Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #91
tn_scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalBanshee View Post
I saw your work, it is amazing and it has given me so much inspiration for my Delta outfit. Since the helmet will be latex I don't want to wire it too much just in case. Hmmm, I have a thought, Delta's three lights, the two below his porthole and the one above it, what if instead of rigging them with lights I use two way fabric...I forget what it is call, but you use them to keep a little air flow.

You know I think your idea of a fan in the top light will be awesome! That will be the humidity pushed down and out the mask and give me air. Sweet thank you tn_scotsman.

I think the material you are thinking of is called scrim. I looked into using it in order to try and hide my face in the mask, but I'm hoping the lights will be bright enough to basically cause pain if people look too close for my face
One thing to keep in mind with the fans, if you use computer fans, they can run off a 9volt battery and you can tape the battery right to the fan and not have to run wires everywhere. I agree that any voltage wire inside a latex mask could cause "interesting" effects if something goes wrong.
Also, thank you for the compliment. I am really liking the way everything is turning out, but I have to say, I want this over and done now. I've been working on it since November and I am nearly sick of it. Also, also, I may try to pick your brain at some point. Casting and latex is the next level of design and building I really want to get into.

Visit my blog for costume build progress and pictures - The Real Redneck Geek
tn_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #92
CrystalBanshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_scotsman View Post
I think the material you are thinking of is called scrim. I looked into using it in order to try and hide my face in the mask, but I'm hoping the lights will be bright enough to basically cause pain if people look too close for my face
One thing to keep in mind with the fans, if you use computer fans, they can run off a 9volt battery and you can tape the battery right to the fan and not have to run wires everywhere. I agree that any voltage wire inside a latex mask could cause "interesting" effects if something goes wrong.
Also, thank you for the compliment. I am really liking the way everything is turning out, but I have to say, I want this over and done now. I've been working on it since November and I am nearly sick of it. Also, also, I may try to pick your brain at some point. Casting and latex is the next level of design and building I really want to get into.
Scrim! That is what it was, man could I forget. Haha I like that idea of being so bright it causes pain to someone who looks too close. Depending on what I can get my hands on, I will either use scrim or plastic sheet for Delta's porthole. Fingers crossed what ever I use hides my eyes.

Yeah I am sure this project has really started to drive you mad. I am going mad just waiting for the supplies to leave the companies so I can start already. Oh course, once I get the ball rolling I will probably start a blog and let people pick my brain on how the work goes and how I did what. Oh so many ideas! This wait is going to drive me up the walls
CrystalBanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #93
Mr Trauma Queen

Oh my my I am also going to me cosplaying Big sister. I have actually a big group of friends going to be cosplaying a bioshock group
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #94
tn_scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trauma Queen View Post
Oh my my I am also going to me cosplaying Big sister. I have actually a big group of friends going to be cosplaying a bioshock group
What con are you and your friends going to be at?

Unread 06-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #95
Mr Trauma Queen

I wanted to go to New York Anime Con/comicon. But I prob cant so I am going to Aim for Another Anime Convention.
Funny thing is Ill probaly be the only one finished Haha
Unread 06-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #96
CrystalBanshee

Well after a week of sculpting, countless errors and mistakes fixed and remained and sooo many frustrating moments I am getting the clay bust to be sealed for the the mold making process.

Do you guys realize HOW much detailing Delta has?! Four indented sections both front and back, wing-nuts on the sides all the way around, bolts everywhere, the camera, and the lights and visor! I ran through 4 lbs of clay making him!

I ran across one problem I have to deal with, I couldn't make him dome like. The front folds into a straight line that leans up to his visor. If anyone reading this thinks latex is easier think again!

Oil-based clays which mask maker use is a a living nightmare to smooth out. I don't know how they do it, must come with practice. Anyway, because of latex lack of self support (it has some but not a lot) I had to loose the rope hooks the front and the hand-bars on the back, but other than that I have worked so very hard to make him look nice. I will post final pictures once the clear coat is one.
Unread 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #97
tn_scotsman

@CrystalBanshee, Very VERY impressive. And, yeah, Delta has a crap load of detail and there is always something that everyone misses. I left the wingnuts off mine and then forgot the groove that runs up the middle around the back too.
I wouldn't worry about the perfect smoothness. Remember it is supposed to be hammered copper, and old.

Unread 06-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #98
Mr Trauma Queen

Haha Ill soon have to handle the Delta project right after I finish big sister.

Ps big sister progeress. I finished 12 coats of paper mache for the helmet :0
I officially hate glue sooooo much
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #99
CrystalBanshee

Quote:
@CrystalBanshee, Very VERY impressive. And, yeah, Delta has a crap load of detail and there is always something that everyone misses. I left the wingnuts off mine and then forgot the groove that runs up the middle around the back too.
I wouldn't worry about the perfect smoothness. Remember it is supposed to be hammered copper, and old.
Thanks, that means a lot. Yeah, I took pictures from the web, compared random blueprints on Devi-art and a the concept art. Oh yeah I threw the idea of perfect smoothness out the window after the detailing started, haha. I figure I will let the final product decide out aged Delta's helmet will be so I can paint on the aged copper look.

Once the mask is cast I will most the link to my gallery of the different stages of working.

Mr Trauma Queen - Hahaha, I will trade you my oil base clay for your paper mache. Not as dirty but MUCH hard shape.
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #100
tn_scotsman

Trauma Queen - I feel your pain. My Big Sister helmet went the way of the doe-doe for now. Going to focus on Delta and the few pieces needed for an Eleanor End Game No Helmet Version.

CrystalBanshee - looking forward to the gallery.

Unread 06-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #101
Mr Trauma Queen

@Banshee: LOL No thanks Ill pass. Oil and me dont blend well. I try to avoid oil even in my cooking lolol xD

@Scots: I would focus on the one with the most work anyway cause I get like super distraced and stuff. I already am wanting to do another cosplay but my friend is keeping me on track yaya what are friends for
Unread 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #102
Mithrenniel
Soylent Green: For Humani

I have an Big Sister side project. I took a Halloween pumpkin and paper-mached over it and then cut the mache off. I'm going to take some duct tape to put the halves back together then paint over it just for fun.
---}{---
Planning on Going to
---}{---
Anime Detour(MN)2013

Find me online and say hi!
FF.net; LoliPear the WaltzQueen
AnimeDetour fourms & DeviantArt; WaltzQueen
Youtube; shuri
Mithrenniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #103
CrystalBanshee

Breathe Banshee, breathe....Sons of ##@@!**^^$!%$$%#!$^!&%&))&^$%^!$%!$^!$#@@#$~!!!!

Ok I am sorry I had to vent, the book I have for making mask is crap! The plaster used is called Ultra Cal 30 and is the most annoying thing I have ever seen. I have two stepping stones because it once it starts to solidify you can't stop it!

Ok, so it is pose to be brushed on like a paste right? Well for some reason my spread like water and the only thing that worked was the burlap which makes the shell. If this turns out bad I am going to have restart.

I am going to warn everyone now and save you from a hell...Latex mask making is not the easy route! I repeat, IT IS NOT EASY! Don't even think about unless you are ready to devote your life to it. I'm sorry, my mood is every where, but I am good and I will do this!

Ok talk to you all later...I need a nap.
Unread 06-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #104
tn_scotsman

Hang in there CB!
I just had a MAJOR break through with my wife's Eleanor costume. It just got a major step closer to done today. So if I can make progress, so can you.
I've gotten the Big Sister Adam Syringe nearly complete and I could not be HAPPIER with it. I think it looks amazing, but I am biased.
I've got a lot of pictures over on my blog. Please go take a look and let me know what you think. I'm giddy about it, and am now amped and ready to take on more.

Unread 06-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #105
CrystalBanshee

Quote:
Hang in there CB!
I just had a MAJOR break through with my wife's Eleanor costume. It just got a major step closer to done today. So if I can make progress, so can you.
I've gotten the Big Sister Adam Syringe nearly complete and I could not be HAPPIER with it. I think it looks amazing, but I am biased.
I've got a lot of pictures over on my blog. Please go take a look and let me know what you think. I'm giddy about it, and am now amped and ready to take on more.
Thank you, I am good now.

I sadly lost all of the details when I removed the failed plaster shells and I am slowly working the detail back onto the mold. I figure I can light the whole costume from the Health and EVE tanks to the mask with EL wire I hide in re-breathers.

The real trick I am seeing in the future is painting the mask to show age, but one step at a time.

I took a look at your blog and well...Ten points! You're work is amazing tn_scotsman.

I wonder if I shouldn't give Delta a gun? Hmmm, it would be easier and less stressful than a drill. Hmm, something I will keep in mind.