Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 09-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
PrehistoricHunt
Bows and Arrows

Question Liquid Latex for Cosplay?

I want to try and recreate Meliodas in his demon form (from the show), but he's shirtless and I can't figure out how to bind successfully since the tattoos are on part of his chest too. I'm new to liquid latex, so is there a way to use that to create a "fake" chest? And how so? Thanks
PrehistoricHunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Killerangel666
You have Cheetohs?

Can you post a picture of the character? It would help to figure out how much build up has to be done and if liquid latex is the best material. Latex does pretty much stick to everything, though.
Killerangel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

If you can't tape-bind to leave the center of your chest open for makeup, then no, you're not looking at liquid latex. It would take too much and cost too much and it might not come out of your binder.

I don't know the character either, so I would want to see a picture of exactly what you're trying to do, but chest tattoos are something I am familiar with. If I have the time, energy, and desire to tape-bind, then I use regular makeup (alcohol-activated tattoo makeup) to apply any details I want to my chest, neck, or abs. But if I'm too lazy to tape-bind, OR we're talking fully naked chest and back where any sort of binder would be visible, I go for a skin-tight shirt made of fleshtone power mesh, which has the tattoos painted on permanently. It is sooooo much faster and less of a pain in the ass than applying makeup, the only downside is if you can't find power mesh in your skintone.

Now, I will say this: tattoo shirts don't have the illusion that a full prosthetic appliance does, but for everyday basic cosplay - comfort in the hallways, all-day wearing - going through the expense of casting and building a silicone prosthetic chest and abs is not worth it. It costs a shitload, it's very hard to do, and if you don't do it right you end up with a chunk of latex or silicone that looks awful. I would only recommend looking into casting prosthetics to fit your body IF you're planning to compete or want to take your skills to the next level. I may do it someday, I can't afford it right now, so I stick to characters who aren't completely topless.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2016, 01:43 AM   #4
PrehistoricHunt
Bows and Arrows

True, I forgot to add a photo. I'm working on a regular Meliodas cosplay (clothed) for conventions. I'm only trying to make this cosplay for a photoshoot, ALTHOUGH, if I can find an easy way to recreate this look, then sure, I'd wear it to a convention. I just wanted it to look pretty authentic (I'm fine with my whole body 'cause I be painting some abs on my stomach and everything), BUT the boobs do kind of kill the photo and wearing a shirt/binder/leotard and whatnot wouldn't look good (in my opinion). Someone showed me this tutorial where you open chest bind with skin colored tape and then use photoshop to make it look like a male chest, but his tattoos cross over into almost half his chest and I'm not good enough in photoshop to make that work. I even looked at stockings, but I have no idea how to even begin to make it look believable. I figured I could open chest bind and then use liquid latex to cover up the tape and whatnot, but I've never used it, so I'm probably gonna try something that won't even work, lol.

Here's a link since I don't know how else to add the photo:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/524810162804929454/
Unread 09-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Aha. So fully naked chest.

Nope, you're SOL. Either you cover the binding with a shirt with the tattoos painted on it, and just deal, or go through the expense and long learning process of making a prosthetic silicone chest which you would have to blend with makeup into your own skin.

If you try to cover tape with latex, at best it won't stick and will just peel right off. At worst you'll have lumpy bulges over the tape and you'll look like you have massive back and chest scars. If you want to try it, buy only a small vial of latex, put the tape on a part of your arm that flexes and moves as much as your torso does, and see what happens after an hour of normal moving around (doing something active, not sitting on the computer, because even if it's a photoshoot you'll be walking around and posing - you don't want a pose to flex all your latex right off you in one pop). If it happens to work, calculate how much latex you would need to cover the entirety of the tape and see if that's something you really want to do.

I feel you on really wanting an authentic-looking chest, but we have limitations. But considering there are cosplayers who photoshop their own heads onto men's bodies just so people will admire and favorite their photos, we live in a crazy world of bullshit either way. If it's just for a photoshoot, what I suggest is tape-binding and then choosing poses that give the illusion that you're shirtless but still hide the tape. You can tint the tape with foundation makeup that matches your skintone (waaaaay cheaper than latex) but that's mainly to keep even little tiny peeks of white from showing in photos. Granted, you won't be able to pose like the shot of him just standing there with his arms at his sides and hey look at that chest, but you can still get across the idea of the character with unique, interesting poses - and that way you might only need to photoshop any obvious shadow lines from tape and not the entirety of a manly pectoral. I've done full video shoots where all I had was a little tape over a nip and you can't tell because of how I'm posed and where the camera is shooting.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
PrehistoricHunt
Bows and Arrows

Well, I was going to do a shot from the back that way you won't even have to see my chest (or my face for that matter), but I thought doing a front shot would be nice too. And I agree with the chest making - there's no way I have enough time/money/talent to make one. I was just hoping there was a way to smooth out the tape and just make it "look" authentic. Guess that was going to be harder than I thought, lol. I'll stick to my backside shot, but I'll play around with the latex/tape idea and painting the tape idea. Since the tattoos are almost entirely black, I might just get away with it. Thanks
Unread 10-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #7
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

A little late to this thread, but depending on your physical build, you may be able to get some inspiration from the techniques employed by Florida-based drag king Spikey van Dykey: essentially, you build a "binder" out of black athletic tape (not just electrical tape, something that will stick to skin), then apply it in such a manner that it pulls your breasts apart and to the sides, under your armpits. Then makeup and contour to resculpt, and give an appearance of pectoral muscles and abs. If you're feeling particularly ambitious, prosthetic nipples for an even more believable look.

He's been doing this for many years and has the technique pretty well perfected, but it's a great illusion, very believable, and stays intact during very athletic performances.

if won't work for every body type, especially if you have a very large cup size, or are.. how do I put it? very firm.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/3/2937/1...bc82a198_c.jpgBBB_Cabaret_20140426_21278.jpg by Nathan Carter, on Flickr

https://c4.staticflickr.com/2/1624/2...c2552cf1_c.jpgCuriouser_20160423_0936.jpg by Nathan Carter, on Flickr

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote