Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 09-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
rhymechan
Whiny Brat

Wig washing and styling help

I need a little help washing out a wig... I'm working on a Death The Kid (soul eater) wig. This is the first time I've ever styled a wig, so naturally, I did mess up. Luckily, it's just hairspray and it'll wash out...But, my question is, how do I wash my wig? The instructions on the tag says
"Rub with lukewarm water and mild shampoo," So, I can just use my Pureology shampoo? How much?`
I know I'm not supposed to comb it while it's wet...Will the wig retain the shape it was in before I styled it? The wig was originally long, and it is now shoulder length. If it does not remain straight, is there a way to straighten it other than the hot water method?
Finally, a question about styling. Death the kid (sorry I can't post refferences, I'm on a DSi) has mostly straight hair, bot the bottoms are flipped up. Currently, my wig is basically a shoulder length straight cut, styled slightly in the front. The reason I need to wash the wigis because I don't know how to do the hair flips. Hairspray didn't work correctly, or I just did it wrong. Can you suggest a way to give straight wig a natural looking flip to the ends?

JPop Summit Fest 2014
Nanase Haruka (Free!)

Japan Expo 2014
Day 1- Punk!Eren (SNK)
Day 2- Nanase Haruka (Free!)
Day 3- Medusa (Soul Eater)
rhymechan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

WIG shampoo, not human shampoo. Human shampoo is made for- you guessed it- human hair. Assuming your wig is synthetic and not human hair, human hair shampoo (as far as I know anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong) won't do anything for it.

There are specific shampoos and conditioners made for wigs- you can buy them at any Sally's beauty supply.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
WIG shampoo, not human shampoo. Human shampoo is made for- you guessed it- human hair. Assuming your wig is synthetic and not human hair, human hair shampoo (as far as I know anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong) won't do anything for it.

There are specific shampoos and conditioners made for wigs- you can buy them at any Sally's beauty supply.
Wig shampoos really aren't necessary; I use gentle human-hair shampoo on my wigs (think baby or child's shampoo), and it works just fine. Remember, soap and detergent works by the chemical process of oils and chemical agents to lift off dirt and other oils- including, of course, styling products. Human-hair shampoo won't harm your wig at all and will definitely get the stuff out of it.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
caisse
the sugoi princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundShinobiYuki View Post
Wig shampoos really aren't necessary; I use gentle human-hair shampoo on my wigs (think baby or child's shampoo), and it works just fine. Remember, soap and detergent works by the chemical process of oils and chemical agents to lift off dirt and other oils- including, of course, styling products. Human-hair shampoo won't harm your wig at all and will definitely get the stuff out of it.
Seconding this! And even if it isn't baby/children's shampoo, just use a very, very small dollop and your wig will be happy and okay. :]

As for your 'flippy' problem.. might I suggest pinning some rollers into where you want the flip, clipping them on so they'll stay, dousing with hairspray and letting them out? I'm not exactly sure how effective it would be, but that's what I would try first.

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Does it work? Awesome. I have a feeling the specialty color-treatment shampoo I use prolly wouldn't be very good for my wigs though, it likes to dye things red.. including my hands XD;
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
Cora
Shine Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Does it work? Awesome. I have a feeling the specialty color-treatment shampoo I use prolly wouldn't be very good for my wigs though, it likes to dye things red.. including my hands XD;
Use a general shampoo for "normal" hair, not anything fancy like color-treatment or volumizing or whatever. Regular shampoo for human hair will work fine on a wig.

Just get a bucket or fill a sink with warm water and use about the same amount of shampoo as you would on your own hair. If there's a lot of product in the wig, let it soak for a few hours. Check to see that the product has come out - you might have to rub a little bit - and then drain the basin and rinse the wig thoroughly to get rid of any extra soap. let the wig dry completely (ideally on a wig head) before combing it.

The wig should mostly retain the shape it had - if you're worried, wash it in mostly room temperature or cool water instead of warm.
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
rhymechan
Whiny Brat

:3 I love you allll so much! I was afraid to wash my wig until now! Thank yous! (goes off an washes wig)

JPop Summit Fest 2014
Nanase Haruka (Free!)

Japan Expo 2014
Day 1- Punk!Eren (SNK)
Day 2- Nanase Haruka (Free!)
Day 3- Medusa (Soul Eater)
rhymechan is offline   Reply With Quote