Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
nessabutterfly

Baby cosplay! Share your ideas

Any other parents out there enjoy dressing up their kids at cons? Anyone who dreams of having kids to dress up someday?

Both of my kids went to their first con before they turned 3 months. They'll both willingly wear whatever craziness I put them into, including hats, hoods, bulky stuff. My son (almost 3) likes "costumes" better than "normal" people and gets very excited when he hears about cons (though we leave him with his grandparents a lot right now-- he's at the disruptive stage).

What are your favourite baby costumes-- either things you've dressed your children as, or things you want to. Leave a link to the costume if it's posted!

For Halloween this year my kids will be Curious George (Grandpa will be the Man in the yellow hat--daddy's out of the country) and my daughter will be Twink to go along with my Rainbow Brite.

Past costumes include:

Son:
Plushie Takuto from Fullmoon: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1368682/
Pupcake from the original Strawberry Shortcake: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/100037/
Detective Kun Kun from Rozen Maiden: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1449030/
White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1814811/

I eventually want to make him Max (Where the Wild things are), Child Ryuuki (Saiunkoku Monagatari), Abu (Alladin), Aang (Avatar), and a WHOLE LOT MORE!

Daughter:
Small Lady Serenity from Sailor Moon: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/156590/

Eventually she will be With/Wiz (D.N. Angel), Yuki (The Cat Returns), Mei (My Neighbour Totoro), Momo (Avatar), and of course, many other versions of ChibiUsa/ Small Lady!

So list them off. What creative kids costumes have you come up with?

Unread 09-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
~H~
Original H

@nessa: Your kids are too cute!

I haven't dressed my little guy up just yet.....he keeps growing so quickly that I'm afraid that by the time I make something he will outgrow it >_<. I also have been wanting to dress mine up as Max from 'Where the Wild Things Are' (we've got a Wild Things theme happening in his room right now ^_-).

I've also considered getting him some camo gear and making him a mini Solid Snake (to go with my Eva), and making him a striped diaper so that he can be Ten-chan (to go with my Lum).

My favorite notion however, is to dress him up like Toad from Super Mario Bros. and wear my Miss Mario costume with him. If I can figure out a way to keep a large mushroom on his head then this one might actually happen @_@.
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
nessabutterfly

I know what you mean about them growing so quickly. Most of my son's costumes in the first year were worn to one convention apiece. The second year they made it through the season fitting a little big at the beginning and a little tight at the end. He can finally make it a whole season now. I'm just waiting until he's big enough to manage a wig so he can be Ryuuki! http://img120.imageshack.us/i/saiunk...ku%20flashback

Toad would be a really cute costume-- maybe make the core of the hat inflatable? A spot to put in a balloon and blow it up (so you can put a new one every time) then just use a little batting around the outside for shape-- it would make it a LOT lighter-- and that's the main issue for keeping it on (and it won't hurt his delicate neck). The actual way to secure it is easy-- either a chin strap or a whole hood style hat that it's secured to.

I once planned to make a Mario for my son to go with my husband's mario http://www.cosplay.com/costume/156755/ but it didn't get done in time. Could still do it. The plan was that the baby is mario and daddy is super mario. Have to make my peach too-- have all the fabric for it.
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Tampopo_Hoshi
たんぽ&amp;

Bringing your kids to a con at three months? It's hard enought to take them anywhere at that age but a con? I don't know how you survived.

I dressed my little one up as a pikachu at the last con I went to. I cosplayed Ash. Thankfully we didn't wear the costumes for too long, because I could barely walk to steps without hearing "Oh my gosh a baby pikachu! How cute!"

I definitely plan on doing more cosplays with her. I may re do the Ash and Pikachu cosplay for Halloween. Next for San Japan, I going to cosplay Hikaru from Magic Knight Rayearth and she will be Mokona. She'll be two by then. :3
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
nessabutterfly

Tampopo: I don't have much choice about bringing my little ones along. I nurse, so if I go, they go. 3 months isn't too hard at all (Have to cover their ears during loud applause or music in panels/events). Other than crying or spitting up on your costume, there's not much harm they can do. Also, it means you have a stroller to haul all your junk around in-- hurrah!
2 Year olds on the other hand-- they really take a lot of work! Running away, throwing tantrums, yanking on costumes/wigs. Sigh. My son spent most of this year's con season with his grandparents.

baby Pikachu-- that sounds adorable! I know what you mean about not being able to walk. I picked a totally blank time in my schedule to wear Neo Queen Serenity and put the baby in Small lady because I knew we'd never move-- and we didn't. I got about 100 feet from the bathroom in the first half hour we were in costume. 20 pics, walk a few steps, 20 pics. Sigh. Still, it was a lot of fun!

Mokona will be so cute! Watch out for that lovely 2 year old stage though!
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Perhaps a moogle?

^_^ Like a white fleece onsie (sp?) with the little purple batwings on the back? then you could put a red pompom on the hood.

Unread 09-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
-Nayami-
Makai tenjou!

I want a baby girl to dress up as Ponyo, goldfish version. And when she's a toddler, she can be the child version.
Unread 09-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
distantarray

I'd kill to see a GOOD Lulu with a moogle outfit for her child in her arms.

Can't go wrong with Nel from Bleach either.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...47-385-500.jpg
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
VivaLaNinja

Well, she's not much of a baby anymore but, my younger cousin (she just turned 12) is interested in my con goings and wants to join me! I really want to take her as Misa Misa or maybe Kagome from Inuyasha but, I don't know how I'll convince her mother ;-;
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
SukishoIsLove

I always love seeing babies cosplay, they're just so cute. ^^ When I am ready to have kids I plan to dress them up. Maybe as one of the fruits basket characters, like momiji or young kyo.

Future Cosplay:
Asuna - SAO
Chihaya - Chihayafuru
Kasahara - Toshokan Sensou: Kakumei no Tsubasa
Sinbad - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLaNinja View Post
Well, she's not much of a baby anymore but, my younger cousin (she just turned 12) is interested in my con goings and wants to join me! I really want to take her as Misa Misa or maybe Kagome from Inuyasha but, I don't know how I'll convince her mother ;-;
Jus tell her it's a costume party (it sounds better than animation convention for some reason to parents)
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
SakuraxShizuka_

Hopefully some time next year, I'm going to have my baby brother, four next year, to be Little Prince lulu! (Lelouch) from Code Geass.
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
MDA
Destiny Productions

Whenever I have children I'll dress them up as creatures and chibi versions of characters that I would love to see a child do.

For a girl:
Ichigo from Tokyo Mew Mew
Rider from Fate/stay night
Larxene from Kingdom Hearts
Chii from Chobits (a schoolgirl version probably)
Azmaria from Chrono Crusade

For a boy:
Roxas from Kingdom Hearts
Toushiro Hitsugaya from Bleach
Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy VII (you gotta admit, it'd be pretty damn cute)
Ritsuka Aoyagi from Loveless (child with cat ears = super cute)
Baby Harry Potter

Either:
Red XIII Gijinka from Final Fantasy VII
Moogle from Final Fantasy
Pokémon Gijinka

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
sweetnsassy
*swish swish stab*

Well, when my nephew is born, I already have plans to dress him up as Shippo. My brother has some cosplay plans of his own when the baby is born.

WIP cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (earth kindgom): 90%
Toph Bei Fong (fire nation): 90%

Future cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (Bei Fong estate gown):0%
Haruhi Fujioka (final episode ballgown): 0%
Ciel Phantomhive (green suit): 0%
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

You might want to do ChibiChibi instead of Chibiusa since your daughter is so young. Plus, that would be really cute!