Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 08-24-2003, 07:44 AM   #1
jennekohan
蛙チョコレートがおいしいですね。

Question Transferring hair from one wig to another?

I just purchased a wig and I would like to add a little bit more hair to the bangs to make the sides a bit longer. The hair color is magenta/fuchsia and places like Dr. Locks and Ragdolly don't have wefts in the exact same color I need. The wig I got was pretty cheap, but the quality is still decent so I was considering purchasing another wig and trying to transfer the hair from one wig to the other. I have no experience with anything like this though so I'm a little lost. Has anyone ever done anything like this before and could recommend some tools for me to use? I was wondering if I would need something like Dr.Locks hot tools braid sealer? Would something like that be appropriate to cut and seal strands of hair together so I could sew them into the base of the wig? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
jennekohan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2003, 08:51 AM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Hmmmmm.. well, I suppose that you could carefully cut one of the wigs apart. If you look at the way a wig is put together, the hair is stitched in rows to the cap, sort of like wefts, so if you cut those rows carefully apart, you might be able to sew them onto the cap of the other wig. Maybe.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2003, 02:44 AM   #3
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennekohan
I just purchased a wig and I would like to add a little bit more hair to the bangs to make the sides a bit longer. The hair color is magenta/fuchsia and places like Dr. Locks and Ragdolly don't have wefts in the exact same color I need. The wig I got was pretty cheap, but the quality is still decent so I was considering purchasing another wig and trying to transfer the hair from one wig to the other. I have no experience with anything like this though so I'm a little lost. Has anyone ever done anything like this before and could recommend some tools for me to use? I was wondering if I would need something like Dr.Locks hot tools braid sealer? Would something like that be appropriate to cut and seal strands of hair together so I could sew them into the base of the wig? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I was adding streaks of colour to wig recently, and what I did was carefully cut up a cheap hairpiece and sew the pieces onto the base weft of my main wig. If you're using loose hair, the braid sealer is probably a good idea. If you're working from an existing wig, you can probably just cut the weft into little pieces like I did and then sew those in. ^_^

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2003, 04:39 AM   #4
jennekohan
蛙チョコレートがおいしいですね。

Alrighty, thanks guys! I'm going to look into purchasing a braid sealer because even though it would probably be easier to remove wefts from one wig and sew it to the other, I'd really like to keep some hair on the second wig. With the heat sealer I guess I can just take some off the bottom ends of the wig.
jennekohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 12:27 AM   #5
DarkindDreamer

you can also cut the ahir in twice the length and fold it in half and sew it down.. that's how ceaper wigs are put together... i once took a long haired cheap wig and cut it short and used the remaining hair to thickin it.. i just folded the hair in half and sewed it down with the machine.. it worked great.. hot glue also works.. hehe.. i;ve done that for last minute hair styles and it works fine.
Unread 09-19-2003, 08:50 PM   #6
umipixie

I have another question, very similar to this one (didn't want to start a whole new thread if the subject is already up :).

Fed up with not being able to find a long enough Chii wig WITH BANGS, I asked a costume supply store what they thought I should do. One lady suggested purchasing a 5' wig with no bangs as well as a shorter wig with bangs. She said I could cut the bangs off the shorter wig and sew them into the longer wig. I went ahead and ordered the two wigs, but I have no clue how to go about attaching the bangs to the longer wig. Just snip em off and sew em in? O__O I'm not so great with hair, so I'm afraid to touch either one until I get some advice from someone who knows what they're talking about. :P Thanks very much in advance if anyone can help.
umipixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2003, 12:47 PM   #7
Beware_UY7
Reckless Youth

Umipixie- You could just cut bangs into your would-be-Chii wig. You really don't need to get another wig. If you use a search engine, I'm sure you could even find a tutorial on cutting bangs into a wig. i think amphigory.com has a tutorial on cutting a fringe into a bangs-less wig.
Unread 09-20-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
Gren
Gender Bender

Well, as you've already ordered them.
When you look at the inside of a wig, you'll see that ther hair is actually in a big swirley spiral. Trim out the parts of the spiral that are the bangs. the hair won't come apart, as it's wefted together. Then just hand sew the bangs to the front of your Chii wig.
Unread 09-20-2003, 04:40 PM   #9
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

yeah...push the hair out of the way so you don't accidentally cut it, then carefully cut only the woven base of the wig. ^_^

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote