Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop

Unread 08-21-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
junfool

jrocker hair

im not into wearing a wig that much because it'll look too fake.

any other suggestions on how to get the hair? my hair length is a little below my neck. i don't want to cut it like boy-short...

and i want good hair dye too
junfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
Kaede
biku biku

Well who's hair do you want? And what color? You can look at pictures of jrockers with that length hair...even though it'll more likely be backcombed, not hanging loose...and you can create your own style. Kaoru from deg, Jun of Pierrot, Hyde of L'arc en Ciel all have that length.
For dye, I recommend Special Effects. For hair spray: Rave 4x.
Kaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2003, 09:44 PM   #3
junfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaede
Well who's hair do you want? And what color? You can look at pictures of jrockers with that length hair...even though it'll more likely be backcombed, not hanging loose...and you can create your own style. Kaoru from deg, Jun of Pierrot, Hyde of L'arc en Ciel all have that length.
For dye, I recommend Special Effects. For hair spray: Rave 4x.
i wanted to get a blonde color for my hair. i wanted to cosplay as kyo. but i'm still undecided. i want to either cosplay kyo or toshiya.
right now...my hair's a reddish-brown color and i'm asian so finding the right hair dye is hard.
Unread 08-21-2003, 09:57 PM   #4
Kaede
biku biku

Ah okay. The best products for bleaching to get Kyo's color would be Manic Panic (their strongest fx bleach) and then Special Effects in Bright Yellow mixed with a bit of their Mixer/Toner. Hope that helped ^^
Kaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2003, 10:54 PM   #5
junfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaede
Ah okay. The best products for bleaching to get Kyo's color would be Manic Panic (their strongest fx bleach) and then Special Effects in Bright Yellow mixed with a bit of their Mixer/Toner. Hope that helped ^^

oh thanks so much!! it helped a lot. do you know where i can get all the supplies and hairdye?
Unread 08-21-2003, 11:35 PM   #6
camuigackt

alot of hot topic stores carry the manic panic special fx bleaching kit. if youre not near and hot topic stores you can order online at www.hottopic.com or www.manicpanic.com, oh and getting your hair (or at least your ends) razor cut also helps for getting it perfect. scissor cuts for the most part leave a straight unlayered cut.
Unread 08-22-2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Mana-Sama`

I suggest you goto a Hair supply store or a Beauty supply store and buy hair bleach that way. Its more expensive but, in the past ive had bad experiences with Manic Panic.
Mana-Sama` is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 11:46 AM   #8
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Wigs don't have to look fake if they're done well and worn right - I love my wigs. If you do decide to go the bleach route, I second the recommendation to go to a salon - bleach is one way to mess your hair up really good, if you don't know what you're doing.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
Aiji Sasayaki
Bishounen J-Rocker

I'd get my hair professionally bleached..I've had bad experiences with Manic Panic bleach, but that might just be me. Dying wise, get plastic doctor gloves for your hands, and rub shampoo around your hairline. Manic Panic dye -will- dye your skin, and clothing, so wear something you don't care about, or put a towel on your shoulders, and put a towel on the ground. Shampoo will help in keeping the dye from dying your skin.
Aiji Sasayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
Aiji Sasayaki
Bishounen J-Rocker

Oh, and something helpful I learned. If they dye gets anywhere; counters, floods, or won't come off your hands, use nail polish remover. It gets rid of it.
Aiji Sasayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 03:29 PM   #11
Decibella
Sadistic Vanity

Wigs are your friend. Not neccesarily full ones, add ones and clip ons and dread falls can really make a look. J-Rock hair is often accomplished with wigs, weaves and clip on accessories for the really elaborate designs... How real can neon blue 12" hair spikes look any way? A good wig is really hard to spot, but you gotta spend the money for realism, plus a team of hairstylists might help, with alot of time and hairspray.
Decibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2003, 07:31 PM   #12
furrevig@yahoo

Its hard for me to find good wigs so i use my real hair most of the time.As far as styling hair I use a really strong hairspray from sallys called pump it up and a flat iorn.Works great *_*
furrevig@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2003, 04:45 PM   #13
Dahlia
tai mai shu

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrevig@yahoo
Its hard for me to find good wigs so i use my real hair most of the time.As far as styling hair I use a really strong hairspray from sallys called pump it up and a flat iorn.Works great *_*

Have you ever tried Ice hairspray? I was just wondering if the hairspray you used was better in holding aero-dynamic styles then the Ice. Also what type of flat iron do you use?
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2003, 11:22 PM   #14
furrevig@yahoo

I hear ice is really good stuff.I must check it out. My flat iorn is a vidal ceramic plated.It works pretty good. It just takes to long to heat up.
furrevig@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2003, 07:43 AM   #15
Macabre_Kyo
FXXXer

Kyo hair!

I've cosplayed Kyo...My hair is originally dark brown. I didn't use a wig for the costume either. I used blonde dye that I found at Rite Aid and dyed my hair a few times to get it blonde than I just used a normal bleaching kit (also bought at rite aid). They are about 10-12 bucks and my hair turned out a pretty cheese-y color...just like Kyo's. I assume that you could just go and buy a Loreal brand bleach kit form from any little store that sells hair dye. That should turn your hair the right color. As long as your hair is it's natural color to start with. I've noticed that it's harder to bleach hair that's been dyed. I don't think you should worry about your hair falling out either...I know that I do have thick hair but I've bleached my hair 5 times in 1 day before and nothing happened. As long as you condition your hair it should be ok.
But, if you go to a Beauty supply store you can buy the powder and the cream seperately (gloves and squeeze bottles not included. You get those in the kits though)...I'm not at all sure which kind will work the best. I've used both the packages and the seperate ones...they both seem to work.

Also for Kyo, if you need to get your hair to sick up in that sort of mullet-y puffy style I suggest using styling glue. Put it in right after you shower and let it set....than take chunks of your hair and hairspray the roots than blow dry it...it should puff up nicely if you brush it up. ^-^ Hope I was able to help you just a bit...

~ishiko