Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Unread 10-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
papertiger1010

A Big Idea for Comic Cosplay: JUSTICE FAIR

Hola! Okay, this is a big idea, but may not be a new idea, so bear with me...

I have performed at both the Pennsylvania and the Maryland Renaissance Faires, and had a fantastic time working both. Most of the people show up in Renaissance / Medieval outfits, but often you'll some spill over: fantasy (elf ears, wizard staves), georgian (tri-corner hats, wigs), victorian (normal & steam punk), and more pirates than I can count (also Georgian). However, once in a blue moon, you'll get video-gamer cosplayers (final fantasy, assassin's creed) and even a few super heroes (today we had the flash, captain america, and the greastest american hero.) Which brings me to my idea:

A Ren-Faire for comic fans. It would, in truth, be about 2/3rds a Comic Convention, but it would differ in a few key areas:

* Have trained actors, skilled at improving with adults and kids, interacting with patrons. Given the royalties & copyrights, they are likely to be Original heroes, rather than established ones. There could heroes of all types (classic, modern/edgy, mystical, occult, japanese senshi/sentai). Even more fun, you could have villains (maybe out recruiting henchmen,) and towns people (the ace female reporter, the cub photographer, the perpetually kidnapped mayor). There would a character community (ex. The City of New Manchester), interaction, and a sense of setting. Also, the major actors would have stage-fighting experience. {Which brings us to:}

* A set plot line, with shows at various points of the day (beginning, end, maybe a middle) Very simple of course, but there would be a theme throughout the day, which bends how the heroes interact with patrons: maybe the villain's hidden clues as to their location, and require a scavenger hunt around mid-day to solve it. Include a stunt spetacular show, with falls, action, and some light SFX (lights, collapsing boxes, maybe a zip line)

* Shops/Activities: yeah, while you'd have the normal comic sellers and merchandise sellers, you'd also have costume sale and rental. Have a rock-climbing wall for 'DIY spider climbing,' as well as a 'human fly' wall. Organize a one-day hero LARP for patrons who are rpgers, as well as a gaming room. Or a Sci-Fi-rific Laser Tag area, for laser battles (with future tech!) Anything, really.

Length: A weekend... maybe a 3 day weekend.

What to call it?: For lack of a better name, let's call it 'Justice Fair'. (A terrible pun, I know.)

How long time this becomes reality?: Eh, might be a long time. Right now, it's just a pipe dream, but if you like the idea, a few things would help make it come true:

1. Would you go it?

2. Would Original hero characters (if well conceived) hold your interest, or would it only work for you if the actors dressed up as established heroes (DC, Marvel, etc) ? (Cosplayers could come as whoever they like, of course.)

3. Do you live within a few hours drive of the Mid-Atlantic Area, USA? (PA to NC... this is not a deal breaker, but I happen to live in Virginia, so this region is probably the first place I'd think to hold it.)

4. Hail Mary Pass: Do you, or someone you know, happen to run a small Comic Convention, and might be interested in adding 'renny' elements to an existing convention? Or fail a current one, have you ever helped set up a con before?

Let me know what you think... if you like the idea, pass it on!

Dave 'Paper Tiger'
papertiger1010 is offline   Reply With Quote