Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Herr Emit

Velociraptor costume?

hello everybody!

i searched on the internet and found something called "walking with dinosaurs" and it was a show with huge dinosaur puppets that walk around, blink, roar, bite, move and every possible thing you could think of. but what really cathed my eyes was the velociraptor. it wasnt only a puppet, it was actually a costume with a person inside it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WQdJeaAwvy...00/raptors.bmp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtfMIiinJso

as you can see the raptors have movable legs, which are strapped to the users legs. the user is wearing black pants too.
so, what i was thinking is to make a frame of chicken wire, legs of pvc,linked together with zip ties so they can move, and then cover it in paper mache, or plaster bandages or something like that.
now here comes the tricky part. i would like it so that you have a handle in front of you with which you can make its mouth open and close.

any suggestions or hints will be greatly appreciated! =D

Unread 10-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
alterationsbyem

I would think its a simple trigger system controlling the mouth, you obviously would have to size it down from the WDW budget.

As another refrence I would tell you to look at the Lion King puppeteering too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-zj...737E &index=4
Unread 10-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Herr Emit

um with trigger, do you mean like a remote control system? as im not experienced with that stuff at all, i was thinking more of something mechanical.
oh and thanks for the lion king link =D
Unread 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Vetis
Tempter of the Holy...

I was actually trying to figure out something like this when I was rough sketching a Skeksis cosplay that never got off the ground due to laziness on my part, and came up with a pretty simple solution. Did you ever have one of those toys as a kid where you had an animal head on a stick that opened its mouth when you squeezed the trigger at the other end? Just expand that concept with sturdier materials, and if you attach the mechanism to the framework and segment the neck and head pieces, you could even turn the raptor's head side to side and up and down, the amount depending on how flexible your frame is and durability of the materials. Would you be looking out of the chest/neck area, or will your head be in the raptor's head? That would make a huge difference, even though the concept would still work.

I personally would *love* to see a raptor prowling around a con, so I hope you work it out.

Farfarello - Wei▀ Kreuz

Los Lobos Starrk - Bleach

Bandit Keith - YuGiOh

Witch King of Angmar - Lord of the Rings

Kunzite - Sailor Moon

Vetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Airst
Unregistered User

you definitely need to put up your progress pictures .

I second the notion of how cool it would be having a raptor running around a con.
Airst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Herr Emit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airst View Post
you definitely need to put up your progress pictures .

I second the notion of how cool it would be having a raptor running around a con.
jay thank thee xD
when ive been thinking about it more, i think it will be more of a dilophosaurus than a raptor... you know, the dino in jurassic park, the one that kills dennis, spits venom and has those awesomeosaurus frills around the neck. im sorry if i disappoint somebody here...

about the stick toy concept, that is a great idea. the only problem i find with that is making the frame of the neck flexible. if i made it all chicken wire, it woul÷dnt be able to move from side to side and up and down, and i really want that effect. so im having an idea. if i could possibly get some wire or something, i could cut up somewhat rounded chunks of styrofoam or something like that, make one large chunk, and then make the rest a tad smaller than each other, make holes, feed the wire trough and you would have a neck with alot of joints. do you think this is a good idea? i wanna plan as much as possible before i start buying materials.
Unread 10-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
CDF_Vagabond

Well I can tell there is a person inside the Raptor suit but not sure how he got in it and how they hide him in there. the thought in my mind is to build a wooden frame with joints in it but you would have to cover up the frame with laxex prostetics probably I think the guy has some kind of hand controls in the neck that he used to open and shut the mouth on it and the tail was free swinging with a joint.
CDF_Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
Herr Emit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDF_Vagabond View Post
Well I can tell there is a person inside the Raptor suit but not sure how he got in it and how they hide him in there. the thought in my mind is to build a wooden frame with joints in it but you would have to cover up the frame with laxex prostetics probably I think the guy has some kind of hand controls in the neck that he used to open and shut the mouth on it and the tail was free swinging with a joint.
according to the vids ive seen where they speak about the dinos, their mouth movements and such are made by other people off-stage by remote control. but i was planning to have hand controls inside the dino.

edit: oh my gosh, im sorry vetis, i did not read your post very well. yes i was planning to be inside the chest of the dino.

Last edited by Herr Emit : 10-24-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Herr Emit is offline   Reply With Quote