Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 01-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Lilia Pascalle

How Do I Sew Extensions Into Wig?

How would I sew in extensions where this is parted? Or should I sew the extensions in under a layer of hair on each side and mix/pull the colored hair through the black? This will be my first time sewing extensions into a wig.. The colored extensions should be on top of the black.. but if that can't be done without looking like there are extensions poorly sewn into the top.. then eh..

Last edited by Lilia Pascalle : 05-02-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Lilia Pascalle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I'm not entirely sure what you wan to achieve here. Normal I sew wefts between the wefts in the wig to add thickness or layers of colour

If your adding streaks to your wig and is at the top only your going for then you will need to cut where in the crown you want the colour to "grow" out of. Sew the weft to the netting you cut on the one side then sew the other side closed again. If it's coming out of the part then cut where the part travels.

http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigtutorial_parting.html

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

If the wig has a skin top that you want the streaks to 'grow out of', use Katie Bair's back parting tutorial that Ani_BEE linked to. (You don't want to sew in that many extensions, of course, just a few tiny strands of loose extensions here and there.)

If the wig doesn't have a skin top where you want the extensions to be, get yourself some wefted extensions and simply sew them to the undermesh inbetween the existing wefts.

For a more natural look, you may want to do both, so that there are subtle highlights all over the wig and not just on the top or in the bottom layers.

Last edited by Kukkii-san : 01-07-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote