Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 10-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #76
Crimson_art
Squirrel Master

Comment & Terms

Hoorah for clearing that up, I now know I was A crossplayer when I dressed as a male who was dressed as a female. I got really scrambled up in the explanation while telling friends about the costume. x.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani View Post
The way I look at it:
- There is your anatomy (man, woman)
- There is who you feel you are (male, female)
- There is who you want to be with in a relashionship (gay straight, bi...)
- There is how you want to look (masculine, femenine, androgynous...)
And regardless of what society expects those four things are NOT necesarily related to one another.
Seeyou Dani
[Yes i know it's off topic....but It has to be said!]
Actually to be more scientifically correct there is:
-Sex: Which your genes choose for you. Primarily there is XX & XY. But some people have an extra chromosome so they may be XXY or XYX, which to the best of my knowledge can create people with both reproductive organs.

-Gender: Which sex you most associate yourself with. In the US we mainly have 2 genders: Male & Female. But there are people who are 'genderless' and in other contries & in the past there are also 3rd & 4th genders... such as males who's genitalia have been removed so as they may work as a servant of god or males who were used in the past as 'trainer wives' for men at war so that they may have sex and prepare for a female wife.

-Sexuality: The type of person that you are sexually attracted to. There is:
*Heterosexual (which as others have said ISN'T dependant on the persons Sex but their gender) being sexually attracted to
*Homosexual (again, dependant upon the persons gender identity) Being attracted to someone of the same gender.
* Asexual feeling no sexual attraction to others (poorly worded)
Bisexual: Being attracted to both males and females
And many others: such as straight men who enjoy having sex with other men but are not sexually attracted to men. People who don't care what your sexual orientation or gender identity they are attracted to you for you. ETC and so on.
Crimson_art is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #77
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
Q. What is meant by the term 'trap', and who does it apply to?
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere here. In my observation, the term is used most commonly to refer to a MtF cosplayer who passes well enough to be mistaken for an attractive female. As for the term "trap" itself, its origin seems to be Admiral Ackbar's exclamation, "It's a trap!" during the rebel attack on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. In some circles, being referred to as a trap is something of a compliment.

Over the few years, the use of the term seems to have become a more general term referring to MtF cosplayers regardless of how well they pass as long as the attempt is made. Of course this is just my personal observation.
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #78
Ranma 1-2

Ah, thanks for your explanation Shonen Jidai. Yeah I think I'm more relaxed about this now. ^^)
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #79
Soulkokoro
Otaku Baka o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonen_jidai View Post
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere here. In my observation, the term is used most commonly to refer to a MtF cosplayer who passes well enough to be mistaken for an attractive female. As for the term "trap" itself, its origin seems to be Admiral Ackbar's exclamation, "It's a trap!" during the rebel attack on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. In some circles, being referred to as a trap is something of a compliment.

Over the few years, the use of the term seems to have become a more general term referring to MtF cosplayers regardless of how well they pass as long as the attempt is made. Of course this is just my personal observation.
There isn't just something called a "Trap" there is also something called a "Reverse Trap"

A trap is a male character that crossdresses (sp?). Ex: Jun from Happiness!
A reverse trap is a female character that crossdresses. Ex: Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club
Anime Detour 2009 - Vincent Valentine
Anime Detour 2010 - Vincent Valentine
Anime Detour 2011 - Sephiroth

Future Cosplays
Anime Detour 2012 - I'm going to crossplay some girl with long red hair. Ideas are Asuka (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Orihime (Bleach), and Cammy Meele (Ace Attorney). Any other suggestions can be PMed to me if you feel like bothering
Soulkokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #80
Jessie.
Yuna

I know this isnt related, but theres this guy on youtube called ProudToBeBornAsAsain and hes really recists towards cosplayers that are NON asain. Hes been on this site and hes has taken what you all posted here and twisted it around to make it sound like we are bad. Go watch his videos. You may be heartbroken about what hes saying about Non Asians. He believes that you have to LOOK like the character to be a good cosplayer. He claims to be from China which he isnt. Sorry but Im just informing everyone on here about him trying to stop us from cosplay. Watch his videos.
Jessie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #81
Honey Vanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
I don't understand this term, but it sounds bad.. especially when I see people at Expo's pointing fingers and chanting "Trap,Trap,Trap,Trap," at a guy who is crossplaying. I mean, how humiliating (and intimidating) must that feel !
That's seriously happened? I've hung around with a crossplayer that calls himself "Bunny boy" and have never heard of something so humiliating ><.
Honey Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #82
Ranma 1-2

I saw it on a vid clip from an Expo somewhere. Maybe it was just his friends having a laugh by outing him... Having been to a few Expo's myself now, I must say I haven't come across anything like this. In fact the cosplayers I meet are all very nice people.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #83
kokoroVOICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
Hmm, it just me or do more women crossplay then men? Is it because they like make characters better? Or do they feel limited by the type of female characters out there? Or is it more appropriate from women to cosplay as the more gender neutral male characters out there?

Thoughts?

Well, given that many women (younger aged girls in particular) are tomboyish or don't like to wear dresses as much, it doesn't really seem surprising to me. A lot of my anime-obsessed friends don't like wearing dresses (as they are cumbersome to move around in ^^) and, as Iridescent_Fall pointed out, some female costumes are just... inappropriate (damn those pervy animators!). For me, I want to crossplay because its cool and I like the characters sooo much <3

not that normal cosplay isn't cool too
kokoroVOICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #84
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

oh cool I wish I had seen this topic before. It gives great insight to the whole "crossplay" deal. Me personally I have nothing against it but I know my parents and family definitely aren't "for it" so to say. They're on my case so bad that they think I look like a guy if I'm not even cosplaying D: My parents are also really religious so they assume that if you "crossplay" that your probably gay or wanting a sex change o_O because I don't do double standards the last thing I assume of crossplayers weather they'd be a guy or a girl is them being gay because I know that I'm not gay and its not even about that most 'a the time.
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #85
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujyoshi View Post
My parents are also really religious so they assume that if you "crossplay" that your probably gay or wanting a sex change o_O
Your parents would be wrong on both counts for me too. It's why people should not make such assumptions.. ^_^
Cosplay is more like performance imo. People are 'playing' at being a character. End of the con the makeup, wig, costume, all comes off and we go home. We don't live like this. Well some do because there are cosplayers who happen to be transgendered (strictly speaking they are not really crossplaying). But you can't know a person unless you know the person.
Cross-dressing performance has been part of theatrical tradition for years - Peter Pan is still usually played by a girl, and Cinderella's ugly sisters are played by men. But it's nice that crossplay allows guys to try out the pretty female characters too. ^^
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #86
baby_blue_789
Mireya Milan

wow! now i totally know what to call myself!! LOL! i actually do it for alot of reasons one cuz i love the character and i just want to cosplay! and the second is i find it funny/ in a weird way challenging pulling it off! =)
baby_blue_789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #87
Ace_of_Tarot
Card Mage

Hmmm, I have another reason to crossplay for girls; You don't like wearing skirts or uncomfortable cutsie outfits. Guys' outfits tend to be much more comfortable than a mini skirt-just take manga/anime style gym uniforms for example, the guys get shorts while girls have things that are basically blue underwear.
Husky~+Anima~2010
Nekozawa~OHSHC~2011
(Dancing) Sebastian Michaelis~Kuroshitsuji~2011
Ace_of_Tarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #88
standing

Thank you for your share

Thank you for your share.
standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #89
Neine
The Lazy Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisu-chan View Post
I CAN feel attracted to both genders, and more, so you could say I'm pan-sexual... except you can scrap the sexual part... I don't like anything that has to go with sex, not when I'm involved with it, not now, not ever. That's a strange and harsh combo! I meant BTW attracted by, I want to be with someone, hug them at most, but NOTHING more... Yeah I'm weird... maybe ONE day I'll turn good..

Anyway I crossplay because I love the characters so much, and why stop because he's a he... We've got tape for that!
Yeah, don't worry so much 'bout that. I'm inthe same boat there. And I'm sure as h**l not changing.
Neine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #90
Kktodd

Thanks!!!
Kktodd is offline   Reply With Quote