Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 11-21-2007, 06:14 AM   #61
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

A "male Paine", generally. Male is a short, handy word. I've also seen Man- used, as in Man-Faye and Man-Fran.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2007, 12:49 AM   #62
colin_shinigami

i don't think iwould ever crossplay, but mana is a possibility(not the girly lolita mana though)
colin_shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #63
shadowfox3113
~Naru~

Thanks! I really love some male characters and wanted to crossplay them but I was afraid others might think I was a lesbian or something (no offense to anyone out there)
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #64
iaShakezula

I always crossplay because my favorite anime , VG and manga characters are all guys.
Like Col Mustang,Gintoki,Ukitake Taicho,Suoji of Shinsengumi,Iruka Sensei,Sephiroth,Kanda,Zero of VK,Inuyasha,Gwendal,...So when I cosplay for these characters I basically act out their silly side or their bad a** side which is a lot of fun...I get Glomped at lot .Fooling someone to think I am a guy is challenge to me.I dont care what people thinks, who cares as long I am having fun.....And I am 100 % straight besides the guys outfit is a lot comfortable to wear.

It is also a lot of fun seeing guys dressed as Sailor Moon or a feminine looking male character as long as they look good.
PMX

I will be cosplaying all Sports Genre anime this time around.

Kuroko no Basket game shorts
Ace of Diamond Seido Team shirt
Haikyuu game uniform and team warmer
Baby Steps Ei- chans tournament shirt

Last edited by iaShakezula : 01-02-2008 at 08:46 PM.
iaShakezula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #65
Wren
Please...try harder.

Hmm, it just me or do more women crossplay then men? Is it because they like make characters better? Or do they feel limited by the type of female characters out there? Or is it more appropriate from women to cosplay as the more gender neutral male characters out there?

Thoughts?

2013 Cosplay Plans(Tentative)
[Marvel vs Capcom 3/Resident Evil 5] Wesker
[DC Comics] Kyle Rainer - Green Lantern
[Marvel Comics] Dr. Strange
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #66
Maylani984
Jump on beds! Kya!

Male characters aren't gender neutral, but there's less stigma attached to females crossplaying as opposed to males. I also think females have an easier time relating enough to want to cosplay characters no matter the gender. While males are more likely to get hung up on the gender, and what it might 'appear' as, to portray a female.

1. Female Rock Lee: Naruto (70%)
2. ANBU: Naruto (50%)
3. Haruhi Fujioka: Ouran HS Host Club (0%)
4. Lelouch Lamperouge: Code Geass (0%)
Maylani984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #67
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
Hmm, it just me or do more women crossplay then men? Is it because they like make characters better? Or do they feel limited by the type of female characters out there? Or is it more appropriate from women to cosplay as the more gender neutral male characters out there?

Thoughts?
For me, it's because many - not all, but many - female characters tend to get limited to the "squealy schoogirl" type - you know, the ones that faint after a smack to the face and always twist their ankle at the worst time. The guys tend to be a bit... cooler. Which is of course a shame, but that's the way I feel.

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Schuldig_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #68
MicWits

My mom asked me "Why not cosplay girls?". I cosplay Naruto because I like the character. Mostly every Halloween, I dressed up in men costumes. I don't really wear skirts and dresses
Unread 07-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #69
SirMiYavI21
Believe It!

dont know if I can crossplay I would have to have like alot of girls help me coz I cant even put on my own eye liner with out tearing up to much and then given up

CONs we are going to try to make it to!

Anime Evolution 2008, Kumoricon 2008,
Aki Con 2008 and ORYCON 2008
SirMiYavI21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #70
Iridescent_Fall

Quote:

Thoughts?
For me, most of my planned cosplays have been male or will be. Part of the reason is that a large majority of female characters in anime are not dressed modestly. I'm sorry, but when I go out in public, I don't want my breasts hanging out while I'm wearing the shortest of shorts (see Yoko from Gurren Lagann). I just don't want that kind of attention.
Also, for some reason I just relate better with male characters. But of course there are exceptions, like Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club and Medusa from Soul Eater.

Cosplay progress:
Zekrom Gijinka [100%]
Amaimon [100%] + Behemoth [20%]
Amaimon Yukata version [100%]
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) [5%]
Iridescent_Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #71
StrongJaeger

Quote:

Thoughts?
It's because of the social stigma that men are men. Women's rights have come a long way, but men are still expected to be men. I'm sure if there are any on here they will disagree with me, but lesbians are far more socially accepted than gay men. I've seen this personally in my life a lot. Not blaming lesbians, it's the rest of society that has the double standard.

I know plenty of gay men who would love to crossplay, but are afraid of "being outed" or persecution. Like wise I know several female crossplayers who have never given a second thought to how people would react. So thats just my thoughts on it.
StrongJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #72
RadRage
Registered Crazy

If I "crossplayed" as Pegasus...is that really crossplaying if he looks like a girl anyway? o.o
RadRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #73
Sisshi
Sexy Leg Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOut View Post
If I "crossplayed" as Pegasus...is that really crossplaying if he looks like a girl anyway? o.o
If it's the gender opposite of yours, then yes, it's crossplay, no matter how femmy he may look.
Animarathon: White Mage (Final Fantasy)
GarasuNoShiCon: Aranea (Homestuck)

My binding results with the Underworks compression shirt, Check it out ^^
Sisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #74
Nekovamp13
Crossplayer @ birth

Quote:

Thoughts?
I think it's because when people see girls in pants and a loose top, they just think that they want to wear loose clothing, and no one can tell if they might be lesbians or not. But when seeing a guy in a tight, girlish top and possiblly a skirt, then people will say that they are gay, even if they're not.

Plus males do have a harder time looking like girls. It is possiblly more expensive and painful (and not talking about surgery...). Do I know this for a fact, no. And also the fact that men are subposed to be stronge and stuff, and when they show a female feature (crying, looking like a girl, etc.) they are thought to be weak and possiblly gay.

It will take society a while before they can accept the fact that sometimes it's fun to act like the oppisite sex, and dress up like your fav character. It can even give an insite to what the other sex goes through.
Nekovamp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #75
Ranma 1-2

Q. What is meant by the term 'trap', and who does it apply to?

I have scanned through this thread and so far the word does not seem to have come up. I think it is a crossplay related word which needs some defining.

I don't understand this term, but it sounds bad.. especially when I see people at Expo's pointing fingers and chanting "Trap,Trap,Trap,Trap," at a guy who is crossplaying. I mean, how humiliating (and intimidating) must that feel !

Does trap apply simply to any M2F crossplay - and if so why are just the guys picked on? If the crossplay is convincing isn't that a good thing? ..I mean, everyone moans about a certain 'Faye' crossplayer because he doesn't try to be convincing at all..

So whats the answer??
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote