Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > SNK

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Piggynukka
Brodeo Cowgirl

Bonne Jenet dress help

I'm going to be making Bonne Jenet from King of Fighters for Sakuracon, looks remotely simple yeah?
I thought so until was thinking about it compared to how the back looks.
Here's a gif if that's helpful at all.

Now, there are very few B.Jenet cosplayers out there, but the few I have seen I generally dislike because they don't have that tightness in the top. (Not that they are bad, I would just like to fix this problem that I believe don't not look good)
This girl is gorgeous, but just trying to get the point of the front sagginess that I would rather avoid.
This girl has it down, but that doesn't really help me at all since the back is high.

So main questions..
1. Is there any possible way that I can make the back accurate and keep the rest of the costume looking accurate as well? In my mind, I'm thinking "Ok, you can get tightness from the fabric encasing you" and when I think of that, I just think of it popping off of my body if it makes any sense. I know if I can get this to work I'm going to need need a GOOD LOT of fashion tape to keep it on if I do so, but I'm just a little afraid that getting it to look like that is completely impossible.

2. Now, if the answer to number one is a yes, can you think of a type of pattern that could be altered to look like the top or a style of clothing that looks like it? I'm not the most experienced seamstress, but I can follow and modify patterns fairly well. I'm thinking I'm going to make the skirt separate and attach it later, as the belt could hide it or since one extra seam isn't going to hurt anyone. I've been looking through pattern books but I've had no such luck yet. I'd be willing to order something online but my search has hit a rock since I'm not even sure what I should be looking for in terms of style.

3. If the answer to number one is no, do you think it would look fine with a higher back? (Or) What would you do with it to make it work?

Thank you for your help in advance, any word of advice with greatly help me actually finishing this project.
Milk (Love Love Sugar)- Pop'n Music
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World the Game

Member of TigerDick cosplay: "We are cool and ballin' dudes."
Piggynukka is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!

It seems that your main issue is with a snug fit at the top, while keeping the open back. For that, I would suggest some double-sided tape. That way, you can keep the back open, but have the tape make it snug to your skin. The alternative to that is use a really thin, flesh-coloured, mesh (like dancers use on their more revealing costumes) and have that sewn on for the back of the dress. That way, from any reasonable distance, it looks like you have an open back, and still have the snug front, but really you don't. :P

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Piggynukka
Brodeo Cowgirl

Thank you so much for that! It was the push in the right direction. I went looking and happened upon this pattern.

I think with a little work and replacing whatever crosses on the back with clear straps might be my best bet in making this. Thanks again~
Milk (Love Love Sugar)- Pop'n Music
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World the Game

Member of TigerDick cosplay: "We are cool and ballin' dudes."
Piggynukka is offline   Reply With Quote