Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
crystaltiara

Inexpensive cosplay items (e.g. wigs) in Japan

Hello everyone. I'm planning to buy some wigs in Japan. I've been to ACOS and a few shops in Akihabara; their selection of wigs is quite impressive and the quality looks good. However, I find them kind of expensive. Are there any shops you know with less expensive - but good quality - wigs, or are the prices in ACOS already quite average? I've seen a few wigs in Tokyu Hands, but I'm not sure about their quality. In any case, if I want to buy wigs, I'll have to start saving up.

Also, I recently saw something interesting in ACOS - elevator insoles, which are placed inside shoes to give the appearance of increased height. Is there anywhere else in Japan where I can buy these? (Because I'm planning to cosplay a tall character, and I'm several inches too short to look accurate.) And are there elevator insoles as high as, say, 6 inches? Are they painful? (I hope not, because I could never get used to high heels...)

Hope someone can help me with these. Thanks in advance!
crystaltiara is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
mixaka
Granter of wishes

Most decent wigs in stores will start around at least 5000yen or so. How much were the ones you saw? There are cheaper wigs starting that sell for about 2000yen or so at Tokyu Hands and Donki but the quality is quite poor and I would not use them as cosplay wigs. Unless you get really lucky you probably won't find any high quality wigs for cheap. And certainly not from any retail store in Japan. Best deals tend to be found via online sellers and/or searching yahoo auctions.

As for the insoles, if they are placed inside the shoe, then I suspect 6 inches would not be feasible. Your shoe would probably not fit at that point (unless you shoe is very big or your feet are very small) If you're looking for height, but can't handle heels, try looking for shoes with thicker soles. Would pretty much be the same thing at the insoles, but with the extra height coming from the soles of the shoes rather than adding something on the inside. You could also do the Japanese thing and opt for huge platforms. I think they look a bit ridiculous and can take away from the overall appeal of a costume, but it's an option.
mixaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
angelreaper

decent or not there realy expincsive and hard to find some that actaly stay together(i jump down the stair's wit them they usauly break)^-^
angelreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #4
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Animate (ACOS) is pretty much the bottom of the line for inexpensive (but still useable) products. Anything cheaper and you're probably going to look like hell >.<;;;

You can get some wigs second hand from auction sites, but after shipping, ACOS is almost always your cheapest bet.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
crystaltiara

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late reply. But thank you so much for your insights. Indeed, the cheap wigs at Tokyu Hands and Don Quijote are of poor quality; I learned them the hard way when I bought a black hime-cut wig at Tokyu Hands. I thought that I'd be able to save money and that it wouldn't be worth it to buy a black wig since my hair is naturally black, but in the end, I ended up buying one at ACOS. But, lilypad114 and kiratsukai; you're right - the ACOS wigs seem to be the cheapest! The wigs in department stores like Tobu were so shockingly expensive - some cost as much as 9000 yen, and those were just normal-colored wigs (brunette/blonde). Compared to the wigs I've gotten from my home country and in Hong Kong, ACOS wigs are still rather pricey, but I've never regretted buying from ACOS because the quality is really good.

As for the insoles, I got a pair and they're pretty comfortable. So far, they haven't broken... and I hope they don't break anytime soon.

Thanks for the advice!
crystaltiara is offline   Reply With Quote