Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 12-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Tyhm

How to make a Philosopher's Stone - Plasma form

If you want one that's simultaneously liquid and solid, you can't do much better than Liquid Marbles. They sell 'em in the floral section, or even in the dollar store...I got a bunch of clear ones and am currently soaking them in a mixture of purified water, red food coloring, and half a drop of blue for that slightly magenta hue. Because of the nature of Liquid Marbles, while they're submerged in a liquid they cannot be seen; but they can be pulled out of the liquid like magic in a viscous sphere. Because I'm using Clears, there's a bunch of spheroid pockets of lighter hue in the mix; however, because they absorb the water they're placed in, this seems to be diminishing. I kind of wonder how the pre-dyed ones would do...
24 hours in they're already color matched. Be careful to keep adjusting the mixture they're in, as 1: food coloring will settle if left to its own devices and 2: as they absorb the colored water they're also leeching out clear water.

And they're bouncy, which is also fun. And slippery, which can be tricky. Nontoxic if you wanna go crazy, but they are a choking hazard.

The standard advice for finding a cool looking test tube applies...I swear by rubber stoppers, you can get 'em in the Miscellaneous Drawer at Lowe's...craft corks look nice, but they degrade like nobody's business.

Last edited by Tyhm : 12-17-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Tyhm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Tyhm

Important note:
These bastards expand like nobody's business. I advise against trying to fill a stoppered container with them; while they're a bit rubbery, you're likely to find they've pushed the cork out while your back is turned.
Seriously. I loaded one test tube and had to pull out half another test tube just to get the cork back on. It was like a clown car. It's not even like they float...
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Yaexrae

Awesome! I was wondering how one could manage to do this. I was thinking of using a borax slime recipe that I used to make when I did chemistry demos for kids, but that would involve stealing vinyl-something-or-other from the chemistry department to get clear-looking slime. Your idea seems much better! ^_^
Yaexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Tyhm

Slime/Putty's fun too, but this has the advantage of instantly snapping into a ball shape. :-D

Still growing, incidentally, I'm up to 4 tubes from the original 2...eek!

Important note - apparently these bastards will expand as far as they have the fluid to, possibly limited by container size; while large ones look good, they also break easily. Which can also be fun, but the practical upshot is you might not want to fill the tube until showtime.

Here's what it looks like: http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d.../philstone.jpg

Last edited by Tyhm : 12-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
hummus212

Hi I was wondering how you got the liquid marbles to fit the for of the vial/container. Considering that the marbles come in a spherical form that is, did you mash them or something, or did they just come in a generally liquid form.
hummus212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Tyhm000
Regular User

(Sorry for the delay)
They expand as they hydrate, and they're naturally pretty...pliable I guess? Not exactly compressable, but they will squish themselves out of spherical shape.
Tyhm000 is offline   Reply With Quote