Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 08-19-2003, 07:14 PM   #1
Nine
The busty one!

Question You think I can avoid any stereotypes by crossplaying Faye?

Ok.. a few of my friends are planning to put together a small Cowboy Bebop group, and I want to crossplay Faye. Everytime I bring up "I'm planning to cosplay Faye!" almost EVERYONE makes a comment about Man-Faye from AX, and it REALLY pisses me off.

I'm definately not going to be doing a half-assed job of the costume. Some of you may know that I take my crossplay serious and with characters that show skin, I wear a skin coloured body suit... but I have a fear that if I wear it to a con, I'll get at least a few comments related to Man-Faye, and I'm not up for that.

Do you think I should drop doing Faye because of the stereotype left by the Man-Faye? Do you think me cosplaying Faye is copying him? I'd like your honest answers, and don't worry about being offencive because I really don't care. lol
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2003, 07:25 PM   #2
Delirium-Zer0
Gainax Girl

In all honesty, I'd avoid it if I were you. OTOH, if you do an extraordinary job with it, you'll be the stuff of legend rather than ridicule. You should, though, probably wait until the Man-Faye joke dies off a bit. Right now might just be a bad time to do a Faye crossplay.
Delirium-Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
IAmVashTS
Doughnut Fiend

on one note, i'd forget the Faye idea. on a second note, i really hate to put down other people's cosplay; but personally, i wouldn't be selling that Vash coat.
IAmVashTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
Eliza
Hannin wa Rika-chan!

I personally think that you should be able to cos/crossplay any character you like... I can't see how dressing up as Faye Valentine would be copying, because I'm sure Man-Faye wasn't the first person to dress up as her...

As to the comments, yeah, you'll probably get some 0_x but you could always politely tell people that you don't like the comparison, especially when you know you're going to work really hard to portray her.

so I say go for it; that's my opinion ^^;; but it's ultimately your call.
Eliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
hachikin
the onion girl

i say go for it, just know that you probably WILL get some people making dumb comments. but if, like you said, you take your crossplay really seriously, you'll probably look fabulous & give people something to think about besides man-faye! ^_^
hachikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 08:30 PM   #6
Menchi
Tee hee <3

heh i say go for it nine...any mindless idiot stupid enough to make comments isnt worth listening to. i know ya wont do some half assed many faye antic an will be doin it to be more passable vs "haha look at my hairy a** arent i funny". me personally i think if something is well done it will far surpass any half baked attempt at something even if not as popular. you went as sailro moon once, even though sialor bubba has been doin iut for liek what 5 years? i wouldnt let any criticism get to ya...an go for it being crossplay in general seems to get alot of jokes amade about iut but if ya want to cosplay as a char i think its not bad if done *in taste*
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 08:35 PM   #7
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

I don't think you'd be copying him, and I don't think there is anything wrong with you crossplaying Faye, but Man-Faye is rather notorious right now. Not only WILL you get the inevitable comments and comparisons, but there will also be people who have never seen him in person or pics who will assume YOU are Man-Faye.

It's up to you, but I'm not sure it's the best idea at the moment, unless you can blithely ignore the Man-Faye comments around you. (I know I'd much rather see YOUR Faye costume - which I'm sure would be tastefully done - than skanky butt-pelt Man-Faye. >.<) At some point, I hope "Man-Faye" will move on to other things, and the big deal over that will die down...
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 08:40 PM   #8
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmVashTS
on a second note, i really hate to put down other people's cosplay; but personally, i wouldn't be selling that Vash coat.
Blunt observation:
No, you really DON'T hate to put down other people's cosplay; in fact, you seem by that quote to rather enjoy it. Otherwise you would never have posted that uncalled-for off-topic comment in this Faye Valentine crossplay thread.

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 08-19-2003 at 08:44 PM.
Unread 08-19-2003, 08:46 PM   #9
IAmVashTS
Doughnut Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisu-sama
Blunt observation:
No, you really DON'T hate to put down other people's cosplay; in fact, you seem to enjoy it. Otherwise you would never have posted that uncalled-for off-topic comment in this Faye Valentine crossplay thread.
actually, i really DO hate to put other people's cosplay down. and the post wasn't off the topic. I took a look at his website, and decided to make a comment about it IN ADDITION TO making a comment about the whole Faye thing. which is why the Faye comment was FIRST

and on an unrelated topic; the coat isn't bad, i just wouldn't be selling it.

Last edited by IAmVashTS : 08-19-2003 at 08:50 PM.
IAmVashTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 08:58 PM   #10
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

You're definitely not "copying" Man-Faye, any more than the tons of girls crossplaying Kenshin or InuYasha are copying each other. Faye is a popular character, so it's not like it's really one person's trademark cosplay, even if there is one person somewhat notorious at the moment.

Yeah, you'll probably get some comments. But that would happen anytime you crossplay, I suppose, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a tasteful, well thought out Faye crossplay, personally. I say go for it.

(Also, I just took a look at your gallery... your Lulu is lovely. )
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 08:58 PM   #11
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Quote:
actually, i really DO hate to put other people's cosplay down. and the post wasn't off the topic. I took a look at his website, and decided to make a comment about it IN ADDITION TO making a comment about the whole Faye thing. which is why the Faye comment was FIRST
Your Faye comment wasn't included in my post of your quote, because THAT is on-topic.

On the other hand, if you looked at Nine's cosplay.com gallery or website and didn't care much for his Vash coat, why would you post it in a Faye Valentive crossplay thread instead of PMing Nine about it?

Edit: (And the rest of this message is now being PMed to YOU - I'm taking my own advice.)

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 08-19-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Unread 08-19-2003, 10:04 PM   #12
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

I don't think it's a good idea right now, for the reason Karisu stated: man-Faye is fresh in everybody's minds right now. Real fresh.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 10:48 PM   #13
Gren
Gender Bender

As long as you do it like a serious Faye costume, and not a more gag-ish (as in joke gag. Not gurk! gurk! so horrific) way like that fantastic Naga costume, I don't think it should be an issue. I

f you wanted to have fun with it, you could put little letter stickers on your bum that say "Not Man-Faye" That would make me laugh and laugh and laugh.
Unread 08-19-2003, 11:43 PM   #14
RHIshida
lol internet

You probably will get some rudeness if you crossplay Faye because of Man-Faye, but really, most people will probably commend on such a great Faye costume because of Man-Faye.
Unread 08-19-2003, 11:45 PM   #15
Nine
The busty one!

Quote:
on a second note, i really hate to put down other people's cosplay; but personally, i wouldn't be selling that Vash coat.
Thanks for the advice! ..but, I actually made that costume for my best friend (the guy wearing it) a month ago, with a limited buget, and he really liked it, so that's all that really matters. ^^; He was really popular at Anime Evolution 2003, in that costume too, so it was well worth the DVD he gave me in return. ^^d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren
If you wanted to have fun with it, you could put little letter stickers on your bum that say "Not Man-Faye" That would make me laugh and laugh and laugh.
LOL! I could have a sign with me saying "I'M NOT MAN-FAYE" or something like that. XD

I'll wait for more advice, but I still really want to cosplay Faye, and won't be actually wearing her to a convention untill April 2004, so hopefully the Man-Faye image will hopefully fade away by then.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote