Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #91
Prisca712

This thread has increased my "To-read" list sooo much...

One of my best friends made Isabelle Lightwood from The Mortal Instruments for a con last year. We're both planning to do costumes from The Infernal Devices (she wants to be Jessamyn and I'm still deciding between Tessa and Charlotte).

I also think it would be fun to do one of Tossie's floof-tastic outfits from To Say Nothing of the Dog (including a cat plushie as Princess Arjumand).
Prisca712 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #92
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I would love to do Kim Ford from the Fionavar Tapestry books (Guy Gavriel Kay- read them) but I don't think anyone would reconize me. Same thing with my desire to do Lune from Midnight Never Come (or In Ashes Lie. Or the new that just came out. The title escaped me. Those are by Marie Brennan and are fantasy/historical fiction, my two favorite genres combined)
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower

Last edited by UsakoLuna : 09-18-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: It helps to spell the series correctly.
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #93
Sentinel150
Keeper of Ages

I would love to make some costumes based of descriptions/the cover art of some of my favorite novels!

Ideas I had include...

Faraday, Azhure, or Zenith from the Wayfarer's Redemption series.
Vestakia from the Obsidian Trilogy.

... and my all-time favorite, the Shrike from the Hyperion Cantos!

The main problem with any of these would be recognizability, and I have a ton of other characters from videogames/anime/films on my list .

I suppose Machiko Noguchi from the Aliens vs. Predator series of novels could count as a character from literature (she has since been in comics and made into different action figures), as I'm going to start working on that soon. The original AVP novels really were amazing, if only the recent films could be that good, lol.

Hearing you guys talk about all these novels and series makes me want to read them!

Keep up the good work!

P.S.

Totally agree with Gingersweet on cosplaying a character from a novel being the best way to pay homage to it. Very few series ever have visuals associated with them aside from the cover-art. Only a select few become comics, movies, games etc- but there is so much more out there people overlook because they are exposed to the other media first!
Sentinel150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #94
E. Hyde
likes synthetic fibers

So ... I caved and bought The Way of Kings ... and now I want some shardplate. I don't even have a good mental image for it but I want to make it anyway.

This is sort of a problem as I've never made armor before.
E. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #95
mdelgiorno17

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Hyde View Post
So ... I caved and bought The Way of Kings ... and now I want some shardplate. I don't even have a good mental image for it but I want to make it anyway.

This is sort of a problem as I've never made armor before.
I want some too! Unfortunately, I've never made armor before either. :-(
mdelgiorno17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #96
raistlin_fanno1
archmage

um ive did raistlin from dragon once of the more notice ble charaters ive am also working on a flint costume for a friend
my friend is elestan
his wife is doing crysania

all from the same series dragonlance

um also wouldent mind doing a cosplay from a friend of mine books she wrote

Last edited by raistlin_fanno1 : 09-28-2010 at 07:31 PM.
raistlin_fanno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #97
junkeemunky
JM

This is so awesome, I wish I had noticed this thread a long time ago. It'd be great to see more literary costume cosplays. It's just a fantastic idea, and there are so many artistic liberties you can take with outfits/appearances.

I would love to dress as a character from Garth Nix books, in particular The Keys to the Kingdom.
junkeemunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #98
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Hyde View Post
I'm thinking of going as the Queen of Attolia sometime (I have a design sketch, nothing final though) in the red outfit she's wearing at the end of "The Thief." Don't know how recognizable I'd be, but I think it would be a fun costume to make.
I very nearly squawked when I read this. The fact that someone else has not only read these without my having to thrust the books at them, but that they've been working on cosplay sketches... I confess, I have considered cosplaying Eugenides, if I weren't so pasty and redheaded.

Just read Mercedes Lackey's Last Herald-Mage trilogy though, and my brain's been coming up with all kinds of justifications for attempting to cosplay Stefen.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #99
Eerie Butterfly
Bacon, the candy of meats

I've made a serpiente dancer costume from The Kiesha'ra Series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes which doubled as my belly dancing outfit.

I believe it's obscure fiction, but I'm now working on:
Elizabeth Bennet- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies [for me]
Abraham Lincoln- Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter [for my friend]
Colonel Brandon- Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters [for my other friend]

Hopefully I'll get all three of them done before our first con of the year.
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #100
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Somebody should totally do Artemis Fowl.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #101
LarkaChan
Larka

I think I'd want to do Sabirel or Lirael from Abhorsen. All the bells...
Cosplay- the art of bringing a character that some one has poured there heart into making to life, living and breathing, in a true heartfelt manor. And showcasing this to the fans, not for the attention- though it is nice- but for the light in their eyes when they see their favoite character walking down the street, or through convention walls.
LarkaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #102
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

So, because I'm obsessed with 1984 (I've read it like 3 times and I'm dying to read it again, but I don't know where my copy went...need to get my butt to the library), I was thinking that I'd like to make something 1984 inspired. But then I remembered that Orwell didn't really say much of anything about what anyone wore, and it was all supposed to be pretty dull and uniform anyway.

And, then I thought it might be cool to make a Thought Police costume, even though I'm pretty sure that they were supposed to blend in with normal society. But, hey, maybe it would be a fun thing to think about conceptually, and maybe (just for the lulz) I could draw just a little inspiration from Cheap Trick's "Dream Police" album cover.

Yeah, I get weird ideas. The point is, if it can be made to work, 1984 cosplay would be doubleplusgood

Edit: Got back into 1984 this weekend, really think it would be fun to make a 1984 inspired costume work, less for the clothing and more for the fun accessories. Propoganda pamphlet, Victory Cigarettes, Victory Gin, Newspeak dictionary, etc
youtube channel! Facebook Page

Last edited by alpha_helix : 01-30-2011 at 07:13 PM.
alpha_helix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #103
elfqueenvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
ame thing with my desire to do Lune from Midnight Never Come (or In Ashes Lie. Or the new that just came out. The title escaped me. Those are by Marie Brennan and are fantasy/historical fiction, my two favorite genres combined)

OMG I loved midnight never come. That be cool to see.

The only thing I have done that qualifies as a book costume Luthien Tinuviel
from The Silmarillion. I have met Ellen Kushner at a faerie con and she thought I'd look good as Thomas (from her book Thomas the rhymer.) I have been reading The Looking Glass Wars and am debating on doing a costume from that. Id consider dressing as either Oddete or Odlile from Mercedes Lackey's book The Black Swan.

I have a feeling I am going to go through by books to get ideas...

Last edited by elfqueenvik : 02-13-2011 at 09:40 PM.
elfqueenvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #104
HidingintheMist
A lion still has claws

I'd really like to be either Catherine Harcourt or Jane Roland from the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, but I have no idea if anyone would recognize me at all if I did so. Not that I'd mind not being recognized though.

I'm planning to be an Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah(from the Wheel of Time series) eventually, with my friend who wants to be a Green. If she wants to be a specific one though, and picks Elayne, I might just be Birgitte.

What I'm working on though from time to time is Mina the Fair from Vampire Hunter D.
HidingintheMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #105
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

so many exciting, interesting ideas here. I was relieved to see others considering literary cosplays too, makes me feel like it's "ok" to do.

and now I'm thinking it would be really cool to have a LitCon -- where everyone cosplays as favorite literary characters, from any genre, popular or obscure. And people could sell artwork based on the books, indie writers could promote their works, there could be panels for authors and also cover artists, fan panels to discuss various works, contests for guessing peoples' costumes and for best costumes.

then again, I'm geeky like that.
If pie is delicious, I will compliment the person serving it to me.
If they made the pie, I will absolutely compliment them on having made it, too.
-- kiratsukai
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote