Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
PrincessLum

MLP: Rarity Cutie Mark Advice

I am planning to cosplay as Rarity from MLP. I originally had planned to get a dress that was made of cotton or some sort of easy, sturdy material to sew on (rather than chiffon or tulle or whatever), so I could sew on her cutie mark patch that I bought (since I have no actual sewing talent, which is why I planned to buy a dress, haha). However, then I saw on Amazon a dress that was SO Rarity, that I had to buy it (hopefully it fits when it arrives!), even though the skirt of the dress is tulle over satin.

I am a little concerned that I am going to wreck/rip the tulle when trying to sew on the patch by hand (since, again, I have no actual sewing skills), so I'm trying to think of alternatives of where I could put the cutie mark. I thought maybe I could get a white purse and put it on that or get a necklace with the cutie mark or put it on the white faux fur bolero I also ordered, but I'm not sure if that will look stupid and if it would look better on the skirt of the dress. I also thought maybe I could try to sew it by hand onto the satin of the dress and that you would still be able to see it through the tulle, but again I'm not sure if that will look stupid and if it will be hard to notice the cutie mark with the tulle over it.

Unless maybe the tulle won't rip if I try to sew it on? Again, I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to sewing, so maybe I'm just assuming it will rip the tulle if I try to sew it on, and it actually won't be a problem. I also thought maybe I could stick it on without sewing, like with velcro or fabric glue or something. I'm not sure if the patch is one you can iron-on (I ordered it online and it's shipping now), but I had wanted to secure it more sturdily rather than just ironing it on.

Sorry this is so long, but any advice anyone can give would be most appreciate! :-)

Here's the dress on Amazon's site for reference, if that helps at all: http://www.amazon.com/Dressd-Best-Wo...e+purple+dress

And here's the cutie mark patch I got (although I got it from Ebay, since Amazon's listing for the cutie mark patches seem to be a little screwy, as you can see in the reviews, haha): http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony.../dp/B00E1S2C1C
PrincessLum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Riyko

I made a rarity costume for Halloween and I made a stencil on a sheet of the thin plastic and I just painted the cutie mark on (if you want a picture let me know and I'll add one to my profile here. I say that as it might work better on the tulle then sewing on a patch.

Future Cosplays:
Nightmare (SC4), Huntress (batman), Rarity (MLP:FIM) -90%, Oichi (Samurai Warriors)
Riyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
PrincessLum

Thanks, Riyko! If you could post a picture, I'd really appreciate it! I'm not very talented when it comes to these things, as I mentioned in my original post, so any advice is helpful! :-)

The only thing is I'm not that artistic either, so I'm a little afraid I'd mess up when painting the cutie mark on, although at least her cutie mark is much simpler to draw than some of the others. But maybe I would be more successful at that than attempting to sew onto the tulle.
Unread 05-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Personally I'd say glue it on top of the rhinestones. There would still be some rhinestones that show and it would make the cutie mark more obvious.
While it wouldn't be terrible to sew the cutie mark onto the dress that material would sure not like it and would probably weigh down the skirt.
Unread 05-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
PrincessLum

Oh, wow, ichigo_m! Your Princess Cadence cosplay is beautiful! Did you make it yourself? I wish I had the talent to make something like that! That's a good idea about gluing it onto the rhinestones, because then it would stand out more (and the rhinestones would work/match Rarity's cutie mark). I'm just so afraid I'm going to destroy the dress because I'm totally untalented, but once the dress arrives, maybe I'll play around with it and see how the cutie mark looks in different places before I actually try to attach it. If I were to glue it onto the rhinestones, would I just use a regular hot glue gun? Would that get the patch to stick to the rhinestones? Thanks in advance! :-)
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Thanks! Yes I did make it! It's one of my favorite costumes! (:
I'm sure you'll be able to learn and will be able to make your own stuff some day! (:
And yes I would for sure suggest moving it around a bit before placing it for good and then a hot glue gun should be fine to attach it!

If you think you may want to move the cutie mark or use the dress for something else you could get a pin (like the ones on the backs of brooches) and glue that to the back of the cutie mark, then you could pink it where you want and move it around. (:
Unread 05-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
PrincessLum

The pin is a great idea! That would actually solve a lot of my problems, since I'm so nervous about damaging the dress because I don't know what I'm doing, haha!

And I actually have a sewing machine (I've had it for a year or two). I figured out how to thread it on my own (at least, I think I did it right), but when I actually tried sewing anything the fabric kept jamming under the needle and the thread kept getting all tangled up on the fabric and around the needle. It may have been because I was using some old felt to practice on and it was too thick for it, though....or it could be that I had no idea what I was doing, lol.

So now I just buy used costumes or stock costumes, try to throw something together from other things (like with Rarity), or get store-bought costumes (like from Party City or whatever). One day, I might try to get something commissioned, but I know that can be very expensive (although, a lot of the costumes I end up getting end up being pretty expensive, anyway, haha - like with everything I ended up buying for Rarity, it ended up being probably around $200, lol)

But thanks for your confidence in my ability to learn! It's much appreciated! I don't think I'd ever be able to make anything as amazing as your costumes (I saw all your other photos you have posted on your profile - you're so talented!), but maybe I'll try to use my sewing machine again one day. And, if you have any suggestions of an easy starter costume for someone with absolutely no experience sewing whatsoever and no one to teach her, let me know! :-)
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:43 AM   #8
Riyko

Here's a picture of my costume (i'll get an up close of the cutie mark later) https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...84525714_n.jpg

Future Cosplays:
Nightmare (SC4), Huntress (batman), Rarity (MLP:FIM) -90%, Oichi (Samurai Warriors)
Riyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
PrincessLum

Wow, that's awesome Riyko! I can't believe you painted that on yourself! It looks amazing! I don't think I would have the talent to actually paint something like that one the dress, lol, but your cutie mark looks great! :-)
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Is not using the patch an option? You could always get one of the temporary tattoos. That's what I did for Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. I put it on my upper arm. I think they're still at Hot Topic.
If not, I like the idea of putting it on a purse.
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
PrincessLum

I do have the patch, and I think I'll still use it, but I think I might glue it onto a pin first like ichigo_m suggested and pin it on the dress rather than trying to sew/glue it on (or iron it on - I'm not sure if it irons on or not, but I'd rather have it on more securely). I'm more afraid of ruining the dress, especially because of the tulle and because I'm not very talented when it comes to these things, which is why I was afraid to sew or glue the patch on (or even iron it on, if it can be ironed on). But at least if I mess up the patch gluing it onto a pin, they're fairly inexpensive and I can just buy a new one.

I did think it might look cute on a white purse (although I'd have to find a purse that I like first!), but maybe it's better on the dress, especially when taking pictures. Although, a Rarity purse with her cutie mark on it would be pretty fun, lol! :-)