Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki

Unread 12-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
NeQuittezPas

Howl's Pants (Howl's Moving Castle)

I'm going to be starting work on a Howl and Sophie cosplay for my friend (Sophie) and myself (Howl). I've done other cosplays before, so I'm pretty confident in my abilities to handle Sophie's dress, Howl's shirt, and even his dreaded jacket. What I'm more worried about is Howl's tight fitting pants. The following is the only real picture I could find:

http://www.medienobservationen.lmu.d...der/howl_2.jpg

For those who are familiar with the movie, you know that Howl's pants are high-waisted and fit very tightly to his body. This is where I encounter the problem: not only am I not confident in my ability to make pants (previous efforts have been... interesting), those pants can go wrong in a lot of ways. I'd love to be able to but a pair like that, but the style isn't exactly all over the place. Plus, there's the tiny problem that Howl is a man and I am a woman. With pants that tight, I need something to hide my womanly curves-- and, as many may know, the best way to do that is to not wear tight clothing.

Any tips, good pattern/fabric suggestions, products, or ideas about how to hide my girl hips and thighs are welcome.
NeQuittezPas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

Being neither a woman nor someone who has much experience with fitting/fitted pants, I don't know that I'll be particularly helpful.

I suspect that using a period men's trouser pattern (Simplicity has one, as does McCalls) and altering it narrower should work. Be careful not to take it in too much in the hips or you won't be able to move.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote