Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Unread 10-07-2002, 05:36 PM   #16
Cyber Wolf
Bone Daddy

Only in certain areas I think. I was lucky enough to have it playing at a local theatre.... as in not in Manhattan ^^;;; I saw the commercial at night around the ABC news at the same time everyday. So cool *_*
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2002, 10:37 PM   #17
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

I'm taking a brief brain-break from this fscking storyboard . . . I HATE doing this with a set plot structure everyone has to use. This week I have to have a child overcoming their darkest fear to achieve an important personal goal and an antagonist trying to stop them. Shoot me now, please.

> I was thinking the other day about how unconventional Totoro was. In that movie, there's almost no plot. Well, there's a plot, but there's no badguys, and next to no conflict-resolution. It's basically a movie about a series of situations and discoveries.

Yes, my teachers have been telling me that all stories are about conflict (list of "man vs" goes here), and that that means you have to have an antagonist. And you have your lovely little plot curve. Miyazaki DOES do some of this. Chihiro is the protagonist, she has a goal to achieve, and various things stand in the way of that. Behold - a plot. But I think there's a difference between sitting down with a formula and writing a story with it, and writing a story and having it naturally follow this very basic formula. The formula wasn't created by the first person to tell a story. It just happens to be a very effective way to take events and characters and make something that will hold people's attention.

But it's not something you have to be a slave to. Totoro is a beautiful, funny, uplifting film. There's no clear "goal", no "villain", and very little "conflict". "Grave of the Fireflies" is rather like that; they evoke emotions, but they don't rely on the same system to accomplish that as most films do.

When my teacher was critiquing our storyboards last week, he told this one guy that there was no conflict in his storyboard. The guy had this one bit with him being chased by dogs, and he started saying you have to give them their comeuppance, have them slam into a wall or something. This is definitely the Disney method of villains. A) Pick someone or some creature to demonize; B) have them do nasty things; C) they eventually have something nasty happen to them. It's not a very complex little moral universe, is it? I don't want to give spoilers to anyone else who might be reading this by giving details, but this is clearly NOT what happens in Spirited Away (or any of the Miyazaki films), if you've seen it. Who's the villain in Mononoke Hime? It's not that simple, it's not a tidy little package in that way. Disney films strive to be packaged, to have very well defined characters (which is not the same as well-developed!), and simple plot, and a formulaic resolution. This is what the teacher is offering as the prime example of how to tell a good story. Frankly, I don't care how much money you throw at the animation, it's boring. It's completely predictable . . . I understand that there is evidence that people don't want to have movies do things that are completely unpredictable. But you can vary it some! And I don't think that you have to understand the character completely in the first 30 seconds they're on screen (he used the beginning of Beauty and the Beast for this).

Gah. I'm not being super-coherent, sorry. But I also don't want to wind up writing an essay. ^^ (Yeah, too late, huh? ^^;; And yeah, I know I come across as Disney-bashing. They've made good movies. But now they're just trying to duplicate past successes, using this formula, and it's really not working . . .

> And a catbus! ^__^

The catbus rocks! I wonder whatever happened to those guys who were turning that school bus into a catbus?
Unread 10-07-2002, 11:06 PM   #18
Shadow Lady
SunnyD addict

I can't go see it. The only theature close to where I live is still too far away so nobody will take me. My mom feels bad about not being able to take me so she said she'll get me the DVD when it comes out.

My friend saw it in Japan and said it was one of the best movies she has ever seen. It looks even cooler than Princess Mononoke and that movie is sooooooooo cool.

WAHHHHHHH! I wanna see it!
Shadow Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2002, 11:09 PM   #19
Shadow Lady
SunnyD addict

> And a catbus! ^__^

Yay! I love the catbus. I have a little plush one sitting on my desk. Kawaiiiiiiiii!!!
Shadow Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 10:14 AM   #20
Hungryjack
Tokyo Nagaremono

I'm still waiting for Spirited Away to make it to one of our local Landmark Theaters (Landmark shows the artsy films and anime) but I think it's going to be another month or two at the earliest.

When I finally got ahold of this movie, there had been so much anticipation amongst my friends that we all had a big screen party over at my house. It was a lot of fun. I truly believe the movie made (slightly) more sense to me after a few drinks.

Man, I can't wait to catch it on the BIG screen, though. *twiddle*
Hungryjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 10:31 AM   #21
Krishna
Cosplay Maiden

>I also like how Miyazaki's badguys are never totally bad. Well of >course, it's really standard badguy practice to have certain traits >that the viewers can identify with in order to make the badguy >effective, but Miyzaki's villains always seem to be more >sympathetic than most... well... I've only seen three of his >movies, so maybe I shouldn't generalize. ^^;

HHHmmm i think that is pretty much true there is some exception in the Sky Castle Luputa.. other then that i think you are right.. now i thought about it... hehehe i saw every one of his movies.... since they were quite popular in Taiwan... they are still popular... my favorite one is The Valley of Wind: Nausica.. and it was created like at 1984... long time ago, but still very good!!
Unread 10-08-2002, 02:43 PM   #22
krystal1314
Cheesemists

Hehe...
My school's film club is gonna be showing Spirited Away tomorrow ^^ I'M SO EXCITED!
krystal1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 05:19 PM   #23
Lisibit

From what I can remember, disney didn't cut any scenes; however, the english dubbed version gave a lot of the storyline away much earlier on than the subbed version did.

In Japanese, the beginning seemed much creepier (when they enter the tunnel and afterward,) and the dialogue was quite a bit different.

I loved the movie though- I've seen it about 5 times now (once in the movie theater, 4 times on DVD.) I usually watch it when I work out
Unread 10-08-2002, 06:15 PM   #24
Cyber Wolf
Bone Daddy

I so understand what ur saying Ayaka, Disney uses the same formula everytime but Miyazaki varies it up. So I say he's a million times better than Disney becasue life doesn't work so neatly like they portay it.
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 11:17 AM   #25
SleepingKirby
Ride on a shooting star!!

Don't be surprised, Miss Cookie Queen. Disney/Miramax doesn't usually like to promote any Miyazakis stuff. (their deathwish, really.) Chances are, you won't see any commercials until the last week or so for it's official release in theatres. (according to the people I talked to. It's suppose to be a "nationwide" release. Hopefully, it's not a Mononoke-like "nationwide" release.) And you probably won't see any billboards or ads unless you're in a media-driven/populated area like Los Angeles or Manhattan.

I don't need to say how good it is. Like Miyazaki's stuff, it kicks major kuro-kuro-suke(Totoro's dust bunnies.) a@@.

Yay! Someone finally mentioned it! Totoro (and Kiki's delivery service.) has virtually no plot!!! I think one of things keeps Miyazaki so innovative in his films is that he doesn't really bother and worry with stuff like plot line struction and all the red tape of the American animation process (Has to have this, promote this product, geared to attract this audience, etc.). Miyazaki is one of those artist that doesn't care what he's making as long as it's enjoyable/good.

Krishna, you're Taiwanese? Last I heard, the Miyazaki set in Taiwan doesn't go for too much. 60-80 US dollars, I think. And that spans from Nausicaa to Mononoke. Good buy, I highly recommend it.

Yeah, Miyazaki's villian aren't your average, "I like evil!!!" villians. Like villians in the real world, they're really characters with opposing goals/perspective or they're in a misunderstanding. In most of Miyazaki's films, it's hard to find "the villian". More often then not, there is no villian or the villian becomes a friend. Reference to Only Yesterday, Whispers of the heart (Mimi wo Suwaseba), Kiki's delivery service and I can hear the waves.

As for the comment of hoping Disney doesn't cut anything... did anyone hear what Miyazaki sent to the Disney executives when they were editting Mononoke? A very new and sharp Katana with a note on it that said, "no cuts". I fully believe that Miyazaki would use that if anyone messed with his work.

Oh yeah, in retrospect... after seeing most, if not all of Miyazaki's work, I would have to say that Mononoke is an AVERAGE movie compared to all his other works. For those that have yet see his other stuff, you're in for a treat! I do have to say, Spirited Away, although not my fave Studio Ghibli film, did completely blow me away. I had to watch it twice, in the same day, one directly after the other. (Okay, so it was two and a half. I had to sleep sometime.)

Oh yeah, Ayaka. I totally agree with you. Some english majors have too long of a stick shoved too high up their... you know. Storylines and plotlines aren't limited to just conflict. Dark Vision once said, and I quote, "I would watch the anime for the character interaction alone!" Yeah, you can make generalizations for some successful storylines, but you really counts is what feel. Do you enjoy what you're watching/writing/listening/drawing? No amount of formula in the world can beat that logic. Good luck on that storyboard. I know what you're going through.

Oh, and... Yay! Catbus!!!!

Click here for random Kirbyness.

Last edited by SleepingKirby : 10-11-2002 at 12:28 PM.
SleepingKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 12:25 PM   #26
plastiknife

I feel like a big weewee head that I havn't heard of this. oh well, I'm downloading it on a 128 kb/s conncetion, so it will be done in about 3 min hehe

(EASTSIDE WUT WUT!!?!?!)
plastiknife is offline   Reply With Quote