Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 09-17-2006, 09:42 PM   #46
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

There is also the term "gender-fluid" or "gender-queer" for those who don't really identify with either gender. Not transexual because they don't want to change their gender into the one opposite of what they were born with, but just somewhere in the middle, not identifying with either. I like it, but I'm not sure what the difference would be between gender fluid and androgynous. Unless the latter term has become archaic or is not one used among social scientists.

...those pesky scientists, you know.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2006, 03:36 AM   #47
Lisu-chan
Resident weirdo

I CAN feel attracted to both genders, and more, so you could say I'm pan-sexual... except you can scrap the sexual part... I don't like anything that has to go with sex, not when I'm involved with it, not now, not ever. That's a strange and harsh combo! I meant BTW attracted by, I want to be with someone, hug them at most, but NOTHING more... Yeah I'm weird... maybe ONE day I'll turn good..

Anyway I crossplay because I love the characters so much, and why stop because he's a he... We've got tape for that!
Lisu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #48
TrombonePrincess
TrombonePrincess

Thanks!

Yeah there are so many different terms for everything now, it can get confusing, lol. Thanks for your replies! Yeah I like being friends with everybody and I am a girly-girl, really, but I don't mind crossplaying because I like the characters. I just have a hard time when people start hitting on me and they can't take a hint. If I'm attracted to someone back, I let them know right away. ^_^;;

Hooray for tape!! ^_~

Come see my page! I want to add lots of cosplayer friends!
TrombonePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #49
CAI543

thanks for clearing this up.Now I know the difference.>//<

☆╮♂ ♀ take shadow catch wind ♂ ♀╭☆
CAI543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #50
Eda
*::Rabby On Da Moon::*

Hm... I'm still a little bit confuse about "Crossdressing". But I think I'm nearly understand it.

Most of cosplayers in Thailand are Crossplayer (girl cosplay as male character is more than guy's) and I have know many guys who crossplay like Maid or Lolita. I never think that they are gay or have a metal illness. They cosplay because they like the way that characters look (My friend who is a guy said that he loves Lolicon so he likes to cosplay with cute costume).
Eda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #51
Persephone Kend
From Hidden Kingdom

Well, I saw that about "crossplay" and I checked it out, the very first post explaining this has the enough information and I understood.
Actually I'm thinking about doing a "crossplay" because the costume will be of a male character.

Last edited by Persephone Kend : 12-24-2006 at 12:49 PM. Reason: changing understand for understood
Persephone Kend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #52
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
I like it, but I'm not sure what the difference would be between gender fluid and androgynous. Unless the latter term has become archaic or is not one used among social scientists.

...those pesky scientists, you know.
I believe (don't quote me on this) that being androgynous has more to do with how you look physically, and being gender-fluid is more of a mental thing (but can become physical).
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #53
Aquarian

Is their a name for a person who cosplays an alternate version of a character? For example, if a female cosplays as female version of a male character? Everything seems to have nicknames nowadays so this must have one as well.
Aquarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #54
Caytin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian View Post
Is their a name for a person who cosplays an alternate version of a character? For example, if a female cosplays as female version of a male character? Everything seems to have nicknames nowadays so this must have one as well.

I don't think an "official" name has come up for that yet. I have only seen one cosplayer that has done what you are talking about... Can't think of her name off the top of my head. She goes to the Texas cons, and did a Lolita-style female Gir, and a female Ichigo (sp?) from Bleach. If you can find out who she is, maybe she has a name for it. Personally its just customizing to me. Hehe.
Caytin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #55
Caytin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Miko View Post
I believe (don't quote me on this) that being androgynous has more to do with how you look physically, and being gender-fluid is more of a mental thing (but can become physical).
You're right about androgynous. Being androgynous means you can look male or female without trying. Sadly, I'm in that cateogory. If I'm wearing jeans and a baggy t-shirt, I get called male. If I'm wearing form fitting clothing or a dress, I'm female. Gender-fluid... that's a term I haven't heard before, so I can't really comment on that one.
Caytin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #56
N.O.I

Yo everyone! I was flipping through the forums and saw this headline, and I felt like I ought to give my suggestion: Crossplaying is uber fun. I suppose you could take the given definition listed at the top, but sometimes its just fun to say that you're dressing up as a guy, who dresses up as a girl. Ha, ha, funny innit? Anyways, my best advice to people new to this who either have or have multiple, and or haven't chosen a particular character is that when you're crossplaying, its a fairly good idea to go with a character that your body type works best with. And comfortability since many male characters have open fronts. Anyways, best of luck to you future and present crossplaying people! Confusion is the name of this game, and damn but it is so much fun!
Unread 04-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #57
fortral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juci View Post
well I crossplayed a Transformer in which rumors had it that he is gay or a female in disguised. :shock: So that makes me a mix of things doesn't it.
Itís important to be sure, isnít it? LOL
Unread 06-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #58
Asami_AKA_Ants
It's a MAN, baby.

Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but I thought I should point out:

It's Heterosexual.

Again, sorry if I come off as rude, but the rest of it was perfect so I figured it should be corrected.
Asami_AKA_Ants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:43 AM   #59
moonfall

The most common term I've seen (at least around here) for female versions of male characters is "femme (character name)". I've seen costumes like femme Kakashi or femme Mario and Luigi (in overall ballgowns).

I'm actually not sure about the use of your guy-as-Utena example. Utena wears a boy's uniform, so if a guy dresses as Utena, it's still crossplay, but would it really be crossdressing?

Is it still considered crossplay if a female cosplays a bishounen character who could pass for female?
Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshitsuji, butler outfit)
Rose Bride Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena, need new wig)
Twilight Sparkle's Gala Dress (My Little Pony: FiM)
moonfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2007, 05:20 AM   #60
Kamineko_ii
"Everything's In Place!"

Hmm, I was wondering if there was a word for that. *writes down*

What's the inverse of it? :P

What would you call a male interpretation of Paine, for example?
Kamineko_ii is offline   Reply With Quote