Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 09-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Starfleet
All of space and time

FtM Newbie Makeup Advice?

So I did a simple closet cosplay of Sherlock before, but now that my friend and I plan on being Erik(her) and Charles(me) from X-Men: First Class, I'd like to do crossplay properly.

Can anyone point me towards some good crossplay makeup tutorials? That's my big concern at the moment (getting a binder & luckily don't have a terribly girly figure), but all other advice is greatly appreciated as well - I'm not even quite sure where to start.

Reference photos, if it helps:
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...6-1280-544.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...61-720-480.jpg

Thank you so much!!

In Progress
Fem!Bucky/Winter Soldier, Charles Xavier (X-Men: First Class)

Conventions
Ohayocon - January 2014
ColossalCon - June 2014
DashCon - July 2014
Starfleet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
builder396
Crossplayer

Personally im far from being a pro about makeup or crossplay, but I would tend to the answer: Dont use make up at all. Most men dont wear ot, so when you crossplay as a man it wouldnt exactly be authentic.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder396 View Post
Personally im far from being a pro about makeup or crossplay, but I would tend to the answer: Dont use make up at all. Most men dont wear ot, so when you crossplay as a man it wouldnt exactly be authentic.
Except women and girls don't always look like men...?

@Starfleet: There are some great FtM makeup tutorials on deviantArt, including this one, and this one. Are you trying to look like James McAvoy, or simply pass as male? I ask the question because both involve knowledge of shading the face to subtly (or not so subtly) change ones features. Making yourself resemble James might prove more difficult than passing as male.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
builder396
Crossplayer

As I said, i am far from being a pro, so obviously you should take my opinions on such stuff with a grain, or rather a ton of salt.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
DeeperBlue
In Over Her Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder396 View Post
Nononono. :P Even James Bond wears makeup. ^^ It's essential when you're trying to pass as the opposite gender, or at the very least to smooth out your skin tone so the camera doesn't completely ruin you. You're going for a natural look for this, so look for FtM contouring tutorials. Ion posted a good one a while back. http://stealthos-aurion.deviantart.c...rial-287208955

Fayt Leingod - Star Ocean:Till the End of Time - 35% finished

Izanagi no Okami - Persona 4 - Planning stages

Next Con: Anime Expo 2015
DeeperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Starfleet
All of space and time

Thank you guys so much, those tutorials look enormously helpful!

@PSY-chan: Ideally I'd like to look like James, but just looking more masculine will be an enormous help. Maybe once I get the basics down I'll figure out how to adapt it for that? Or perhaps someone knows how? At any rate, this is a good starting point, so thank you and @DeeperBlue once again.

In Progress

Conventions
Ohayocon - January 2014
ColossalCon - June 2014
DashCon - July 2014
Unread 09-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Just be careful with makeup tutorials, because in my experience observing fellow cosplayers, less is more. Yes, some makeup helps, but when you go overboard trying to do excessive contouring and layering foundation on top of foundation, you don't look like a man anymore, you look like a heavily made-up girl. Or you just look dirty. Either look is not what you're trying to achieve.

Contouring helps when your features are so feminine that you have to create a practically theatrical illusion, but at that point, unless you're on the stage or just getting photos taken, it will be really obvious. You'll look boyish from 20 feet away, but anyone who comes up to you will have that illusion broken. It's better to find ways to downplay your natural features (if you're too feminine) or play them up (if you have some masculine traits) rather than trying to give yourself a makeup mask.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

Yeah, a lot of times when people are overly contoured, they don't look like dudes at all, just women with weird makeup. The only contouring I really do is just subtly enhancing stuff I already have.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
LiebeSelbstmord
Charming Devil Cosplay

When I first started crossplaying I had the same idea as builder396 about FtM makeup. I figured, "Guys don't wear makeup so I won't either. That should do the trick right?" Ummmm, no, definitely nononononono!!! My first crossplay was Sasuke Uchiha and can I say poor Sasuke-kun? I did not do him justice at all... Now, as a female I don't usually wear that much makeup anyway save for some eyeliner. But apparently my lips are naturally a lot more red than I thought they were so when I got my pictures back from my photoshoot it looked like Sasuke was wearing lipstick... O.O Coulda been the lighting maybe but regardless I researched FtM makeup after that. Like most others have mentioned less is definitely better than caking on foundation and such. Even though men don't wear makeup you got to realize that you're aiming to replicate an anime character who probably doesn't have facial features typically found in real men. Thus one thing I noticed with my Sasuke oops (other than the feminine lips) is that my skin was really blotchy and my eyes looked really washed out. In my opinion the eyes are the most prominent feature in anime characters, both male and female, so you want your eyes to be noticeable instead of just disappearing into your face like mine did. You obviously don't want to look like you're a guy wearing makeup so subtle and natural are best. Now first I'll point out that I'm by no means a professional. What I do with my FtM makeup is simple and I could probably improve it but it works for me and I don't want to spend 4 hours just doing my crossplay makeup. I don't do contouring like some have mentioned in this thread because I personally don't trust myself enough for it to look good. I have found some really good tutorials on it but I still just don't. Kudos to those that pull it off. All I do is apply a foundation all over my face, one that closely matches my natural skin tone if not a little paler (I tend to crossplay really pale dudes lol). Then I seal it by applying a powder over the top. This also makes your face look softer and it won't look super shiny and weird in pictures. For the eyes I apply a dark brown eyeliner all the way around the shape of my eye. Not super thick though. Just enough so it separates your eyes from the rest of your face. Then for the lips (the important part!) I cover them with concealer, wait for it to dry, then cover it with a nude lipstick. I've found in my experience it's very important to do concealer first then lipstick, not the other way around. Doing lipstick first causes it to smear when you apply the concealer over the top. The concealer is to cover up the color of your lips and the lipstick is to make your lips look less...dry...I think. I don't know, I tried doing just concealer once and it looked weird to me so by adding the lipstick to the concealer made it look a whole lot better. Not too sure why... Anywho, I hope this helped somewhat if it made any sense at all hehe... It's helped me and my Sasuke cosplay along with all my other crossplays now look a lot better just by doing something so simple as doing my makeup properly.

Aki Con 2014:
Holo - Spice & Wolf (90%)
Husband = Lawrence - Spice & Wolf (70%)
Sai - Naruto Shippuden (90%)
Husband = Naruto - Naruto Shippuden (80%)
Sasuke Uchiha (casual outfit) - Naruto Shippuden (100%)

Sakura Con 2015:
Possibilities:
Sai - Naruto Shippuden (90%)
Sasuke Uchiha - Naruto Shippuden (100%)
Rosette - Chrono Crusade (0%)
Kouga - Inuyasha (30%)
Jinx - League of Legends (10%)
LiebeSelbstmord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
AgentTexas
ALL DA' WIGS

Liquid eyeliner, contouring, um...no mascara or blush because generally those will make you look more feminine. The biggest thing is your eyebrows though, depending on the character you might need to thicken or thin your brows. But either way, guy's brows tend to go in further between their eyes, I've found just doing that helps enormously as strange as that sounds.

Use a nude lip stick too, guys don't have red or pink lips, just kinda tone down the color or go for a completely nude look, depends on your preference(although guy's lips aren't nude lol). Oh, and don't use eye shadows that have shimmer to them. I think that's the main points?

Facebook - Tumblr

-Cons 2015

Ohayocon
Shumatsucon
Colossalcon
Matsuricon
(maybe)Katsucon

-Cosplays

Hanji Zoe - Attack On Titan, 80% (need wig)
School Girl Rukia Kuchiki - Bleach, 0% (not yet started)
Armin Arlert - Attack On Titan, 100%
Levi Ackerman - Attack On Titan, 100%
Eren Jaeger - Attack On Titan, 70% (making shirt)
Taiga Aisaka - Toradora!, 15%(planning)
Ciel Phantomhive - Black Butler, 10%(planning even more)
Nagisa Hazuki - 10% (planning for Colossalcon)
AgentTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
Starfleet
All of space and time

@LiebeSelbstmord: Well, Charles isn't an anime character, so I would be aiming for more realistic male features on him. But thanks for the tips on the nude lipstick and concealer, I'll have to give that a shot.

@AgentTexas: Sounds like this is one time where my manly eyebrows will come in handy lol.

In Progress

Conventions
Ohayocon - January 2014
ColossalCon - June 2014
DashCon - July 2014