Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MikomiCon

Unread 09-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
edo_oniichan
Masquerade Lover

Mikomicon Character Café?

Hey all,

Last year, I and a few others ran the Character Café, which was located in the Dealer's Hall on the mini-stage. It was a ton of fun, and a great place to just hang out!

I would love to do it again this year (and have all the fixings to do it: signs, decorations), but unfortunately, I move into college on the 19th, and can't be at Mikomicon at all.

I have yet to hear back from the person who helped out last year, but I was wondering if anyone was interested in either helping out as a host or running the café this year. If someone is, I'd be happy to stop by Mikomicon early on Friday if only to drop off the signs and other fun goodies before I head out.

Last year, we had pretty short hours; we were open Saturday from 12-5, and Sunday from 10-1 or something along those lines. It's almost like a Host Club, a place to hang out and make conversation with a friendly host (and have some free candy and water, too) -- almost like the Con Suite at ALA.

If nobody's willing to take the job, then I'll try and do it next year again. Thanks!

edo_oniichan
Staff Member, Panel Participant, Ribbon Giver

Cosplays In Progress
Hachikuji Mayoi (Bakemonogatari) : Wig (68%)
Rakka (Haibane Renmei) : Planned for AX2010
edo_oniichan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Angel-Ofire

Unhappy

Noooooooooooo!

it will be dearly missed

-------------------

Be ORIGINAL! Don't Copy!

Don't Hate! Don't Stalk.

Be yourself, Forget the haters.

-------

All Eyes on me in the center of a ring just like a circus. xP

People talk about you like your famous = DesignateThis.

<3 <3 <3

Love Love Love. x3
Angel-Ofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
ninjagal6
when life gives you lemon

I'd help, but i have alot going on on sat, so i may try on sunday ^^ good luck!
website
Deviantart
ninjagal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
SasukeSeme-chan

Ohhhh,so that's what that Lelouch cosplayer was talking about!XD; Last year some random Lelouch cosplayer went up to me,giving me a lollipop,saying to drop by,I was very confused!XD;

I'd love to help!:3 However if I did would I be required to remain in that area for a certain period of time?Or could I be there for an hour or something and leave?Because I do plan on participating in the masquerade on Saturday.Although,Sunday SHOULD be fine for me,I don't think I really plan to do much aside from hanging out with friends.I'm not sure,I need more details about this.^_^
SasukeSeme-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Rin Kitsune

OH EDO-CHAN!! I wish I could help, but I sadly have too much going on at this year's Mikomicon...I'd be happy to help you out next year though, for sure. And if I hear of anyone willing to help out this year, I'll direct them to you. Other than that, have fun moving into college!! *hugs*
Unread 09-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
edo_oniichan
Masquerade Lover

@SasukeSeme-chan:

Last year, the café was long closed by the time Masquerade started, even before the meetings. I worked as Masq assistant, and everything went fine.

We didn't have a lot of people signed up to host at the beginning of last year, but at the con, we recruited a lot of bored cosplayers to come and hang out with us. That's really what it turned into, a place where people (shy or open) could come and talk to someone friendly and just rest a bit.

Saturday you would probably be fine going from 11-4 or 5 PM, and Sunday is usually just 11-1, due to nobody really being there.

For those who do want to help out, but not run the thing, there's no set schedule - just come whenever you feel like coming to help out, and then leave when you have something else to do (or get bored). All you really have to do is say hi, invite people to come to the café, and make conversation with the 'guests'. We don't really have any 'performances' or 'special events' at all, although the Para Para group did do a routine or two on Sunday for the café guests.

For those who would want to run the thing, it would only entail making sure at least one person in charge is at the café to look over things for the entire time - we managed this last year by having 3 different people there, although I pretty much spent most of my time at the café when I wasn't prepping for Masq. You're also allowed into the Dealer's Hall before it opens to set up - all we did last year was bring in a CD player, some rose petals for decoration, and set up the single sign.

If someone's really willing to run it at least Saturday, I'll email the Mikomicon staff and see if we can't get some tables in there again. It shouldn't be a problem, but I worry that if it's not taken care of by this weekend, they won't have enough time to get it ready.

EDIT: Found an old picture from last year's Café: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1734991/
Staff Member, Panel Participant, Ribbon Giver

Cosplays In Progress
Hachikuji Mayoi (Bakemonogatari) : Wig (68%)
Rakka (Haibane Renmei) : Planned for AX2010

Last edited by edo_oniichan : 09-11-2009 at 11:36 AM.
edo_oniichan is offline   Reply With Quote