Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-16-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
Kayu-sama

Sewing w/o patterns or making your own patterns

I'm a total newb at sewing.....I can operate a sewing machine, but I'm an idiot at tailoring. I can't cut pieces of fabric and get them to fit right once sewn together. I have a few costumes I'll be making soon and I could use some advice on how to make them without a pattern, and have them actually fit the people they're made for. They're really simple for anyone that knows what they're doing, but not for me!

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...oy12/malon.jpg
http://www.kasuto.net/image/officialart/majora_anju.jpg

Please and thank you! =3

Unread 09-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

Well... buy a pre-made pattern. I'm sure you could find ones that would help with those costumes since they are relatively simple shapes.

Or take a pattern-drafting class at a community college.

Or buy or rent a book on the subject.

Otherwise - and even with that, learning is a process of trial and error. My experienced sewing teacher had me make a mock-up of a jacket since she didn't know what alterations it would need just by looking at the pattern and looking at me - I would say this is fairly common. Even professionally tailored garments are at least "fit".
Unread 09-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Etrina
Banshee Queen

Your best bet - for either of those two - is going to be buy (a) pre-made pattern(s).

For the first one - find a pattern for a longish skirt and use that - or your other option (and this is going off MY body measurements 27" waist 32" hips)
get approx. 3 yards of fabric, cut down the fold, sew both sides together, baste the "waist" and gather, sew on a waistband (or sew in elastic), hem....

this gives you a fairly full skirt that is pretty long - you can obviously hem it up more if you want it to be shorter.

I use this method when making my skirts for Ren Faire because it's really simple, can be done in less than an hour (for me) and produces a fairly full, full length skirt.

In addition to the skirt, you could buy a white T-shirt and probably fabric paint on the sleeves in that purpley color.

As for her apron, most major pattern companies have apron patterns.
Her little kerchief thing is probably a big square of fabric folded on a diagonal
and then buy some brown boots.

The second one i'd say buy a white, scoop neck, 3/4 length sleeve top.
For the dress - find a pattern that looks like that (i know there are some I've been scouring dress patterns of late) and rather than sewing it in all one color, sew it in that red and blue. Again, paint the design on the skirt.
You can also just sew some red buttons on the front - OR if you're feeling really ambitions make them working buttons, but if youre not an experienced sewer this could be difficult

Upcoming Events:
Blizzcon 2010

Upcoming Cosplays
Codex of The Guild - 40% || Lady Sylvanas Windrunner - 8% (patterning) || Vanille FFXIII

Dreamscape my blog
Follow me on Twitter!
Unread 09-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Kayu-sama

Yes, it would be easier to have a pattern, and trust me, I've looked....it seems the more simple a thing you're looking for, the harder it is to find. )= Everything needs to be all fancy, I haven't seen any plain old skirts and t-shirts or even a simple vest....
Unread 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

Look at Simplicity's patterns. They have plenty of Easy/Beginner patterns, including a T-Shirt and Dress Fitter pattern. :/

Also, both skirts would be better gored than full, as per the reference.
Unread 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
Etrina
Banshee Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayu-sama View Post
Yes, it would be easier to have a pattern, and trust me, I've looked....it seems the more simple a thing you're looking for, the harder it is to find. )= Everything needs to be all fancy, I haven't seen any plain old skirts and t-shirts or even a simple vest....
Just a quick search online - granted I'm just purely looking at pictures here and not scanning the actual pattern myself. but for the first one:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2133-misses-skirts.aspx
Would probably work for the skirt. You could just lengthen it slightly.
http://www.simplicity.com/p-1871-aprons.aspx
Apron pattern - just make it without the pockets

http://www.simplicity.com/p-1549-misses-dresses.aspx
This pattern would work for the second dress.

They're out there if you look

Upcoming Events:
Blizzcon 2010

Upcoming Cosplays
Codex of The Guild - 40% || Lady Sylvanas Windrunner - 8% (patterning) || Vanille FFXIII

Dreamscape my blog
Follow me on Twitter!
Unread 09-17-2009, 02:20 AM   #7
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Ditto looking at Simplicity's offerings. Their patterns are easy to follow. Don't limit yourself to just one category. Look through them all to find something similar.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Unread 09-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Kayu-sama

Those are helpful =) Like I said, I did look through many patterns, but I can try and be more open to the idea of altering patterns.
Unread 09-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Machimo

I'd definitely go with altering patterns. If you don't have much experience with a sewing machine and don't have a dress form either, it'd be suicide (time-consuming wise) to try it with no pattern. Also, I don't know if you know what muslin it - it's my savior fabric. Cheap, I draw out all my custom patterns on it, so I don't have to re-make my cosplay patterns from scratch if I want to redo something.
Also, make sure you remember to leave hems on the patterns - check if it includes them in the pattern measurements, since not all do.

^---- Tell me what cosplays I look like?
Unread 09-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
flyinvee11
Norcal/Portland

These are all great suggestions! I'd like to add that if you're going to cosplay for a long time (and who isn't??) you should definitely practice your sewing so you can feel more confident about it. Just buy some cheap fabric from the discount rack at Joanne's and buy some really cheap thread, and make some really menial items like pillowcases and such. Keep making more and more complicated things in small increments and soon you'll be a skilled tailor!
Unread 09-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

I have made my own patterns in the past (Minus one time where I used a pattern for a Lestat cosplay)

What I did was draw the patterns simply - I then would test it out by making miniture versions, and practice cutting out the patterns on smaller pieces of fabric. I can then tell if it worked out or not lol and not wasting that much fabric in the first place since I wouldn't use the full size version. Same thing can apply to proffessionally made patterns too, you can practice cutting out patterns just by using much smaller pieces of fabric (As if you were making a costume for a doll or something)

I know it might sound strange...but it can be useful.

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #12
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgnirysFaye View Post
What I did was draw the patterns simply - I then would test it out by making miniture versions, and practice cutting out the patterns on smaller pieces of fabric. I can then tell if it worked out or not lol and not wasting that much fabric in the first place since I wouldn't use the full size version. Same thing can apply to proffessionally made patterns too, you can practice cutting out patterns just by using much smaller pieces of fabric (As if you were making a costume for a doll or something)

I know it might sound strange...but it can be useful.
Not strange at all. In fact, that's how I learned to sew and draft patterns: by making doll clothes. Whenever anyone asks me how to learn, that's exactly what I tell them to do. Make clothes for your old baby dolls. Bonus if they are odd-sized and force you to experiment.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

If you're making these items for other people, do they own any items of clothing which are similar. You could use these to draw around and create a pattern from, and you'll know they should fit that way. That's the way I do it with my own costumes, I've never used a bought pattern in all the costumes I've made!
Unread 09-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

I recommend using some kind of pattern because otherwise you will make lots of mistakes and end up spending far more on fabric then you might have planned for. Someone has already suggested Simplicity patterns as a place to start because their patterns are really easy to use and I agree with that. I also suggest that you make what is refered to as a 'mock up' out of muslin, broadcloth, or some other cheap fabric before actually cutting out anything from the real fabric you going to use. You can make endless alterations on a 'mock-up' while your trying to fit it and you don't have to worry so much about ruining your actual costume piece. Also instead of cutting out the actual pattern pieces from commerical patterns, which causes you to lose use of the other sizes in the pattern, trace out the patterns onto tracing paper instead. It's an extra step but it'll save you time and money if you find out later that you actually needed a larger or smaller size or if your needing to work with two different sizes from the same pattern. It also makes a handy place to note down changes you might have made to the pattern to make certain costume pieces.

Last edited by RaDragon76 : 09-21-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
AsukaDomo

I have heard drawing your pattern on newspaper works tho I have never personally tried it. I'm retarded at sewing and I find it hard to follow a pattern lol. I once made my own pattern by looking at pictures and measuring and drawing the pattern on the fabric in pencil and then sewing and cutting.

It was my asuka dress and it didnt turn out that bad I dont think