Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #31
Cherazor
I is a gud righter

Well, I don't think my worst experience was quite that bad as some of those here, but...

I wanted to buy a new wig for my Chip cosplay and found one on ebay that I liked. I was a bit wary about the seller, but the reviews were good, so I thought I might take a shot at it. I bought the wig, it came...and I was so disappointed. The wig looked nothing like the one in the description. The bangs were supposed to be quite long, but they were really short and looked as if someone had gone loose with a pair of garden shears on them. Even worse, the back was so thin I could see the back of my wig head when I placed it on it.

Fortunately for me, I was able to contact the seller and got a full refund.
Cherazor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #32
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

My worst wig experiences usually come after I get home from a con, open up our wig box, and then see my pride and joy SMOOSHED like nobody's business. x___x

ALWAYS SECURE YOUR WIGHEADS DOWN, though sometimes even that doesn't help if you have a lot of wigheads in one container. It may take up more space, but sometimes it may be better to put your fragile wigs in their own seperate containers, just to make sure nothing else bumps against them and crushes all your hard work!

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #33
Ka.GAMI
loves you~

Ahahah. My first wig- Ino Yamanaka from Naruto.

I was invited to be a part of a skit that Team 7 was putting on at KumoriCon 06. I made my Ino cosplay within the two nights before and it turned out alright. In fact, I was rather proud for it being the first costume I didn't buy parts from at Goodwill. xD I even did the wrappings all around my body! But then I also decided I'd buy a long blonde wig! It didn't come with a wig bag, which was terrible. I bought it from a really bad wig store(I didn't know it was bad at the time of course!) and they just stuck it in a plastic bag and sent me on my way.

So, you can assume what happened to my ass-long wig after I put it in a high pony-tail(somehow, it didn't tangle much in the bag! I was able to brush it out within 10 minutes!). But this- this was beyond terrible. I called my friends, telling them I was cutting the length off of my wig so I'd be short haired Ino. They were sad, as was I. Then, about a week after I finished the 'wig' and the con had ended, I found Cosplay.com! Now, you could imagine my disappointment when I learned Oil Sheen would have saved my Ino wig. But I was able to make the ponytail look less terrible and I got the bangs looking alright!

That became my new practice wig. ._.

Currently: grnjkan
Next con:

PAX 2012
Rhyme Bito -TWEWY
Probably some version of Ramona
Probably some version of Amy Pond

Ka.GAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #34
xhelios.moonx
♥ .C.o.s.p.l.a.y. &

My worst wig experience was the long hair like IVY wigs.
So hard to get them in a ponytail, escpecially trying to get the wig head to stay on the table.
I know there are those thigs you cana ttach to the table to hold the wighead, but thier too expensive for me to buy.
So i use duck table and tape the wighead to my desk and work, or use my lap XDD

However trying to do a styling and the frickin thing tangles! So i chopped it off and made it into a Yuki Eiri wig and passed it to a friend who ADORED Eiri Yuki, next time i have an IVY wig im going to have de-tangler spray! D: i was so upset that i chopped a lovely long wig.
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #35
LKD
Is a princess!!

I remember once I was driving around looking for a wig for a friend for the day after (damn procrastinator he was) and I ended up buying one for 80 dollars (he paid me after fortunately) and on the way home a stupid driver stopped when turning left and I among other cars ended up getting flashed by the cameras on that intersection and ended up with a ticket -.-
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #36
Nooby Banana
I made a llama. 8)

My worst wig experience happened when I had to fly back to Florida for college. I needed to transport a wig there, but I had no wig head or wig box. So I decided to be uber-ghetto and just lay it gently in the suitcase with nothing on top of it. There was only one side that had spikes, so I figured it'd be ok as long at the spikes were facing up.

So I get to Florida and open my suitcase... to find that my mom had buried my poor wig in a mound of clothes. ;_; The poor thing was smooshed beyond rescue and needed complete restyling. In the end, though, it might have been for the best. I actually like the styling better now. xD
Nooby Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #37
EATnRunBandit

I made the horrible horrible mistake of buying a white wig from a Halloween store (since there was no credit card available to me to buy a wig online).
It was obviously not the hair style I desired like the character I was going to cosplay so my friend and I cut it and layered it. It turned out really bad and let's say, BALD. The wig was so thin from the beginning that any bystander could see right through it. (Luckily, in photography, flash comes quite in handy)
Not to mention the quality was horrible and the wig frayed all over the place.
In my cosplay pictures, the only pictures that are up are the front shots. Any back shots would be a nightmare.
Unread 09-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #38
harlequinrush
Time Traveller

oh god... i have such horrible memories D:

it was my group's first time buying wigs, because for the previous two years we'd just decided to go without them. (also a bad decision, because it ruined the costumes by not having them)
us being unexperienced with wigs, we had multiple issues, but the worst was the Millia Rage wig, which was a butt-length beautiful silky blonde amanda wig from cosworx before... the incident. about ten seconds after removing it from shipping package, an ex-member of our cosplay group (aka the girl with complete and utter disregard for everything cosplay related because she's just in it because her "friends" are doing it, and complains the entire con about how we made her go) decides to throw the wig on to see what she would look like with long blonde hair, dance around for a while and then throw it on the bed because she lost interest as the rest of us looked on in horror. needless to say, the wig never recovered from the tangles. we tried brushing it out without any conditioner, and no wig stand to put it on with a fine-toothed comb (ah, unexperiencedness), and it turned into a frizzy, broken mess on the parts that got detangled before we gave up... i still think the worst part was that the wig wasn't even for her costume, though, so poor Millia was stuck with it because there wasnt time to order a new one.
Unread 09-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #39
SapphireChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequinrush View Post
oh god... i have such horrible memories D:

it was my group's first time buying wigs, because for the previous two years we'd just decided to go without them. (also a bad decision, because it ruined the costumes by not having them)
us being unexperienced with wigs, we had multiple issues, but the worst was the Millia Rage wig, which was a butt-length beautiful silky blonde amanda wig from cosworx before... the incident. about ten seconds after removing it from shipping package, an ex-member of our cosplay group (aka the girl with complete and utter disregard for everything cosplay related because she's just in it because her "friends" are doing it, and complains the entire con about how we made her go) decides to throw the wig on to see what she would look like with long blonde hair, dance around for a while and then throw it on the bed because she lost interest as the rest of us looked on in horror. needless to say, the wig never recovered from the tangles. we tried brushing it out without any conditioner, and no wig stand to put it on with a fine-toothed comb (ah, unexperiencedness), and it turned into a frizzy, broken mess on the parts that got detangled before we gave up... i still think the worst part was that the wig wasn't even for her costume, though, so poor Millia was stuck with it because there wasnt time to order a new one.
Oh wow that's terrible! I'd probably beat up my friend if they did that...
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - 0%
[?] Jun (Avatar the Last Airbender) - 0%
SapphireChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #40
KyleMistry

Zombie thread, zombie thread.

Right now the worst wig experience I'm having is my first one, right now. But that's probably because I bought a horrible, horrible wig for my Zack Fair getup off of an eBay seller that seemed reputable. Seemed. The thing is decent quality, but I have no clue what the seller did to it...the front third seems to be half-melted and now looks like it's made of chunky plastic, and while the rest of the wig looks fine from the tips and up, hitting the roots of the fibers it's all puffy, tangled, and just a mess. No saving this thing, but I suppose I can at least cut it up and make some decent extensions/other bits out of it.

Fortunately I've still got 'til April until Sakuracon, so I'll probably be buying a new wig in February and trying my hand at styling that. Worse come to worst, I'll just not get a haircut and style my own hair for the job.
KyleMistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #41
Celebrindae

My worst wig experience was one I watched.

For some reason, we had waited until the absolute last minute to get our Jiraya's costume together. My friend was had to order really sketchy wigs so that they would come in on time, and when they got here...ugh. The two wigs - which had seemed the same hue in pictures- were entirely different shades of white: one stark white like snow, and the other a little creamy, as white wigs usually are. The fluffy snow white one for the top part of his hair was dreadful quality, with bizarre, vertical wefts. While that part actually turned out okay in the end, the ponytail was a different story. My friend had one day to get all of this together, so his ponytail turned out a matted mess. >.< The whole thing really needs re-doing, but neither of us want to touch this nightmare. XD We'll fix him up some day.
Celebrindae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #42
ShikariNara
Crazy Girl Gamer

Unhappy

The first time I cosplayed (Konan from Naruto) I got a wig about a month before the con. I ended up cutting this one too short and had to buy a second one 2 days before the con. This was ok for a while, until i had to put the bun in her hair. The wig was too short so I superglued some hair from the other wig to the new one. bad mistake.
It practically fell out during the con, and I hadn't put the wig on properly, so my hair (which was quite long then) kept showing through the wig!
ShikariNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #43
magnum-desu

My Euphie wig. I decided I should dye it to get the right colour, so I ordered a silver-gray wig.

Long story short, it began as a soft silver-gray wig and ended a dry, frizzy, bleeding mess.

Never again will I dye anything.
magnum-desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #44
Poki_Toshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_Toxic View Post

The lesson for that? DON'T RUSH WITH WIGS. Take your time. Take breaks. Open a window. hahahah.

The scariest one I think was my Reno wig, which was my second wig styling job. I got a Punky XL and knew I had to cut and style it, and was TERRIFIED I was going to mess it up. D:
There was so much wig hair on my dining room table. hahaha. I think I got lucky with that one.

Hard work. It pays off. <3333

Your wigs look good! Totally agree with not rushing when you're styling a wig.

I'd have to say my worst wig experience would be styling a Larxene wig from Kingdom Hearts. I don't have any pictures up of it yet, but lets just say I had to keep from stomping the thing on the ground the entire time I was styling it. You'd think a slicked back look with some antennas would be easy right? It took so many tries and different methods to get the antenna's to stay up and still look thick enough.
Poki_Toshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #45
Zaviera
Loving the sexy

I tried to die a blonde wig into a lemon yellow for my Rin Kagamine cosplay. I used the exact instructions that I found on multiple sites to dye a wig with the Sharpie method. I dunked it in a vat and let it soak for a few hours before looking at it again, and it it didn't dye at all! Disappointed I let it soak overnight. Still nothing.
Two days later I give up and wash out the wig and realize that in a bunch of parts there were yellow blotches. GAHHH!
I didn't have time to get a new wig (it was the day before the con) so I styled it the best I could and tried to hide the yellow blotches.

I think I know why it happened though. It was a more expensive wig that had some sort of protection on it that helped it against heat. I didn't know that because I got it from a friend and later realized the stuff on it probably caused it not to dye. @ _@';;
I'm now afraid to try dying a wig again.
[/cough cough]

Currently working on:
Shiki Misaki from The World Ends With You (about 30% done).

Next up is:
Polka from Eternal Sonata.

Couple cosplay? Yessir! <3 Love you baby~
Zaviera is offline   Reply With Quote