Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Unread 09-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
Lawliet99

Ishbalan Conflict FMA Uniform

With the release of Brotherhood, I'm expecting that a lot of people who had only seen the first released anime and/or never read the FMA manga are going to be seeing the original wartime State Alchemist uniforms for the first time.

Personally, I love the uniforms from the manga. For those of you unaware, this slide from the manga shows the general idea (spoiler-free unless you read on):
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/61/06/

The uniform is devoid of the decorative cord on the right shoulder, and instead it comes with a gunbelt over the shoulder and one over the hips (the slide before the one I posted shows it). Also, although not visible, the Amestrian military wears only ankle-high boots, but wears off-white, knee-high gaiters over them.

My question, which I hope will spark discussion between my fellow FMA cosplayers, is do you folk think that it would be acceptable/wise/interesting to cosplay a fully-accurate version of state alchemists in the future as Brotherhood is gradually leaked into the populace? I'd be extatic to see the creativity that wartime alchemist costumes could bring to the surface.

(P.S. For you Roy fangirls out there, he wears an ankle-length, pale khaki trench coat in the manga for the span of the war. Very classy.)

Last edited by Lawliet99 : 09-21-2009 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Accuracy.
Lawliet99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I love FMA, the manga, and both anime! So to see someone do something from the manga or Brotherhood, which so far more closely follows the manga, would get me pretty stoked!
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Summerblues
Professional Amateur

As a huge fan of both the first series and the manga (I've yet to finish Brotherhood, but I'm liking what I see so far) I'd love to see this done.
I definitely think that it could bring a wider variety to cosplays of the military characters. Also, since the design is pretty similar to the uniforms which are more commonly seen, they would still be pretty recognizable.
Summerblues is offline   Reply With Quote