he has to piss. Feel free to speculate about other things he could be doing or intending to do with his dick, though.
No but that has nothing to do with a man in crossplay..If that man is in full on crossplay, then he would get weird looks going into EITHER bathroom. I'm not talking about just a normal ol everyday guy looking guy who isn't in crossplay..No he can use the men's room. But if the man is in a crossplay, and needs to go to the bathroom, it's less likely to be seen as weird if the person that looks like a girl is not going into the girls room. Not all men going into the girls room are wanting to do anything other than the bathroom.

I also don't like the way you basically categorized men as not wanting to go into the bathroom to pee. I'm male, and in crossplay I sure as hell am not going into the men's room, and if I were to use the other room, it certainly would be to use the bathroom, maybe touch up my costume makeup or something too. But you seem to not believe that so..People that have the same mind set that you JUST posted are the reason girls don't like it. Just because you THINK that, doesn't make it true..

shusinsan, I have a little news for you. CROSSPLAY DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE TRANSGENDER> Those are 2 seperate things. Wearing a female cosplay does not mean that a person is transgender. If you want to think that, go right ahead, but it ALSO does not make it true just because you think it.
If a man that is in a crossplay and passes very well (which I have seen A LOT) and uses the mens bathroom, won't the other men assume that it's a girl? So this guy should get shit for being in BOTH bathrooms now? No. Both of you are the exact reason I go back to the room to use the bathroom if I'm in crossplay..Just because someone is a man that should not mean he is going to do something other than use the bathroom.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)

Last edited by JasonTerror : 02-21-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
If a man that is in a crossplay and passes very well (which I have seen A LOT) and uses the mens bathroom, won't the other men assume that it's a girl?
Generally men don't feel threatened by women and most don't feel threatened by other men. If somebody who looks like a man walks into the women's restroom, there will be problems because it's violating what people think of as a "safe" space. Also women who look like women don't brazenly walk into the men's room, in general. Most faab women accidentally walking into the men's room would realize they were in the wrong place the second they see urinals and turn back around.

And transgender people are a completely different case, so don't pull that shit.

Last edited by belligerent : 02-21-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

In some states, it's illegal to use the wrong restroom, no matter what you're wearing.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote