Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
ShovelBabe

Cosplay Knitting

Long before I ever got into sewing or cosplay I was an avid knitter. I still manage to pump out at least one project a month with all my other crafting going on. I've really been looking for a way to incorporate that into my cosplay. I know there are character with scarves, but I've been trying to think of other items that need to be knit for costumes. Can I have any suggestions? Also, does anyone think there would be a market for such items if I were to start making a whole bunch?
Typhoid Mary, Marvel (someday)
ShovelBabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2009, 04:19 AM   #2
Cosplay_Rose
Gold Rose Cosplay

You could knit little stuffed animals / characters to match your cosplay. I know I've seen them crocheted, but I'm not sure about knitted, to be honest, I can't always tell the difference just by looking at the finished product. But there could be a market for that if it's even possible. xP
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Dragon
Cosplay Fiend

What about Rinoa's blue top/vest-thingy? From Final Fantasy 8.
That one looks to be knitted.
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I'm currently finishing up Yukari's sweater (Azumanga Daioh). Fai has a nice Aran sweater in one of the Tsubasa art books. In SciFi there is, of course, Doctor Who's scarf and Jayne's cap (from Firefly). I've seen plenty of characters with basic ribbed sweaters/fabric as part of their outfits - Kallen Stadtfeld from Code Geass, Zack from Final Fantasy, erm, can't think of any other names off the top of my head right now - though I personally find plain stuff like that boring to knit. XD You can always do knit lace for any costume that has lace trim.

The little animals that Cosplay Rose mentioned are called amigurumi. Most are crochet, but I have seen a few patterns for knit ones.

As for a market - for hats, scarves and amigurumi and other "plushie" type things - possibly. For other clothing I would think that the cost of the yarn and labor would put it out of most people's price range. But there may be some people who are fanatical about "accuracy" who would be willing to pay for something that is the exact color and ribbed pattern as the character. Finding the perfect knit has come up a few times in General Costume Help. Searching "knitting" in that sub-form should turn up a few more character names.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
nessabutterfly

i knit most for my fullmoon accessories! http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1368680/
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Pocketfightr
Merc who grants wishes

I crochet, not knit... but I made a cap and fingerless gloves for my Steampunk. There's options out there for those type of things in knit. If you can give them a cute pattern, scarves and stuff might still sell even if they're not anime/game related.

I also make amigurumi and yea, there's not a whole lot of patterns for knitters but there's a few (there's a set of nautili patterns I would love to make if I ever learn to knit).

I'm not sure how much of a market there would be. You'd practically have to cut out labor cost to make the item in peoples price range due to it taking so long to make. (I had made a Totoro amigurumi that would have cost around $100 to sell if I factored in labor time. Not that I'd ever sell him. <3)
Nene (Bubblegum Crisis) -eventually?

2014 Cons:
Detour
Acen
Dragon*Con
Nebraskon
Pocketfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
vampirate

I'm working on knitting a Doctor Who scarf myself. But I know of at least one place you can order custom knit ones.

I think it would be neat to see some Coraline stuff knitted for real people. I know when the movie was out in theaters if you searched around on the site you could find a video of the lady who did all the knitting for the movie using tiny tiny needles to knit things like Coraline's blue sweater for the stop motion models.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirate View Post
I think it would be neat to see some Coraline stuff knitted for real people. I know when the movie was out in theaters if you searched around on the site you could find a video of the lady who did all the knitting for the movie using tiny tiny needles to knit things like Coraline's blue sweater for the stop motion models.
THIS. I want to learn to knit so I can make that star sweater. You can now actually download an official pattern for it in .pdf format from the official movie site. ^_^
I also found someone on a knitting community online made a pattern for the gloves she has in the end of the movie as well!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirate View Post
...video of the lady who did all the knitting for the movie using tiny tiny needles to knit things like Coraline's blue sweater for the stop motion models.
Very cool stuff. Frankly though, I not sure how well the star sweater would scale up. Fuzzy stars glued on sparkly yarn life-size? Nrh. For a large sweater, I think it would look better to do the stars as intarsia. The gloves look great though. And gloves are fun to knit.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I enjoy being able to knit as simply one skill among many in my repertoire. That way, I can use it if I need it, even if I don't seek out stuff deliberately to knit.

I started with a Gryffindor scarf, moved up to the bear hats for Wolfram and Yuuri from Kyou Kara Maou, and my biggest accomplishment is a ribbed turtleneck sweater for Jacques from Suikoden III.

There's stuff out there, it's just usually few and far between. Aside from certain hats or mittens or scarves, I don't know that there's a HUGE pile of knitting projects to make a lot of money off of. It may simply be a case of knowing that if you had to knit a custom sweater for a character, you could.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Pumpkin-Ed
The Hatter

I think knitting is very fun in cosplay, though you have to be very careful with were you use it. I knitted my Sweeney Todd's glows and scarf, but they were obviously meant to be knitted. When the material is illustrated as "bumpy", I think you can consider knitting it but give always a better thought about it. The contrast between some fabrics' surfaces is huge - for example silk and yarn. Shiny and mat. It doesn't look good.
Pumpkin-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
andy_lee08
andy_lee08

I know that Lightning from FFXIII has a brown sweater on under her vest. It's one I think will be hard to find to buy because it seems to have two different sized ribbing on it.
http://girlsofwar.files.wordpress.co...-lightning.jpg
andy_lee08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

There is also the movie 9 - somehow one can incoporate knitting into it.

Any series/books/movies that have a winter theme in it would be a goldmine for it.

Also, you could make cute hats and mittens ^_^ similar to those anime hats with ears, and you can make little kitty paw mittens or something too. If done well they could sell nicely.

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
wanderingdreamr
Needs to do more kniting

Well my first big knitting project was my Ravenclaw scarf (and I was so new that you can actually tell which end I started on and which end I finished on) but I haven't found more knitting yet. I want to make Yoite's scarf from Nabari no Ou but I think I need to learn how to make cables first, and I saw this short series called Time of Eve and I want to cosplay as the character in the green jacket and white hat and plan to knit the hat (once I get the hang of knitting hats).
wanderingdreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #15
Missiechan

Well, I did knit my entire Sailor Iron Mouse tunic, apart from the ribbon trim. It took ages and I used two different types of wool, Baby Knit and Fizzy Fluff. The effect was super-cute!