Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.85 average.
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #61
FLIPINOMAD
The Geeky Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorima View Post
FILIPINOMAD:
Yeah, I agree that the best way to evangelize isn't to force someone into listening to you, or threaten them...that's not how Jesus would do it. After the sermon on the mount he allowed the people to walk away from him and even asked his 12 disciples "...Do you want to leave me too?" (John 6:67)
He didn't chase after them, waving his hands in the air saying, "The Lord hates you! Come back and he'll love you again" (because it's common knowledge that "we love because he first loved us" (1 John 4:19) and he always will, unconditionally. But hell also corresponds with God's love. Why would God force someone to be with him for eternity if they didn't want to. Therefore there is hell.) or even "Oh, no! Come back! I take it back! That's not what I meant!" So yeah. You can see that it's obviously not effective for one to force people into believing, and for another it's not Christ-like. He gave us the freedom to say yes or no to him. That freedom is his desire to have our yes, be a yes from the deepest part of our being. When we say yes to him it's called love.

But then again FILIPINOMAD, there are people who get offended at the sight of you praying or offering help (especially in front of an abortion clinic) or wearing a cross or t-shirt that advocates Christ and if I were to try to appease all their offended attitudes, I wouldn't be doing a very good job of being a Christian. I was just trying to avoid the slippery slope of political-correctness that takes the focus away from Jesus and onto ourselves and our reputation in the eyes of others. I already said that forcing or threatening isn't a good evangelization tool, but I will say that sometimes you need to be that John the Baptist, not caring about what other's will think of you, but about the salvation of their souls. That's how I came back home to the Catholic Church - by listening to the reformed drug-addict/alcoholic/homeless-man Father Corapi even when it was hard to listen. But I wanted to change, I wanted answers. Some people who aren't open to that just need our prayers and a Christian witness, not necessarily done through words.

All in God's time.
Pray at Appropriate Times

Hardcore Gamer and Otaku, Half-Japanese and Half Filipino.
FLIPINOMAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #62
Arale-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorima View Post
FILIPINOMAD:
But then again FILIPINOMAD, there are people who get offended at the sight of you praying or offering help (especially in front of an abortion clinic) or wearing a cross or t-shirt that advocates Christ and if I were to try to appease all their offended attitudes, I wouldn't be doing a very good job of being a Christian. I was just trying to avoid the slippery slope of political-correctness that takes the focus away from Jesus and onto ourselves and our reputation in the eyes of others. I already said that forcing or threatening isn't a good evangelization tool, but I will say that sometimes you need to be that John the Baptist, not caring about what other's will think of you, but about the salvation of their souls. That's how I came back home to the Catholic Church - by listening to the reformed drug-addict/alcoholic/homeless-man Father Corapi even when it was hard to listen. But I wanted to change, I wanted answers. Some people who aren't open to that just need our prayers and a Christian witness, not necessarily done through words.

All in God's time.
You make a good point. The other day a kid was kicked out of class for drawing what Christmas meant to him. He drew a picture of Jesus on the cross. Now, they want to test this child for being mentally unstable. There are times to sit back and then there are times to stand. As Christians, we can't keep sitting back while the rest of the world is doing what they want without caring. As my pastor says, "Everyone else is coming out of the closet. We might as well, too". He's perfectly right.

God says we should share our faith and not be afraid of what will happen to us. Christians in Western societies think it's hard to share the Gospel and the worse that happens to them is being kicked out of class or made fun of. Think about Christians in other countries who face persecution and death. Soon, there will come a time where that will be going on Western societies. Just take a look at what's going on now. In America, they are trying to get laws passed that could get a person locked up for speaking against gay marriage. This is not the time to be afraid, because God did not give us the spirit of fear. This is the time that we need to stand more than ever.

Standing up for what you believe in doesn't mean you have to have a self righteous attitude. Sometimes I think Christians, especially young Christians, get that idea. It means you live your beliefs and when something or someone tries to test your faith, you're ready to give an answer. Always remember that we don't have to please anyone but God. At the end of the day, that's what's it's all about. By sharing our faith, we are pleasing Him. That's what He wants us to do. He wants us to do it with the confidence that He gave us. I know it's hard, especially if you're shy or just not used to it. That's why we have the Holy Spirit to help us say the right words and give us that confidence.

One thing that I don't like about this new kind of Christian movement is the fact that some Christians talk very little or don't mention Hell at all. Let me say that I don't support walking up to people and condemning them to Hell. Only they and God know their hearts and where they are going. But Hell is a real place and it needs to be talked about. Don't give anyone any false hope and leave out Hell. Jesus spoke about Hell a lot. I know it's uncomfortable to talk about and not a lot of people like to hear about it. That does not change the fact that Hell is a place where they could end up. I also don't support scaring people into Salvation as I believe people should choose Salvation based on the love that Jesus gave us. I do think we need to share that Hell is a very real place and that God does not want any of His children there.

In regards to prayer, I don't believe there is an inappropriate time to pray. I feel if the Holy Spirit leads you to pray anywhere and at anytime, then you should do so. Prayer doesn't mean you always have to bow your head and close your eyes, either. You can still communicate with God without doing that.

So, I say all of that to say this, it's not necessarily what you do, but it's how you do it. God as blessed us with His Word, the Holy Spirit, and discernment to handle these difficult situations. We just have to live in obedience to Him and He will help us.

Last edited by Arale-chan : 12-21-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Unread 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #63
babymia334
Mia Mia

Hey Just wanted to say I love God too! It is nice to see there is a Christian forum!
babymia334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #64
Arale-chan

Welcome, babymia!
Unread 12-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #65
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

*Raises hand*

Yes, I'm a Christian too. (Baptist/Lutheran.)

I'm glad to see a forum like this. Praise the Lord!

Yes, it's funny how some people believe that Christians don't cosplay or think that they can't be anime, manga, or sci-fi fans. Christians do come from all walks of life, and what unites them together is their faith in Jesus Christ.

Besides Vic Mignola, there are also notable Christians in the media as well throughout modern history.

Here are some very small examples:

1. J. R. R. Tolkien: Created the "Lord Of The Rings".

2. C. S. Lewis: Created "The Chronicles of Narnia"

3. Jules Verne: Wrote the famous books- A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea, and The Mysterious Island.

4. Al Hartley: Comic book writer/artist who drew Archie comics during the late 1960's and 1970's. He Later created the "Spire Christian Comics" book line.

5. Timothy Zahn- Famous for writing Star Wars- "Heir To The Empire" books.

As for Deuteronomy 22:5....

I don't have a problem with M-F or F-M crossplay. It's really no different from a stage actor dressing up in various different costumes. One has to remember the historical context when this law was given to the Israelites. Some of the young men and women of the 12 tribes of Israel were being influenced by the Canaanites, (Especially with the Canaanite pagan rituals) and were committing immoral acts, and prostituting themselves while dressed in the opposite gender's clothing. Some of those ancient Canaanite rituals were pretty horrific, and some engaged in ritual cannibalism, sacrificing their children to their dark gods, (demons) as well as mating with beasts. This is why the Lord had to give the Israelites a set of very strict rules in order for them to survive the wilderness, and to avoid from being influenced by the decadent culture of the Canaanites. Keep in mind, that Moses was leading a vast group of mostly shepherds, farmers & simple tribesmen, (Who were quick to resort to violence) thru miles of wilderness and uncharted territory. Many of them were also illiterate, and it was a very demanding job for Moses to keep them constantly in check.

Unless the cosplayer is going to use crossplay for the purpose or an intent to commit an immoral act or engage in horrific rituals like human sacrifices, I really don't think that particular verse in Deutoronomy was really talking about crossplayers wanting to dress up as their favorite anime or manga characters for fun. When one tries to apply that verse at an anime convention, it's really taking it out of context. (Remember the word "Cosplay" was coined by Nov Takahashi in 1984, and it was meant to subtitute the word, "Costume" with a cooler & catchier name.)

This is why some of the laws in Deuteronomy may seem strange to us today. Especially the part about being forbidden to eat pork or scavenging animals. The simple reason for it was that it was for sanitary reasons, and the Israelite tribes didn't know how to cook certain foods properly. (Some foods can kill a person if it is improperly prepared.) Back then, they didn't have running water, indoor plumbing, microwave ovens, refrigerators, a supermarket, or even modern cooking utensils so they had to be very selective as what they can't or can eat. (The pigs back then were also were a lot bigger, and meaner back then.) If they got sick from eating foods that wasn't prepared properly, they weren't any hospitals to go to. Medical technology at that time was rudimentary at best, and even a simple first aid kit didn't exist back then.

This is why when Christ came, it was called the "New Testament". It was time for a new covenant between God and his children. (For both Jews & Gentiles alike.) The Pharisees gave Christ a hard time because they kept insisting that he should follow the Law the way they do. The apostle Paul also wrote extensively in his letters to the early Christians about Christ being more important than the Law and salvation was only thru faith in Christ, and not by works or by following the law.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #66
~Sango-chan~

Hey all *waves*
Another cos-girl who loves the Lord
I am also loving your posts on here guys ^_^
(Esp. the thoughts on M>F crossplaying having a double standard...so true!)
~Sango-chan~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #67
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

Hello! *waves hand* I too am a Christian cosplayer! I'm so happy to see a thread like this! I love Jesus my Savior very much, he has blessed me so much in everything that I do, even in cosplay. I don't think I could cosplay without the Lord, He gives me the guidance to make costumes and the courage to act. God is such a BIG part of my life, I don't know what I would ever do without him. I love my heavenly Daddy.~ It's so nice to see other cosplayers with Jesus in their lives!
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #68
Arale-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
*Raises hand*

Yes, I'm a Christian too. (Baptist/Lutheran.)

I'm glad to see a forum like this. Praise the Lord!

Yes, it's funny how some people believe that Christians don't cosplay or think that they can't be anime, manga, or sci-fi fans. Christians do come from all walks of life, and what unites them together is their faith in Jesus Christ.

Besides Vic Mignola, there are also notable Christians in the media as well throughout modern history.

Here are some very small examples:

1. J. R. R. Tolkien: Created the "Lord Of The Rings".

2. C. S. Lewis: Created "The Chronicles of Narnia"

3. Jules Verne: Wrote the famous books- A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea, and The Mysterious Island.

4. Al Hartley: Comic book writer/artist who drew Archie comics during the late 1960's and 1970's. He Later created the "Spire Christian Comics" book line.

5. Timothy Zahn- Famous for writing Star Wars- "Heir To The Empire" books.

As for Deuteronomy 22:5....

I don't have a problem with M-F or F-M crossplay. It's really no different from a stage actor dressing up in various different costumes. One has to remember the historical context when this law was given to the Israelites. Some of the young men and women of the 12 tribes of Israel were being influenced by the Canaanites, (Especially with the Canaanite pagan rituals) and were committing immoral acts, and prostituting themselves while dressed in the opposite gender's clothing. Some of those ancient Canaanite rituals were pretty horrific, and some engaged in ritual cannibalism, sacrificing their children to their dark gods, (demons) as well as mating with beasts. This is why the Lord had to give the Israelites a set of very strict rules in order for them to survive the wilderness, and to avoid from being influenced by the decadent culture of the Canaanites. Keep in mind, that Moses was leading a vast group of mostly shepherds, farmers & simple tribesmen, (Who were quick to resort to violence) thru miles of wilderness and uncharted territory. Many of them were also illiterate, and it was a very demanding job for Moses to keep them constantly in check.

Unless the cosplayer is going to use crossplay for the purpose or an intent to commit an immoral act or engage in horrific rituals like human sacrifices, I really don't think that particular verse in Deutoronomy was really talking about crossplayers wanting to dress up as their favorite anime or manga characters for fun. When one tries to apply that verse at an anime convention, it's really taking it out of context. (Remember the word "Cosplay" was coined by Nov Takahashi in 1984, and it was meant to subtitute the word, "Costume" with a cooler & catchier name.)

This is why some of the laws in Deuteronomy may seem strange to us today. Especially the part about being forbidden to eat pork or scavenging animals. The simple reason for it was that it was for sanitary reasons, and the Israelite tribes didn't know how to cook certain foods properly. (Some foods can kill a person if it is improperly prepared.) Back then, they didn't have running water, indoor plumbing, microwave ovens, refrigerators, a supermarket, or even modern cooking utensils so they had to be very selective as what they can't or can eat. (The pigs back then were also were a lot bigger, and meaner back then.) If they got sick from eating foods that wasn't prepared properly, they weren't any hospitals to go to. Medical technology at that time was rudimentary at best, and even a simple first aid kit didn't exist back then.

This is why when Christ came, it was called the "New Testament". It was time for a new covenant between God and his children. (For both Jews & Gentiles alike.) The Pharisees gave Christ a hard time because they kept insisting that he should follow the Law the way they do. The apostle Paul also wrote extensively in his letters to the early Christians about Christ being more important than the Law and salvation was only thru faith in Christ, and not by works or by following the law.
Thank you for this post! You've explained a lot and I'm sure you've answered a lot of people's questions. I am glad to see someone know their Bible and history so well. You are absolutely right about the New Testament. Sometimes people can get confused because they read the Old Testament and think we still have to follow some of those laws. I think for the most part, we should follow those laws (The Ten Commandments), because Jesus said He did not come to do away with the law, but to add to it. Things like what type of food we should eat, for example, should be left up to our discretion. In regards to pork, I know pork was very difficult to clean back then, but I also heard another reason why they didn't eat it was because pigs eat everything. They only wanted animals that eat grass, because those animals are healthier. That's one of the reasons why I don't eat much pork.

Welcome to everyone that is new! Feel free to keep posting so we can this thread alive!
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #69
SapphireChaos

hello to all the new people who posted on this thread; it's great to hear what you all have to say. And a belated Merry Christmas!!
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - 0%
[?] Jun (Avatar the Last Airbender) - 0%
SapphireChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #70
Arale-chan

Same to you Sapphire! If anyone has any prayer requests for this week or the new year, feel free to post them. You don't have to go into detail. They can be unspoken or silent requests if you want them to be.
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #71
Soren Talen

Hey there. I'm a Catholic cosplayer, and I wanted to thank you guys for this board. Sometimes I feel a bit shaky about my faith, and seeing all this conviction helped me.

If there's one way to tell a Christian that's cosplaying, it's that they're always there to lend a hand if someone needs it. And, y'know, not tear their self esteem apart like the drama wolves that lurk out there. ^^

Just wondering, but how do you guys feel about the occasional Jesus cosplayer that pops up? I'm not sure how to react. I mean, we're supposed to walk in his footsteps, but that's a little more closely than I think he meant. In the end I guess I don't mind, as long as the cosplayer represents him well.
Unread 12-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #72
~Sango-chan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arale-chan View Post
Same to you Sapphire! If anyone has any prayer requests for this week or the new year, feel free to post them. You don't have to go into detail. They can be unspoken or silent requests if you want them to be.
Hmm, how about a general prayer that everyone sees what God wants from them. A prayer for guidance, basically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren Talen View Post
Just wondering, but how do you guys feel about the occasional Jesus cosplayer that pops up? I'm not sure how to react. I mean, we're supposed to walk in his footsteps, but that's a little more closely than I think he meant. In the end I guess I don't mind, as long as the cosplayer represents him well.
Hmm, I actually enjoy the Jesus cosplayer (as the first convention I went to had one, and it was a complete surprise ). It's a visual reminder that Jesus is with us everywhere ^_^ and that he loves everyone
~Sango-chan~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #73
IzzyTheInsane
Ninja In Training

My dad is a baptist pastor! Yaaaay for Christians!!!
IzzyTheInsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #74
Arale-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren Talen View Post
Hey there. I'm a Catholic cosplayer, and I wanted to thank you guys for this board. Sometimes I feel a bit shaky about my faith, and seeing all this conviction helped me.

If there's one way to tell a Christian that's cosplaying, it's that they're always there to lend a hand if someone needs it. And, y'know, not tear their self esteem apart like the drama wolves that lurk out there. ^^

I feel if the person is doing it when the right heart, then I don't have a problem with it. It's really no different than going to an Easter or Christmas play. If they are doing it to mock him, then I don't agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Sango-chan~ View Post
Hmm, how about a general prayer that everyone sees what God wants from them. A prayer for guidance, basically

Hmm, I actually enjoy the Jesus cosplayer (as the first convention I went to had one, and it was a complete surprise ). It's a visual reminder that Jesus is with us everywhere ^_^ and that he loves everyone
OK, we'll pray for that. That's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyTheInsane View Post
My dad is a baptist pastor! Yaaaay for Christians!!!
Welcome.
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #75
jambreaker
Narrator for Bad Mimes

I asked my pastor (Lutheran) about cosplay, and he said that it's perfectly fine -- the things that I won't do include: go to church in make-up or costume, or partake in anything close to a seance or other ritual even if it's 'for funsies', or crossplay as a female character (this being outside my comfort zone and being a 6'4" husky male with a baritone voice would make people wonder WTF I'm doing).