Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Best method for cutting Foam Board?

Help.

I know the obvious, an exacto knife, but this is double thick foam board and while im sure i could manage with an exacto I would rather not risk hurting myself as standard stuff is hard enough to cut through.

Does anyone have any suggestions other then me taking a jig saw to it?
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
AznTranquility
Procrastinator

A dremel?

Xacto knives come in different sizes. It's pretty easy to cut the standard sized foamboard. perhaps your blade isn't a fresh one?

MomoCos FB page progress photos!
Twitter
AznTranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
howlsathemoon

Xacto knives, also box cutters, make sure to keep sharp blades. I usualy change out my blades at the first sign of it pulling the board...
howlsathemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

A hot wire cutting tool is the handiest thing I've ever used. If I never hear the SKREEK SKREEK of foam board being sawed again I'll be #$%!@#$ delighted.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
howlsathemoon

definatly hot knife for regular foam board... but if it's foam "core" board you need to use a Xacto....
howlsathemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznTranquility View Post
A dremel?
I don't recommend a dremel, having used one in propmaking myself before. They're not much good for cutting straight lines, since their intention is detail work and curves. I'm seconding/thirding/whatever sharp exacto blades or a hot knife.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Foxberry
is a fluffy kitsune

I've had to cut through foamboard before: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2228828/
It was pretty damn thick, however I'm not certain how thick yours is, you say double thick do you have an actual thickness number or whatever?

However I agree with the others, exacto knives and box cutters, despite the thickness is going to be your best shot. You can get different sorts of exactos different sizes, shapes, etc, and while your hand is going to hurt regardless, you're best off using an exacto... I say this because you will have better control over the knife and less of a chance of injuring yourself.

Current:
Kinyoobi: Ocarina of Time Link
Sac Anime (!?)*: Joltik
Anime Destiny: OoT Link
Bay Area Conventions Meetups (Various)
*Sac Anime Summer is undecided.
Foxberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
alliebeth
Show me your teeth.

Use an exacto knife, but use the ones that have the breakable tips. Make it come out 2-3 blades worth, and score the top and bottom of the board as deeply as you can. Just keep at it until you get to the center, and then use the knife regularly. That's the only thing that worked for me..just score it from either direction until it's really thin.
[/color][/size]
alliebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Thanks for all the advice guys, scoring with my regular exacto seems to be working the best. Sadly lots of curves = lots to cut out, hopefully I'll finish today...lol.

For those that were curious, this sucker is 2cm thick of the poster foam board. Thats about 3/4 of an inch of foam to cut through @__@
Unread 10-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post

For those that were curious, this sucker is 2cm thick of the poster foam board. Thats about 3/4 of an inch of foam to cut through @__@
You'll be fine. I cut through four inches of the stuff with an exacto knife.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Thanks ^^

I managed to get it all cut out and LOVE it, now of course its the thinner stuff that is causing problems on the project.
Unread 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
~Angelspit~

Mangochutney
is right a hot wire cutter is the best tool and if you use the ones made with thick wire you cand shape the wire while its cool to create different 3d details, and the thin wire ones are perfect for straight lines.
~Angelspit~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
hayashiox

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys, scoring with my regular exacto seems to be working the best. Sadly lots of curves = lots to cut out, hopefully I'll finish today...lol.

Use a ruler also.
hayashiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #14
daguru
(SebastiAn Remix)

If you think you;ll be doing a lot of straight edges in the future, I highly recommend graduating from an exacto knife to a matte board cutter
http://www.opentip.com/Office-Produc...-p-756796.html
Pair that with a matte board rule (long ruler with a raised edge about 4mm thick) and you're unstoppable.

Note to self: "Napalm sticks to babies" is not a good campaign slogan
daguru is offline   Reply With Quote