Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Member Events and Gatherings

Unread 11-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
niphrodel

Boston Cosplay Ice Skating, Dec '09

So, how 'bout that cosplay ice skating??

For those of you who know the deal, you can skip this description part, haha XD But basically, it's a tradition in the Boston cosplay community to, in December, dust off our ice skates, dress up in our coziest cosplays, and hit the rink at the Frog Pond on the Boston Common for a few hours of cosplay skating fun! Typically we all gather at the rink at midday or thereabouts, hang out, enjoy hot cocoa and snacks from the concession stand, and of course skate to our hearts content. Then once we all get too cold, people split off into different groups to go to the Prudential Center or Fanueil Hall or some other warm and festive place for dinner. It's always a fun, dorky time, and a great way to spend a Saturday of the holiday season - I mean come on, what could be better way to celebrate winter than by ice skating in our winter cosplays? XD

I'm going to be proactive here, and suggest a tentative date of December 5th (Saturday.) This is because a) I think Saturday tends to be better than Sunday for most people and b) the next weekend, the 12th, starts getting into exam period, and I think we'd all like to avoid that. Same deal goes for the 19th. And of course the 26th is out because most people will still be busy with Christmas celebrations.

Basic info:

When: Dec 5th, 1:00 PM
Where: The Frog Pond on the Boston Common
What you should bring: Your wonderful self, and a (WARM!) cosplay! Christmas-themed is a bonus but not necessary! Also, bring $4 to get into the ice rink, your ice skates (or $8 to rent a pair), and money for snacks at the concession stand.

Hope to see you all there!

Last edited by niphrodel : 11-25-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Unread 11-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
JohnThurston
Call me J.T. Or Cloudy =)

Sweet! I would love another opportunity to hang out and work on my awful skating skillz. I'm not sure about Dec 5th yet. But it seems like a good choice of date.
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
Starlightslk
Film Geek

I just got a new job where I don't work weekends \^.^/ So I have ice-skating marked on my calender for December 5...now I just gotta decide what to make...

Probable Con Schedule: Katsu, PAX East, Dragon*con, Bakuretsucon...always subject to change

Upcoming Cosplays: Mami(Madoka Magica), Morrigan(Darkstalkers)var, a Secret, &...?

"Immortality is a fantasy. Life is short, so we should take care of it. The shorter the life is, the more fight we have to make." ~Hatori Heiji (Detective Conan)

Inuyasha is a 200-year-old bantling and Sesshoumaru has a security fluffy.
Starlightslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Crystal Clover
Hatcher of Dreams

I totally want to come to this! I'll be 16 weeks pregnant by then, so no skating for me! I'm far too uncoordinated to test that! I've already skipped out on a few cosplay events, so I'm really itching to see everyone again!

Next Convention - unknown

Livejournal
Deviant Art
Feel Free to add me!

Last edited by Crystal Clover : 11-24-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Crystal Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
sephygoth
Hater lover

I'm definatly there o.o cosplay or crossplay I may skate, but it won't be much of a show.

Dam happy to see some kind of solid DATE for it this time. We've done polls in the past, and it always leads us to the coldest day of the year, and not very festive. Introducing a date forces people to balance their priorities and more color schemes XD
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Starlightslk
Film Geek

Got my cosplay all picked out...very similar to a past one for skating ...just gotta make a few modifications/new accessories and I'll be good to go! ^-^

Probable Con Schedule: Katsu, PAX East, Dragon*con, Bakuretsucon...always subject to change

Upcoming Cosplays: Mami(Madoka Magica), Morrigan(Darkstalkers)var, a Secret, &...?

"Immortality is a fantasy. Life is short, so we should take care of it. The shorter the life is, the more fight we have to make." ~Hatori Heiji (Detective Conan)

Unread 11-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Crystal Clover
Hatcher of Dreams

I agree, having a date in advance does help. Last year it was so cold for one of the events, half of us didn't even cosplay. Weather pending, this year might be the same for me at least. Not sure if i have the time (or energy) to pump out a new costume. I wouldn't mind making my white mage robe out of arctic fleece though *cozy*

Livejournal
Deviant Art
Feel Free to add me!
Unread 11-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
niphrodel

Ok so then December 5th is definite! See ya'll there!!
Unread 11-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Starlightslk
Film Geek

Good to know! ^^

I've got my cosplay just about ready to go, I'm going to be working on the last of the details this weekend.

Unread 12-04-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
Starlightslk
Film Geek

I hate to double post but it's been over a week and I wanted to post the weather update for this Saturday:

Saturday: Rain likely, mainly after 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 43. North wind between 6 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

It's looking like we'll be ok for 2 hours before the rain hits... hopefully the rain will hold off as the forecast is currently projecting. *crosses fingers*

Unread 12-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
Crystal Clover
Hatcher of Dreams

I really hope it doesn't rain! I'm wearing all white! AHAHA! Darkjawas and I are still coming. I've lost count on how many events we've had where the weather is predicted to be bad and it ends up being nice! A few people on the facebook event are still planning on coming rain or shine so it looks like there will still be a turnout (even though this thread isn't all that active)

Livejournal
Deviant Art
Feel Free to add me!