Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
Wuffin

Details

Iím making a Cosplay of a character in an old game. This means, that there is almost no special details on the character. I thought I could add some, but it feels wrong and Iím not so sure what to add.

What should I do? Do the costume as it is, or add my own details? And if Iím adding, any idea of what to add/change to make it look "better"?

(The costume is Deku Princess from Legend of Zelda Ė Majoras Mask)
Some of my preferences:
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Zelda06/.../2/2_Deku1.jpg
http://coco.raceme.org/videogames/ze...kuprincess.gif
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Zelda06/...kuPrincess.jpg
Wuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Patches
she killed a man

Honestly, I wouldn't "add" anything to it that's not there. That design is interesting enough as it is. I think if you do really well getting EVERYTHING you see in the images there, you'll look awesome and people will love it for what it is.

At most, I'd be sure to get the "deku-ish" texture across on her head. Don't make it too smooth-looking. This costume just needs simple clean construction and a great paint-job, not the presumption that adding details makes things better. That's the Achilles' heal of simple costumes, getting everything that IS there as accurate as possible. Proportion is the main thing with this one. Sometimes the simple characters are more awesome than the ones laden down with unneeded gingerbread.

Last edited by Patches : 01-07-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
LollieRot

Dekus come from the earth. They don't need glitter to make them sparkle, that's what's so appealing about nature; they look simple, yet elegant. Focus on the fabrics and flowers of the character. BTW, are you doing face make-up or a full body outfit to slip on? I'm very interested in how you're going to make it!
LollieRot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

that game looks like it has plenty of detail, doesn't look old..I thought you meant like.....oldschool final fatnasy 8 bit graphic type stuff.

dont add anything
NYCC 2015

Planned cosplays: Wiccan- young avengers
Klarion Bleak the Witch Boy
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
Wuffin

I guess im just second guessing when i look at what I've done recently. I just really want to make an interesting design, but maybe i just didn't realize that it already is. Thank you, you've really raised my confident xD

LollieRot: Im making a dress right now, and I've made a mask that definitely isn't "smooth" to go with that. Im simply planning on making everything as accurate as possible, just bigger scale.
Wuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Xaevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braithcakes View Post
that game looks like it has plenty of detail, doesn't look old..I thought you meant like.....oldschool final fatnasy 8 bit graphic type stuff.

dont add anything
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, when I was making my Black Mage outfit I was looking at the 8 bit model and then the new versions and had to decide if I wanted the stupidly detailed open robe look or the completely blue robe + yellow hat simple style.

In the end I decided that sometimes simplicity is key and that it just matters if you can do the basics with more effort and attention.
Poe (Legend of Zelda) - Completed (AnimeNext 2013)
Xaevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Sisshi
Sexy Leg Woman

The reference images you've provided (and having played the game) I wouldn't add anything to her, she's got quite a bit in there already. Just stick with the original design and spend the time trying ot get the fabrics to match right.
Animarathon: White Mage (Final Fantasy)
GarasuNoShiCon: Aranea (Homestuck)

My binding results with the Underworks compression shirt, Check it out ^^
Sisshi is offline   Reply With Quote