Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > The Orange Box

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #31
Sonified
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercedeity2 View Post
Look when I came to this forum I stated that I wanted a 100% badass suit. I didn't intend on wearing it a couple of times for giggles and then putting it away. If I just made it for show then it would be different, but I want to put blood and sweat into building this thing and make a work of art. I'm willing to spends months, if not years on this one project. Surely some of you understand that?
I already told you, kevlar.

That's the only thing that'll deal with weapon damage. Why the hell you're going to be taking weapon damage isn't my problem though, so lots of luck there, m8.
  Reply With Quote
 
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #32
4ng31
meh.
 
4ng31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercedeity2 View Post
Look when I came to this forum I stated that I wanted a 100% badass suit. I didn't intend on wearing it a couple of times for giggles and then putting it away. If I just made it for show then it would be different, but I want to put blood and sweat into building this thing and make a work of art. I'm willing to spends months, if not years on this one project. Surely some of you understand that?
Listen, if you want good, serious advice on how to build something like that, get the hell out of this forum now...you're not going to get advice like that here.

Check out the RPF (The Replica Prop Forum) for starters...those guys are probably the best there is in this hobby.
__________________
4ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #33
fiercedeity2
Registered User
 
fiercedeity2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonified View Post
I already told you, kevlar.

That's the only thing that'll deal with weapon damage. Why the hell you're going to be taking weapon damage isn't my problem though, so lots of luck there, m8.
That's perfect! Great, that'll take care of the cloth parts. Now what should I use for the armor pieces? I can't use metal since melting and casting is out of the question. But someone earlier did mention carbon fiber. But I need to get the shape of the hard parts first. What can I use to get the shapes? Should I carve clay and build a mold? Or is there another way?
fiercedeity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #34
fiercedeity2
Registered User
 
fiercedeity2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ng31 View Post
Listen, if you want good, serious advice on how to build something like that, get the hell out of this forum now...you're not going to get advice like that here.

Check out the RPF (The Replica Prop Forum) for starters...those guys are probably the best there is in this hobby.
Yes! Thank you so much! I'll check that asap.

And sorry for getting agro, I just get pissed when people call me a nublet. I go on the defensive.
fiercedeity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #35
Chergnomebyl
Landshark
 
Chergnomebyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercedeity2 View Post

Perhaps you should read before you go and say stupid things like you did.
You don't have to be an ass to people who are helping you FYIIIIIIIII.
Chergnomebyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #36
fiercedeity2
Registered User
 
fiercedeity2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugginsseller View Post
You don't have to be an ass to people who are helping you FYIIIIIIIII.
That wasn't to you man, you were actually quite civil and didn't down talk me the whole time like the other guys. Besides, I was requoting what someone said to me. You're cool in my book.
fiercedeity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #37
Chergnomebyl
Landshark
 
Chergnomebyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,235
Okay...well lose SOME of the attitude in the near future : P
Chergnomebyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #38
fiercedeity2
Registered User
 
fiercedeity2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugginsseller View Post
Okay...well lose SOME of the attitude in the near future : P
Sorry, I grew up with people always down talking me so I never take it well. Even out of jest, I always go on the defensive. But I'll try and keep my cool.
fiercedeity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:32 AM   #39
bishop27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 351
actually, i think u'd do well to use kevlar and there's nothing wrong with going the carbon fiber route to keep it light. i know u mentioned something about not using metal but unfortunately u will need metal to mold the carbon fiber against. tho i don't think it's too hard to create a clay mold and take it to a metal works facility to get it coated in steel. make sure it's a tough steel cause when the carbon fiber is set, it's put in a chamber where they heat it to really high temperatures at really high pressure. how about something like a kevlar jumps suit, that way u don't have to worry about attaching the kevlar to the carbon fiber.. that could be tough! haha.. maybe try researching the carbon fiber idea a bit more, see what the exact specifications the metal for the mold needs to be. it'd be a shame to do all that work laying the carbon fiber sheets just to have the metal mold collapse in during the heating and compression process!

i hope this helps at least a little, i'm really excited to see how this comes out. if u do end up using carbon fiber and kevlar, it's gonna be really really epic!
bishop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #40
Leon_Redfield
Resident Licker
 
Leon_Redfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,301
I'm sorry, I didn't know costumes that are video game replicas are going to be used in Iraq.

Have fun spending $5,000 on a costume.

Let me reiterate that.

Costume.
Leon_Redfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:40 AM   #41
Chergnomebyl
Landshark
 
Chergnomebyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercedeity2 View Post
Sorry, I grew up with people always down talking me so I never take it well. Even out of jest, I always go on the defensive. But I'll try and keep my cool.
Well do so and the Q about would the bondo look as good as the one you want. YES, if you sand it well and coat it with the right stuff and color with the right stuff :]
Chergnomebyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #42
Sonified
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_Redfield View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't know costumes that are video game replicas are going to be used in Iraq.

Have fun spending $5,000 on a costume.

Let me reiterate that.

Costume.
5,000 dollars won't come near the price that suit will cost. I'd go double that and then some.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #43
fiercedeity2
Registered User
 
fiercedeity2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_Redfield View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't know costumes that are video game replicas are going to be used in Iraq.

Have fun spending $5,000 on a costume.

Let me reiterate that.

Costume.
See, it's comments like this that piss me off.
fiercedeity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #44
fiercedeity2
Registered User
 
fiercedeity2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugginsseller View Post
Well do so and the Q about would the bondo look as good as the one you want. YES, if you sand it well and coat it with the right stuff and color with the right stuff :]
K, sounds good. I could always go that route if it becomes necessary. Thanks for advice, I appreciate it. :]
fiercedeity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #45
bishop27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 351
check out this website for both carbon fiber and kevlar. u would probably need what, 2-3 yards of each? doesn't seem like it would get too expensive. definitely not $5000, more like a few hundred $$.

http://www.uscomposites.com/shortroll.html
bishop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.