Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Unread 10-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
ferinn

Hei mask Darker Than Black

This is my frist true cosplay that i've had to make stuff for. I've cosplayed as Light and L before but this time i'm wating to cosplay as Hei from Darker Than Black. So my frist step is to make the mask. i've ased around my school and stuff for tips on making the mask and all I've gotten was to use a baloon and paper meche. I've seen how this looks and i dont think it looks like it compared to some other masks i've seen. so can anyone give me some advice on how to make a decent looking mask? Please and Thank You

P.S. I can't buy anything online so thats why i'm making it.

Unread 10-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Why can't you buy anything online?
Unread 10-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
ferinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugginsseller View Post
Why can't you buy anything online?

I dont have a credit card for myself and my parents wont use there mony online because they dont have a seperate bank account for that. they dont want to have any chance of identity theft. i've tryed to convince them that there are sites that wont do that but they've got it through there heads that if they use there card even once someone will steal it.
Unread 10-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

You know you don't always have to use credit cards. There is a options of Cash/money order/ checks.
:]
Unread 10-31-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
ferinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugginsseller View Post
You know you don't always have to use credit cards. There is a options of Cash/money order/ checks.
:]

o.o Really? If you could, would you send me a link of a site or two like that? i've actully never seen any like that before and i'm horoble at serching online
Unread 10-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Haha no. I mean there are commissioners here that can make you the mask with those certain payments. You don't have to use credit cards or paypal.
Unread 10-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
ferinn

Could you send me in the derection of a few of these people? That would me much appreciated. ^^
Unread 10-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

I PMed you the information :] Glad to help.
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
whitebeast

Paper mache + Balloon = That is how my friend did a Silent Hill Nurse Mask. XD And it looked freakingly good.

The secret to good paper mache'd masks is that you have to make it REALLY thick. To the point that when you knock on the surface, you get a sound. Since if it's too thin, it's likely the mask will cave in. But if you actually hear a strong, sure sound. Then that means it's thick enough.

Once you're done with your paper mache you seal the thing with glue or some kind of hardener. Your choice. I've seen just GLUE used. I'm not quite sure right now which is first, sealing the mask or painting. @_@ I forgot. I'll get back to this in a bit.

I suggest you don't use a balloon. A balloon doesn't follow the shape of your face after all.

It's best you use a blank mask and then reshape it into a concave since that's how Hei's mask is shaped like. I think you can use paper mache to do that. But my prop making friends might tell me otherwise. I'll try to confirm with them. I think that's how they did their Tobi mask from a normal one. Don't forget to get the shape of the eyes right!

I really don't have enough experience on masking masks under my belt I have a little wee bit knowledge about it. I've been hanging out with people who seem to be the most hardcore where I'm at so I'm picking up a few.

o.o; I'll definitely ask for clarifications if my advice is too messy/vague to understand.

oTL
Unread 11-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
distantarray

you know almost every gas station wal-mart target or even the mall has pre-paid credit cards you can use for online transactions, or radio shack has pre-paid debit cards you can reload.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.